Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

sarahjane Brisbane

Hi I was wondering how everyone here goes about forming a mailing list? I have been asking anyone who buys from me whether they want to be placed on my mailing list....with some limited succes, but I understand that there are some of you who just add everyone who buys to your mailing list and then wait for them to ask to be removed....is this true and if you do this do you ever get anyone who becomes upset at being added when they didn't ask to be?

I haven't been game just to add people but I was wondering if this is the way you're supposed to do it?

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Nope, I NEVER just add anyone. I personally think it's rude. I will email them and ask if they want to be added - almost all of my previous customers do want to be added but I don't feel comfortable adding them unless they specifically want to be.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I just have an email link which people click and send to me if they want to be added. I get two or three a week usually...I don't automatically add people who buy bears..say on eBay..I would not like anyone to add me without my asking.

sarahjane Brisbane

Are you allowed an email link on your auction page on Ebay?  I am always worried about breaking ebay rules!!  bear_ermm

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

We ask everyone.  We also explain that we do not sell or share our list with anyone.  We make it fun to sign up. :bday:  :bday:  :dance:  :dance:
Typical interaction:
Me: Do we have you on our mailing list?
Customer: No
Me: Oh that's terrible...  Would you mind signing the book, that way we can send you postcards for our upcomming shows.  We usually give $2 to $3 off admission and sometimes free admission to our shows, you just never know.  We don't inundate you with mail and we do not share or sell our list to anyone.
Customer: Oh that's great... I don't like to get tons of junk mail, but I don't mind getting discounts on admission.
Me: Sometimes we even send out coupons for free shipping or discounts on our bears.
Customer: Even better. Thanks.
Me: You're welcome and thank you for signing our mailing list.

If anyone ever requests to be removed from the mailing list I do so promptly.

sarahjane Brisbane

Thanks Jared...there are some good ideas there...I was thinking about running a special give away bear once a year for my mailing list customers.......but I'm not sure how it would work yet...

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I also always ask a person before adding them to the list.   

You cannot put a mailing list box in your auction... but I believe you can put one on your About Me page.  Then... you can state in your auction... "if you'd like to know when new bears are available, see my About Me page."

I also have a sign up box on my website.

sarahjane Brisbane

OK Thanks Laura Lynn for clearing that up...I am always a bit paranoid about putting anything on my ebay page without knowing if I am allowed.....and thanks everyone for your input on this, it is always interesting to hear what everyone has to say!!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

You can write in your ebay listing...
If you would like to join my mailing list contact me
You can not put any java scripts on your listings or on your about me page. I found that out the hard way.
You can place on your about me page a link to your e-mail.
Link to my about me page.
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl … d=hare1990

Here is the html that I use to create the join my mailing list link:

<p><font face="times" size="3"><br>
If you would like to be added to my mailing list<br>just drop me an e-mail with <a href="mailto:jarehares@frontiernet.net?subject=Add Me to your mailing list">
"Add Me To Mailing List"</a> in the subject line.

Feel free to use it just change the section that is bold to your e-mail address.

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Sarah-Jane,

I have a mailing list through Yahoo Groups which I advertise on my website and also at the end of my email signature.

I invite customers to join if they want to.

I have given away one bear per year for the past 3 years through my mailing list.  I literally write all the members names on a piece of paper and draw one out of a hat!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

And I have never been lucky enough to win one of Catherine's adorable bears  bear_sad
For the last while I've been giving bears away also.  Usually one or two or christmas time, and the odd ones during the year.  I also offer discounts throughoutt he year.  Members love it.

I also would NEVER add someone without them asking me to add them, or wihtout me asking them first.  Mailing lists are a great way of advertising.  Most of my business is from repeat customers who are on my list.
Danni

sarahjane Brisbane

I was wondering . I have been asking people if they want to join my mailing list at the same time as I send a thankyou for their payment...etc. Perhaps if I sent a seperate letter that would be better, then I could let people know that I won't bombard them with spam etc etc...

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Sarah-Jane,

Sending a separate email sounds like a good idea.

What I've started doing is actually including a little "flyer" in their package with the bear, inviting them to join the mailing list.  It's been very effective so far bear_thumb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I get people joining by clicking on the link on my web site.  I give my mailing list discounts on bear orders depending on how many bears ordered etc...I think that helps the sign up rate too and number of bear sales.  But working with orders may be different to auctions.  If customers only order one bear the next bear has a discount....by working in little incentives it really gets your mailing list growing.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Mmm I just ask when I send them payment details.  I think another email might be annoying - but that's just me....

It'll start growing once you get some people hooked on your bears!   bear_thumb
Danni

Board footer