Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

hmduffy Posts: 27

The pattern I'm working on (/wrestling with) involves connecting drastically different colors (pink and white, white & black, etc.)

If I owned a sewing machine, I'd use a different color bobbin thread. But I don't.

I was wondering if there was a consensus for what thread to use when joining different colors by hand.

A color in between the two? Clear thread?

Just curious.

Thanks ladies & gents. bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I use beige for most of my sewing. Though I do use white with white. A soft beige beading thread works with all colours.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

In quilting the rule is to use gray.... what ever shade of gray blends best with that you are doing. I keep three shades on hand... light, medium and dark.

mumka Posts: 80
Website
matilda wrote:

I use beige for most of my sewing. Though I do use white with white. A soft beige beading thread works with all colours.

You do that too? I thought I'm the only person who goes the easiest way and use only one colour of thread! bear_tongue (beside very dark fabrics of course ;))

hmduffy Posts: 27

Thank you ladies. bear_laugh

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I keep a small supply of thread on hand to match the different colours that I use.
I use a dogwood coloured thread on most of my pieces.  There are some that I need to use a different colour.  I have yellow, blue, black, red, green, pink, several shades of brown to rust, and white.  That covers most of the mohair colours that I use.  But even at that I try to keep only 1 ~ 2 spools on hand of each colour.  Dogwood is the colour I use the most.  For hand sewning threads I keep dogwood, white, and black on hand that covers everything for me.  Just be sure that your stitches are tight and not loose.

Board footer