Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Deb Upstate New York

Let's have your philosophy on where to start bidding on Ebay.

I feel so new, so virtually unknown, that I feel like if I'm getting my materials back, it's all good.  Know what I mean?  It's not like I can start an auction at $3 bucks and have full confidence that I'll get my $50 bucks back (thank you Intercal for those end pieces).  I don't want to scare off potential buyers ... but don't want to sell myself short either.

All thoughts and theories, proved and disproved alike welcome!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Great question...

I've sold both bears that I've listed...I started them at a price that covered my cost of materials and my cost of listing.  I think you have to earn a reputation before you can expect to get higher prices for your work and that just takes time.  I also received a couple emails after the auctions asking me if I would be making more of the same.  Which was a nice surprise.

I don't and never plan on this being anything more than a hobby and if I can make a few extra dollars to cover my expenses great...the rest will follow in time.  If I put too much pressure on myself to make money at it then it no longer is fun for me and just sets myself up for disappointment.  Yes, it would be great to make them and sell them for $100's but for me that's just not realistic at this point.  I think it was Judi who said that she liked Ebay because then the buyer sets the price and she doesn't have to...that's how I feel about it.

Good Luck...

Shantell

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Oh, Deb I would love to here all about ebay myself too! I have no clue at all how to and where to...d020.gif 

Shantell, I agree if you start making bears just for money it's not good. I really love my teddies. I enjoy every arm, ear, head and eyelids. s070.gif 

Gina, you're absolutely right. If you do not get the price don't sell it. Just like better be alone then live with jerk and better be hungry then eat ...(something not good at allb045.gif 

Julia

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Julia, you crack me up!

On listing.... you can start with a low starting bid but put a reserve on the bear that is equal to the minimum you will sell the bear at. So, if you won't take less than $50 set that as your reserve but your starting bid can be as low as you want to go. There is, of course, a fee for setting a reserve. But the item WON'T SELL until that RESERVE IS MET.

All the stuff Gina said has been my experience too. Good or bad it's the way it is. bear_rolleyes

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I start my bidding price at the price I want to get.  That way if I only get one bid, I'm happy.  I think this is cheaper than setting a reserve etc...
To get a reasonable price I think you have to work out your materials etc...and then work out how much you want to get for your hours of work, within reason both ways...Thats what I do and I'm happy with the prices I come up with..More work, I want more profit...Thats the way I work anyway :P
hugs sarah

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

oOoh this is a tough one, and there's been some fantastic comments made!

It's hard to know what to do and what to expect.  On eBay Australia, they have taken away the option to have a reserve on an item... Which is a shame.

I sometimes think perhaps this way is a better way of going.  IF you set your reserve at the lowest price you would take for that bear, why not start the bidding at that price? That way, potential buyers can see if they are willing to spend that amount of money on the bear?  I mean, I would imagine some bidders being put off because they are not sure how high the reserve is set ... Just a thought.

With my auctions, the start price is the minimum $$ that I would take for that bear... It's still lower than my webpage price - but I'm happy, if I sell the occassional bear from my webpage and a bear nearly every week on eBay - keeps my busy!  Also gets my name up - and my prices on eBay are rising... (Plus I get the odd order from people who see my auctions, or purchase bears from eBay or my webpage)
I have to spend my time somehow! :lol:

Good luck!  Let us know how you get along!
Danni

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I agree with Sarah, about listing for what you would be happy to sell it for. Ebay is just isn't dependable enough to hope for a bidding war, unless you have a following.
I also HATE to see these beautiful, large bears made of shultz mohair, sell for $10. It's just not fair, and I picture that it was bought by someone with a retail store, will will turn around and sell that same bear for much more.
You may have to relist a couple of times, to get the money you want. I think it's okay that if the 1st week it doesn't sell, try again. Not everything can be sold in a week. Things sure don't in retail.
And, if all you're doing is recovering your materials at the start, don't feel bad. I like to think of ebay as a place to advertise. ANd if you think of it that way, it sure is cheap advertising.
I can't count how many sales I've made on my creations, after my auctions have ended. Either for a special order, or for something that didn't get any bids etc. I have't sold any poly clay stuff on ebay for a long time, but I'm still getting emails from people for more. And now with xmas on the way, the emails are really coming in and honestly, I haven't listed anything on ebay for at least 7months. And the listing fee's I've paid on ebay I'm sure are much cheaper than any magazine add.
There I go again, rambling away!!! It's this head cold..............honestly! :P
Heather

Board footer