Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

havent posted much lately..happy birthday to all of those i missed! love the cute puppy pictures and im in agony reading about all your beloved pet losses..my heart goes out to all of you. i have been mostly just "dropping in" and reading a few every day or so..been a busy few months but i enjoy listening to everyone..i have been trying to learn to make banners and avatrs..and know just enough to be confused as heck..is there a simple way to make a nice avatar/or banner? the collage type? what programs do you use?  help !  im so discouraged!  deb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I use Paint Shop Pro.
Photo Shop works for banners and such too.
But it takes me forever to make one! It's always a learning experience.... 4 years later! :crackup:

Fairfax,Vermont

i have all the bells and whistles programs..but cant find a simple tutorial that deals with the whole thing step by step..i took a few classes but i just cant seem to relate their "mock sites" to what i want to do..have discovered some stuff by accident..do you work in layers? and do all the fancy burnt/torn edges and stuff or assemble pre made? am i sounding as dumb as i feel? bear_rolleyes   deb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I got tired of designing my own. It can get frustrating if you dont have the right programs or are unable to use the programs  efficiently.
Dont be discouraged though. What one can't do doesnt mean everyone can't.
Look in the library link above and you will find some great tutorials.
ESPECIALLY graphic ATO challenges set up I think by Shelli.
I ended up taking the easy way out and had a graphic art business design mine. They designed my hangtags as well.
Wendy :thumbsup:

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=13119
go to this link and do this challenge as a starter. It will get you use to layers and anything else that crops up.
Problems and answers are all in the postings.
HAVE FUN!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Layers????? bear_noexpression

Just kidding! :crackup:
But the answer is no.... not really.... I don't think so.... I do it the very inefficient way...separate images then cut and past them on top of eachother in the oder I want them but not as separate layers cause I could never figure out how to get back to a layer and edit it. Makes a difference if it's a raster or vector layer or some such nonsense.

I think I should try Shelli's challenge and learn a thing or two! I never followed that thread. I think I missed out! bear_sad Wanna do it, Deb?

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

I love doing this kind of stuff , do you care if I put something together?
Hugs Jodi

Fairfax,Vermont

jodi thats sweet of you! if you want to play go ahead..bt im kinda committed to figuring this out! committed being the key word!  yes to daphne and thanks fo rth links matilda! i will go check that out! i id some more surging last night and did find some sites geared to kids projects that were really simple..helped with one of the problems im having with resizing layers! i will send the links if i get time later! off to work ..theres a catthat been the of my wildlie out in the yard..and its laying in the grass..looked dead at first ..but its not..just trying to con my dh into looking closer to see if its alright..he doesnt really want to..deb

WA

id find some sites geared to kids projects that were really simple..helped with one of the problems im having with resizing layers! i will send the links

Do send the links. If its kiddie stuff then maybe I could learn something. ( I am being sincere here) bear_thumb

00avatar.jpg

I used "Microsoft Picture It" to make this, I think you can use other programs the same way, I used the edgefinder tool to cut out your wonderful bear, then I opened a new project and the size was 4x5 and put a solid colored square over it, I used a color that would match the bear, then I copied the cut out bear and pasted it onto the colored square leaving enough room at the top for your name, then I placed another square covering the project, then I cut a window out of that square so you could see the bear underneath. I changed the square line color to white to creat the border. Then I used a shaped text and used a shadow on the letters so to make them stand out.  It was very simple and really quick, the main thing with using those type projects is just to practice on it a lot. Your bear is very handsome and you are very artistic so you will get the hang of it very fast, I bet.
Hugs
Jodi

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good work Jodi!

I use photoshop. But it does have steep learing curve...........plus if you have to buy it it's very expensive.

Fairfax,Vermont

okay lets see if i can upload this first try,,boy was this alot of work!

Thanks, It  went really fast, what a great bear to work with, it reminds me of the steiff that is red.  The thing you have to do is just play around with it, I did goofy unimportant stuff just to get practice in the beginning, the info Shelli posted in the other thread helps sooooooooo much.

Picture it came with something we bought, but my sister was here a little while ago and she kept trying to talk me into a new program, which she says is so much easier then picture it and it's free to download , I'll find out what it was and post it later.

If you don't want to use that picture please know, that I would not be offended , I really had fun working with your bear and thought the only way I could give help, is by doing it , then post the step by step thing.

Hugs
Jodi

Fairfax,Vermont

jodi you did a great job! and thanks for the lovely compliments! i did play around with the st patricks day stuff..and tried to upload it ..will try again and see if i got it right..i didnt use all the elemnts and i added some new ones..the layers things is still confusing..and the rainbow kicked my butt! how do you make it rainbow shaped?!mytest.jpg

That looks GREAT!!!!!!!,  I love all the things Shelli listed to put these together, aren't they wonderful. Have you checked on google images under rainbow? I am not sure on that one I bet there is a really cool way of doing it , Oh Shelli???????????

Fairfax,Vermont

if you type in.. adobe digital kids club..into google they have links to the stuff i looked at. they are simple for kids and teachers to use..yeah kids! thanks for input! makes you appreciate the graphics designers etc! jodi your bears and mice are adorable..love the mouse with the buttons!  appreciate your taking the time to chat! where are you from? i didnt see that part anywhere..  come on daphne//where's yours? blow my socks off..   bear_grin  bear_grin deb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh yeah....  :doh: I'll be back...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

stpatricksdayavatar.jpg

I love the pastel color scheme Shelli provided but that rainbow threw me off color wise. I know, I could have made it pastel but then it's not an irish rainbow... that wouldn't be right.

I can not, for the life of me figure out how to make text or say the rainbow arch. I did it once... totally by accident... don't remember how.

I've got 3 orders waiting for me so I can't play too long now but will have to figure it out soon!

Fairfax,Vermont

oooh very cute! i a a text curve somewhere but not anything that would let me "CURVE" an object..i went right down the list of filters etc..i can warp and zg zag etc..its something odd i bet.. well go make bears woman!  three orders! the heck with me! make bears!  theres a hot air balloon up over my house this morning..i lovethat about this  place!  happy day people!   deb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, I've always wanted to ride in a hot air balloon... sort of... I've become a little afraid of heights in my old age! Ha! We have a hot air ballon festival here in a couple of weeks...... 3 days! It's such fun to watch them! Enjoy the day, Deb!

WA

I checked out the kids adobe site. They have stuff to download on trial. I havent done it yet because I dont have the time to play. But I am listening and taking in what you guys are up to.
  In one of my programs that I muck around with has a curving toggle that looks like a broken circle around a dot.
I have been able to curve lots of things with this tool. Just thought I would mention it incase it has been passed by by you guys. Thats if the programs you are using has such a toggle that is.
Wendy bear_thumb
PS: I have always had plans todo Shelli's Challenges.

Fairfax,Vermont

thanks matilda i will look for that tool//may be there somewhere! we had our balloon festival 2 weeks ago an das usual it rained and was foggy..but they got some off the ground anyway,,breaks in the weather...theres another one in Queechee vt later this summer? nice area..deb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, we've been to the one in Queeche.... we always go to the big antiques mall while we're there!  bear_thumb

Fairfax,Vermont

oooh i love that mall! i grew up in rutland so it wasnt so far..cute vinatge diner in the parking lot now too..they actaully have revamped the whole area,,and have a number of antique shops..some are pricey..woodstock is beautiful just to look! there is a farm stand place o rte 4..way up on a hill that sells cooked corn on the cob in season..nice ride anyway! deb

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Oh my first one was easy, I called on the experts and Shel did mine  :crackup:  :crackup:
Then Shel came up with a challenge , shamrocks and rainbows and this had me sitting at my computer with the Adobe program pulling my hair out, trying to make an avatar. However I did learn and it was fun.

I just find that not working with Adobe photoshop program on a regular basis, each time I do I have to learn all over again. Fortunately my new daughter in law is a graphic designer and I call on her for help when stuck, if she is not available someone in TT is always around to help.

Lynette

Daphne I have been in a hot air balloon, try it, its great just drifting along you only realize you high up if poke your head over the side.

KatieBears Posts: 4

I am brand new to Teddy Talk,  what is an avatar? and do I need one to be on here?

Board footer