Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

BlueZettiBear.jpgThis is my most recent bear.  She's not for sale for now, but is being submitted -- actually physically sent in -- to Art Doll Quarterly, with fingers crossed hard in hopes they might pick her for publication at some point.  She's inspired by the amazing Zetti style, collaged, dunce-cap wearing art cards I've been admiring of late.

chainofdaisies Palmerston North, NZ

aww she's adorable bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You are so clever! What a cuitie!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

What a lovely face she has Shelli-so soft and lovable bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Laurie :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Have you seen Zettiology?  They sell really cool rubber stamps and things.

I love Zetti - she's gorgeous.  Fingers crossed she'll be published, but I am certain she will be.
Danni

sarahjane Brisbane

She is just gorgeous Shelli...I am sure she'll be published!!!

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Really well done Shelli, the colours are just perfect.  I'm sure she will be published - she just has to!  bear_original  bear_wub

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Extremely adorable Shelli - you should sell these as they are really, really appealing!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, it's SO GREAT to see a Potbelly Bear or doll . . . whatever . . . these days!!  I know you've been extra, extra busy of late, so this is a treat!  She's got tons of charisma and I'm sure the doll folks will adore her!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Adorable, Shel!!!   As always, simply sweet and adorable!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Delartful Bears wrote:

Have you seen Zettiology?

Yes, absolutely... that's what I'm talking about.  Artists Teesha Moore and her husband Tracy developed this style of drawing/journalling all their own.  Lots of color, scrolls, text, plenty of dunce caps, wings, and stripes -- often striped legs which, if you look closely, you'll see my Blue Zetti has.  I could have given her a more imaginative name but I wanted to pay homage to my inspiration for her.

Zettiology is the style that the Moores have developed and yes, you're right, they sell stamps, etc. at their site as well.  On my art card forum, this style of creating is simply called "zetti."  I'm not even sure who coined the phrase but it seems to be used to refer to this style all over the web.

For anyone curious...

Zettiology 
www.teeshamoore.com
Especially click on the JOURNAL link.  Teesha, whom I do not know at all, has some GREAT pages there

And of course, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kind words on this girl.  I have been so snowed under but the kids are off to dad for most of the summer, my first round of Boyds work is complete, and there are no contest looming which beckon, so I am finally free (I hope) to make some bears for public view/sale.  It feels like it's been forever!  Can't wait to get back to it.  You're all very appreciated.

bear_original

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

She's so adorable, Shelli.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub I've seen this style but never knew it was called Zettiology. So glad you'll have a bit of time to yourself to do what you want. I love your bears and miss seeing them here. Is this going to be a wonderful new series for you?

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!   bear_wub  Submissions are fun.....yet, nerve wracking at the same time!!  I think it's just great to have the opportunity to introduce yet another twist on bearsmithing.  Thinking outside the box is wonderful for the creative soul.  The collectors.....well, hopefully we're expanding their view of the Art of the Bear.  I, personally, love this kind of art.  It speaks to me!!  Talk about your "one-of-a-kind" bear!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Lovely bear, shelli. i am sure she will be successful.

What material did you use combined with mohair? Cotton fabric???

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

She is quite beautiful and I love the combination of styles.  I hope she is selected for publication - she is too gorgeous not to be.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Shelli wrote:

Yes, absolutely... that's what I'm talking about.  Artists Teesha Moore and her husband Tracy developed this style of drawing/journalling all their own.  Lots of color, scrolls, text, plenty of dunce caps, wings, and stripes -- often striped legs which, if you look closely, you'll see my Blue Zetti has.  I could have given her a more imaginative name but I wanted to pay homage to my inspiration for her.

Zettiology 
www.teeshamoore.com
Especially click on the JOURNAL link.  Teesha, whom I do not know at all, has some GREAT pages there
:)

I just took a look at the journal.  Great stuff!  It reminds me of the journal Elinor Peace Bailey has been keeping.  She showed us the one that she's been working in since November.  Very similar, scrolly doodles, clippings incorporated from here and there intermixed with her original drawings, really cool. 

It would be neat if instead of art cards we could start a journaling project as a group.  I really think taking bits and pieces from here and there and incorporating it with your own art work as these two ladies have done really opens up a whole can of creativity giving you more ideas for bears, dolls or whatever your art may be.

I think I'll start one myself and see where it leads!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Super imaginative piece and very individual ... great work lady!

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

beautiful little bear Shelli
Louise x

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

lapousmor wrote:

What material did you use combined with mohair? Cotton fabric???

Sophie... You know, I'm such a total doofus I'm not even sure of the fiber content on the blue fabric.  Details like that escape me constantly.  The head and arms are dense, short alpaca, which I adore working with, and the ears, body, and legs are a nubby, incredibly soft, blue chenille-like fabric, kinda like polarfleece but not really.  The kind of thing you'd make something for a baby with.  It was NOT FUN to work with, but not too bad either.  Nothing beats mohair, or a fabric with a woven backing.  This nubby blue one was knit and I was lucky in that I didn't have to stuff too firmly for this particular pattern design.  If I had needed to do that I might have needed to line it.  Which always presents its own problems. 

To everyone else... thanks for your nice comments on ZETTI.  We'll see how she goes!  She's the first thing I've submitted to any magazine, anywhere, for like a year -- I'm the WORST at that -- so it would be nice if she saw publication.  I saw Aleta's piece for ADQ -- check out her blog to view it for yourself, at http://www.thesillybear.com/BlogFrame.asp -- and that's what I mean by, there will be some stiff competition.  It was a fun process and I got to try something new, so it's all good!

Board footer