Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hiya one and all! Finally I'm back to talk with all my friends once again. I have had such a rough time of it lately. bear_sad I went into hospital (as most of you already know) on September thirteenth for my operation to remove my gallbladder. The operation itself went well but I took a long time in recovery and I was in one heck of a lot of pain. I spent only three days in the hospital before going home but I was, as they said, having problems controlling my Asthma. I was home for a couple of days and on Sunday last week I started getting a very nasty pain down my left arm with tingling in my fingers and tightness in my chest and I couldn't breath very well. I phoned NHS direct, which is a health help line where you get all kinds of information from qualified medical people. Within five minutes there was an ambulance at my door and the paramedics had me hooked up to machines and I was whipped of to the crash department in my local hospital. The doctors though that I was having a heart attack and treated me as so. My heart was ok but they found out that I have Pulmonary embolisms in my left lung. (blood clots) Pulmonary embolism is a condition that occurs when an artery in your lung becomes blocked. In most cases, the blockage is caused by one or more blood clots that travel to your lungs from another part of your body, in my case from the operation site. The doctor told me and my family that this is a serious and life threatening condition but as it is now diagnosed I should be OK. I had so many blood tests, heart traces etc done in the last few days to last me a lifetime but unfortunately for me the needles will still be coming my way as I have to have blood tests and two injections in my poor old tummy each day. I now have to take Warfarin tablets  every day for at least six months and up to two years. Warfarin is an anticoagulant drug to stop the clots getting any bigger and to stop any more forming. I have to go back to hospital each day for a while but it is great to finally be home even with the wretched clots. I'm black and blue with bruises plus I bleed so very quickly now that I have to be so very careful. I plucked my eyebrows yesterday and bled for five minutes after pulling one hair out. I dread to think what will happen when I start sewing my bears again. maybe I should make a range of Horror bears covered in blood...what do you think...would they sell....ummmmm!
Nice to be back, although it's going to take me forever to read all the posts that I've missed.

Jane.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome back Jane !!!!!  I am so glad to hear from you and we miss you allot !!
I am sorry that you still dealing with heavy pain and still need to go to hospital.......
Please hung in there and my prayers and thoughts are with you !!

I think horror bear is too scary but I love your humor. :)
Nice to have you back♪
Live/ Marie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh huge HUGS!  We missed oyu so  much, hope you pick up soon!

Danni

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Jane,I'm so happy to hear from you. bear_laugh I missed you !! I'm sorry to hear that you have been having such a hard time but I hope all will be well from here on.Big hugs!!I just saw a post from you on another topic and was about to post "yeah,Jane's back " when I saw this topic.Any way it bears repeating Yeah,Jane's back!!

Blessings and remeber to rest and not over do!Shari.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Welcome back Jane.  I will still keep you in my prayers.  Remember that God has it all under control, and with Him all things are possible.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I hope you are feeling better. I had a DVT in my leg when I was pregnant. I was lucky in that when it dislodged it got as far as my groin before I got treatment. I was on heparin (because of pregnancy). It was very painful because I had no painkillers.
I used to have to inject myself twice a day for a few months until Amy was born. I hope they kept an eye on you after the op as thats when anyone can get them.
One of the reasons I got it was because of pregnancy and I was about 17stone, so that didn't help. I now have an aspirin if I go on a long journey and make sure I move around.
So look after yourself and make sure you get plenty of rest.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Yikes, Jane!

What an ordeal! I'm glad you're back, but take it easy, girl.

Eileen

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hello Jane, it's lovely to hear from you, we've all been thinking about you!!:)

So sorry you went through all that though:(   Hope you're feeling much better soon;)

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Jane,
                  My goodness you have had a rough ride. You don't do things by halves do you.  Anyway, you take care of yourself and we will look forward to your posting when you feel better. Hugs Rita xxx

piegabaer Speyer/Germany

Hi Jane, I´m so glad that your are back!
I wish you that you´ll come in a better condition soon and that you can stop taking Warfarin after six month!

Hugs

Deb Upstate New York

Yay!  Jane's back!  You do what the doctors tell you now, and take good care of yourself!  I have asthma too, and nasty allergies.  The goldenrod is killing me this year.

Glad your back. s070.gif

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Gosh Jane, you haven't had it easy have you? I hope your health picks up from here on....thank goodness you got the ambulance quickly and they looked after you so well. I know how scary an embolism is - my mum had a serious one about a week after an operation (sounds similar to yours) but she did recover well from it, and was back to normal once it was under control. I wish you all the best, and hope you can soon start bear-making again (it's good for stress! But maybe you should wear a thimble on every finger?!).

Take care bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jane, so sorry to hear things went LESS than smoothly.  Although the fact that you're home, minus irritating gallbladder, and back to posting on a teddy bear forum, does suggest SOME success in your outcome... laughing here... ;)

My dad took Warfarin, or something related to it, after his bypass/endarterectomy about a decade ago.  We discovered an interesting fact, which disturbed him to no end, at that time:  Warfarin -- as you said, an anticoagulant -- basically contains the same ingredients as rat poison.  Apparently, the mode of death for these poor little rodents that live in your attic is the bleed-out, via chemical means.  I mention this because it's interesting... and also to suggest the importance, if your doctors haven't already done so (and I hope they have), of going in for regular blood tests to make sure you're not TOO un-coagulated. 

In the meantime, I suggest lots of chocolate, even fresh-from-the-oven cookies, and the complete avoidance of needle felting!!!

I think that so long as they don't travel, clots resolve/dissolve over time; can anyone verify this (nurses Dilu or Judi?)  In the meantime, it sounds like you're being well-managed.

You've got my strong hopes for the speediest of full and complete recoveries; hopefully, all the scary, painful stuff is over now, and it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh..I missed you too.... GLad that operation  part is over!

I  too had a gall bladder operating some years ago... and it is very painful for several days after...I do remember one funny thing that happened after getting home. Dr. had said ;
" don't leave her alone and she will need help , assistance to the bathroom for several days"

So..my hubby went to the store,just to grab something. I had to go potty really bad and could not wait.. ...We had a water bed and I could not for the life of me get off that bed even if I tried to hang onto the padded side rails and try rolling myself off of it..I would  just bounced right back onto the bed..slosh, slosh ...then I would get to laughing so hard it felt like my stitches would break.
The waterbed was soft but not a good idea for me..so I took over my young sons bed which was nearly on the floor...so I would crawl to the bath room, its the only way I could get there if everyone was out side...LOL...
It good to have you back...huggies (((((( U ))))))) ...Winney

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Oh Winney, what have you done to me! I laughed so much at the picture you painted in you post that I had to go away from the computer and have a sit down whilst holding my tummy and trying to breath properly. I just imagined your arms and legs flailing around whilst you tried to get off of the water bed. Poor you but thanks so much for the laugh. bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin:lol: Winney, what a picture!

I've been there . . . back problems in my 40's, crawling on my belly like a reptile!

Eileen

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Hello Jane bear_original I send you much sun from france bear_original

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Jane, it really is nice to have you back.  You are such a ray of sunshine !  Sounds like you've had a really rough time, but hopefully you are on the mend.  Take care !

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh gosh, Jane . . . what a very scary episode!!  SO glad the clot was found and treated in time!  From now on, I surely hope that your health problems are a thing of the past and that you will enjoy feeling good in due time.  You are a real trooper and we welcome you back with open arms and big hugs!  Hope you can visit us often, but please take good care of yourself!!  Winney - you're a hoot!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww Jane,

I am so glad and grateful that you are doing better.  Don't shave your legs....How wonderful that NHS took you seriously, and yes, Pulmonary embolism is very serious.  More people die than not, because they don't take it seriously. 

Take it easy, dear Jane, and the prayers are continuing. 

Thank goodness everything worked out well in your favor.  Thank God.

We all missed you so much,cyou wouldn't believe it.  So glad you are back.

Dilu

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Jane,

We have missed you and I have been wondering how you were getting on.
Sorry to hear about all that you have been going through and glad that they were
able to get you back to hospital when you had the pulmonary embolism  - how scary.
A friend of ours -  Mother had flown out from the UK to attend their wedding and
had the same thing happen to her a week after getting back home.

All the best Jane and hope that you take good care of yourself and we look forward to
hearing from you again when you feel up to it.

Hugs
Carolyn

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Jane, so glad you back to us so soon! n120.gif 

You sounds very strong women (joking about all this stuff) so I'm sure in a coulple weeks all operation pain wiil fade away.

Be careful and don't punch your fingers while sewing bears. Or if you do, probably it will be some Halloween bear. g070.gif

Jane, keeping you in prayers,
Julia.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Oh you girls are so kind. Thank you all so much for your lovely messages. I am still quite breathless and puff a lot even to walk to the Loo (toilet) which is about ten steps from the settee where I seem to be living most of the time.

Di I have not thought about leg shaving, it looks as if I will be looking rather Yeti like quite soon ...no leg shaving and no eyebrow plucking Boy will I look hideous!

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

hi Jane,
i am glad you are home and feeling better,
my dad is on warfarin it thins his blood so he is very careful not to cut himself shaving. hugs Kerren

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh boy Jane!

Yes, what a time you've had bear_sad  I'm so glad you are getting better!!

Board footer