Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

I am so heartbroken bear_cry we had a guinea pig named Angel, she was around 6 and a half yrs. old, she seemed to be quite fine yesterday although I noticed she wasn't drinking as much water for a hot day. I took her out of her cage for her daily cleaning around 8pm and she started panicking and running around and gasping for air, I didn't know what to do!!! besides run around and cry and panic myself!! The nearest vet that treats small animals is 35-40 minutes away! All I did was panic held her tried feeling her throat, maybe she was choking? it was like she had convulsions? twice and then she gone, passed away on my lap while I held her. I have never felt so helpless in my life bear_cry Could I have saved her if I knew what to do? even the cats notice she's gone. We also had to put our little hamster to sleep yesterday because he was so sick and not reacting to antibiotics. The only thing the vets in this town do is put small animals to sleep if there is a very good reason. I am full of guilt with Angel. Does anyone here know what could of been wrong? a heart attack? I'm so so sad bear_cry That's 5 animals in 2 years.......

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that Brenda... that must have been an awful experience.

Probably she had a heart attack.  Either that or a stroke: I suppose at least she was well up until she passed away: plenty more fun memories and less ill ones.  You couldn't have done anything. Sometimes it's just their time to go: don't feel guilty...

:hug:

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Brenda,
:hug:  :hug:  :hug: It is so hard to lose pets!!!I found this site & you might find it helpful.
http://www.guinealynx.info/

Hugs &

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  My daughters had Guinea pigs when they were growing up but, while they lived several years, the pigs died suddenly with no symptoms or warning.  They didn't die at the same time, but several months apart.  Please try not to feel guilty . . . 6 years is probably a good life span for Guineas.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh I'm so sorry, it is so sad when a pet goes to heaven!

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Aww that is really sad, you couldn't have done anything and at least you were holding her  :hug:  :hug:

Pauline

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

It sounds like a heart attack to me, and no, I doubt there was anything you could do to avert it.  :hug:   Guinea pigs don't tend to live overly long, and six years is a ripe ole age.  I'm sure your Angel knew how much you loved her  :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Brenda I am so sorry!!! bear_cry   Do not feel guilty about anything at all!  Feel comforted in knowing that she knew she was loved and you were with her till the end...   :hug:

I thank you all for your kind and helpful words, you are all such caring people! :hug: There is a story as to why we called her Angel and I will tell it later as I have to run to the city for more pet supplies. Wonderful people you are bear_wub

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I'm so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like you did everything you could - I'm sure it was comforting for Angel to be on your lap.  Sending you many hugs.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Brenda: So sorry about your guinea pig. It is hard....I don't know what happened but there was nothing you could do really. Don't be hard on yourself. Many hugs for you.... :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

mumka Posts: 80
Website

This  is so sad, I'm sorry to hear about your Angel... But know she is in her new home now, don't worry  :hug:  :hug:

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Brenda,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  You did everything you could and you were there holding her until the end and that should give you some comfort that she wasn't alone.  Don't blame yourself I think 6 is quite old.

Jane

thanks for the sweet words bear_wub Here's the little story of Angel....... My daughter and I went to the pet store for stuff and spotted this baby guinea pig all by herself, so we told the people we wanted her and he said that one isn't for sale because she had a broken leg and I asked how that happened and the girl there proceeded to tell me that some teenagers came into the pet store and started to see how many guinea pigs they could step on! they were all on the floor in a pen. She told them to get out or she will call the cops[ I would of called them anyway!] but this little girl was the one that got hurt. I told them I don't care that she's hurt, I want her so he let me buy her. We named her Angel because she survived. It's amazing how much they can mean to us, these innocent little animals bear_wub  bear_wub

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Oh Hon,  I'm sorry!  I was devistated when we lost our piggie. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I'm so sorry for your loss but how wonderful that you were able to hold her when she passed.

How special that you adopted Angel even though she was not perfect....we adopted a little poodle that was born with no eyes and she has no idea that she has a slight handicap (we think that she is perfect) and we feel so lucky that she is part of our family...obviously you felt the same way about your little Angel.

:hug:
~Kathy

I so love all animals and picking one that's not perfect is so me, as well as you Kathy and probably everyone here bear_wub I'm more of the quiet type but when I see animal abuse I go BALISTIC!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I am so truely sorry :hug:  bear_cry I too know the helplessness and the guilt that comes with losing a Pet.
I have no answers for you since I'm asking the same questions myself. My heart goes out to you Brenda :hug:
Wendy :hug:

all your replies mean so much to me. I'm sorry for each and every one of you who have also lost you pets bear_cry We will see them again someday bear_wub that has to be true :pray:

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Awe Brenda. I am so sorry my Dear! Please know we feel your sadness too and you are in our thoughts and prayers. Our little furry friends can be our second family and I certainly know your pain having just lost a pup a few weeks ago!

Hugs Louise

Thank you everyone bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Brenda I am so sad to hear about Angel.  Just be thankful you were with her in the end to hold and comfort her.  You too are an angel for giving her a loving home after those horrible kids hurt her .   bear_cry  bear_cry

Stellajella Wien

Brenda, I´m sorry! I know how hard it is, to loose a loved pet!
Angel now is a true angel, she won´t ever forget you! :hug:

Gaby bear_flower

you gals bring tears to my eyes for all the compassion you have bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_angry Frankly I would have been tanning some teenage hide!!!   bear_angry  I'm with you when it comes to animal abuse.....God help 'em!

Angel truly was an angel to survive that, and what a lucky little girl to get to come home with you  :hug:  I did much the same when I brought home my pet rat Ringo.  He was black with white booties and a white star on his forehead (yep, Ringo Star  bear_rolleyes )  The store owner was against him being black to begin with, but when he got his tail accidentally broke (we think he broke it on the exercise wheel...possibly one of the other rats hopped onto the wheel when he was inside), she wanted to sell him as snake food  bear_shocked   That wasn't happening, he was far, far too sweet, so he came home with me instead.   bear_wub

Board footer