Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Black Forest Bears Haus of Bears, Inc.
Largo,Florida

classic.jpgHi,

I am working since a week now on more traditional, classical Bear Pattern, and here is my first finished Bear, ( after numerous others before him), but somehow he is not quiet right in my opinion.
Am I missing something, or what did I do wrong??
He sure dont look like those old classical Bears to me.

Pleeease let me know your opinion about him, even if you tell me he is an ugly beginner bear, I can take it!!
( I am weird anyway, I thrive on critic )
Rita

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

He is gorgeous... personally... just personally... I am not sure how well Polar Bears suit  traditional style bears... They seem to look much better in golds etc.

Apart from that, he looks really good!  Go on, try the pattern in something other than  a polar!

Danni

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

His proportions look traditional to me...maybe the body needs to be a little longer??  Only from the photo, it may be okay in person.
I think you've done a great job of a traditional bear.  The ears, round head and long arms and legs, and he is hunched over bear_original Well done :cool:
Hugs sarah

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Rita!  Wow, he looks great to me!  I'm certainly no expert on traditional bears.... maybe a bit thinner through the shoulder area?  That's about all I can think of...... of course, it's tough, all the traditional bears I've ever seen are so old and "well loved" (I LOVE that description, so much better than beat up old thing!) I think all that lovin' & squeezin' kinda squishes them up a lot more than they were originally designed to be... they kinda end up looking a bit more skinny than they might otherwise have been born to be!  Of course I guess it depends then, on whether you are going for what a traditional bruin would have looked like when he was born, or what he would have looked like after a long, hard life of being someone's soulmate..... 
He's lookin' mighty fine to me though!
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

A very wonderful bear, Rita!  I agree with Danni that a different color would be just the thing.  Try him in tan, brown, gold or some such color.  Also, how big is he?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I love his expression- I wonder if his ears could be a wee bit bigger?  He's not ugly at all you silly thing.  However, even though I love the expression is it a 'traditional' expression?  I'd have to get out some books, but I think the noses tend to be a little different?

I think you have great proprotions-And his fur is very intrigueing- what is it?  He looks like a cuddely chenile bedspread.  yummy. 

I'd say you've done a bang up job!- And if you want to fine tune it well you can, but he is pretty nice just the way he is.

bear_tongue

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Rita, he is great. I would definatelly use tan, old gold, some antique crash colors for him. The body and the shoulders are attracting too much attention to me. I would use maybe bigger joint size on shoulders. Or just change his body:and  make it a bit thinner and longer, and  wider in shoulders. I like his expression I like sad bears in any ways, but was just thinking about shading. Does traditional bears have shadings? Maybe not that much... That's my opinion only on the traditional bear. Your cuttie looks very good job to me.
Oh, just a thought...maybe tie him a ribbon or  aged bells on a lether band.

Hugs, Julia

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

He is a lovely Bear Rita,
I was thinking if the mohair had a longer pile he could look different.
Keep going and try different colours as even with the same pattern they can look
entirely different.

Carolyn

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Rita, he is cute !!!! 
I'm no expert on traditional bears and
I can't give you any advise but he is very
attractive to me! :D
I like his color and short pile♪
But I do agree with everyone else,
tan color will be perfect for traditional bear.

Good luck to you!
Hugs/Marie

Black Forest Bears Haus of Bears, Inc.
Largo,Florida

Thank you all soo much for the advice, tips and hints.
Now I get the Idea what dont quiet look right, and I put all your advice in my next pattern, and the result will be coming in the next couple of days.
Thank you again I really appreciate it. It is nice to come on this board and ask for help.

Rita

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I think your pattern is spot on. Perhaps a longer distressed fabric and smaller eyes? I don't think it matters too much when you have got the pattern right. Nice bear.

Deb Upstate New York

Rita ~

No expert here, but I wonder if only his arms were a smidge lower.  (I should have attached my Avatar bear's arms lower.)  Put your finger over the part that sticks up in the picture above the shoulder ... or so it appears.  Sometimes hard with a picture.  I like him.  Also agree try tan or other darker color.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Rita,

Your bear is very nice.  If you want a more traditional color, take your mohair to a tea party.  Brew yourself a cup of tea and make extra to dye the mohair.  It makes a really nice "antique" look.  Remember, mohair bears like their tea strong (no sugar or cream please).

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Steiff94Rep08.25in..jpg(:/ I hope this works)

Here's a 25" white Steiff made in 1994, a replica of the 1908 version

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

HE IS ADORABLE RITA!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Deb, just tell anyone who asks that your little guy is shrugging, like;  " I don't know who ate the cookies."   You could even have an empty cookie jar by him. bear_grin  Then you don't have to feel like the shoulders are too high.  bear_laugh  I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything.  I just think of him as "DEB" bear_grin

Eileen, you sweetie pie.  Can't get anymore traditional than this huh?

So Miss Rita, it will be fun to see what yu do ;)

bear_tongue

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Rita,
I think your bear is FAB!

I usually understuff the arms and legs at the tops a little so they sag and flop a bit - give them smaller, flatter noses and loosely joint them.  A looser stuffing in the body gives them a nice wrinkly look too.

Having said all that, your bear is perfect and very sweet and i love the colour too (i've got a soft spot for pale bears).

Here's a piccy of the old looking bear that i'm flogging on ebay at the moment Rita - let me know what you think.

Penny bear_happy

lostblue3.jpg

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I love your bears, Rita and Penny!

I've got a wonderful book called "Christie's Century of Teddy Bears". It's full of gorgeous old bruins from a variety of manufacturers.

Penny's right about the upper arms--if you just pulled out a bit of stuffing and reclosed the arm with a slightly wider seam, you might get an older look without major hassle. A smaller nose (though I love the bigger noses) would also look more antique. Otherwise, the shapes and proportions look about as antique as anyone could get them.

But unless you really, really want to age him, I think people would love him as he is!

Eileen

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Rita!!

I think your bear is cute too, but how about making the snout a bit more pronounced/longer??   I love old bears, they've such character!!  I also like to dirty mine up, with wax, newspaper print and paint.   How about trying to make an antique replica using the BACK of the mohair as the RIGHT SIDE??   Stuff him lightly and weight him, he'll be all saggy like an old 'un!!   This way the bear will look bald as if all his mohair has rubbed off.  Also perhaps decorate the bear with an old fashioned collar or bell or key?

I study old bears lots to get ideas, books, postcards and even old bears that I'm lucky enough to own, or even at museums, take your sketch pad, but most of all, HAVE FUN!!;);)

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Rita ,,what Penny said!!  Penny that bear is brilliant.

Rita is it a traditional or an aged bear?
I would have chosen a different fabric .sparse, felted , in a gold or tan, maybe reddish shades.
I would slim down the shoulders and thighs.
The fabric you chose is what I usually choose for tummys and for mini bears. I've also used it on paws and feet.
I think the fabric you are after is a "no hair mohair".  For a modern bear I love him. He may not be the traditional bear you're after, but shade his feet ,shoulder and chest area give him a big bow and you have yourself one spectacular bear.:cool:  All the best on your next pattern.

Board footer