Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Deb Upstate New York

Ugh!  Now I know this never happened to any of you .... but what would you do if you took just one or two too many snips when trimming a bears face and left a ... a ... a ... BALD spot.
e136.gif
I'm sick.  This is the bear I've been working on while dealing with my Mom's illness (she's getting better) ... so have maybe been a little ... preoccupied.  All of a sudden I looked and said ... well nevermind what I said, but you get the idea. 

There are a couple of ways I can arrange the fur ... not to hide my boo boo ... but to minimize it.  I think I'm going to finish her, put on Ebay anyway with a good close up and see what happens.  She is otherwise, really a very nice bear. :(

Just spouting here.  (Unreal how it helps to type out a frustration!)  Thanks guys!   f050.gif

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Can you use some shading to 'disguise' it? Or go for the bald look, and pluck all the fur out (on the muzzle)?

Things like this are really frustrating....

Deb Upstate New York

Helena ~ Not really.  It's more up on her forehead, to one side.  Wish it were the muzzle, lol.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Oh that is too bad, Deb! and very frustrating! If if is close to the nose or eyes maybe a little extra shading will help. But , yes, him anyway, he still needs a good home and lots of hugs.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Ohhhh....that's a shame....but as Terrie says, he needs a home and a cuddle :). And it'll just add to the character of your bear, I'm sure! (Sometimes these things are not as bad as we imagine!).

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I made an 'unfortunate' bear not too long ago.  Blessed thing would not sit up properly - my own fault as I hadn't designed the new legs well.  I ummed and ahhed about what to do as I couldn't get any more fabric for new legs.  In the end I listed the bear on Ebay with a very honest description and couldn't believe my luck when the bear sold for more than the usual retail of one with a well behaved bottom.  The buyer was delighted with her purchase and left me positive feedback, so it just goes to show, honesty can be the best policy!! :D;)

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Poor thing maybe needs a plaster on. Or maybe go for a bandage. My dog once chewed one of my bears arms ( my 'bad' husband had been making the dog jealous by coo ccoing the bear and cuddling it). Ben then got his own back!
Anyway I bandaged the arm then plastered it and the bear sold really well!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i say make it look like it's supposed to be there. Put a bandage over it, or some stitches as if the bear had to be repaired at some point. Maybe a patch with a differnt fabric??? A bow?
That's what I would do anyway. Don't hide it, Flaunt it!!! No-one but us will ever know the difference
Heather

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I say you give him a mohawk...name him Mr. T (for Teddy Bear) and in your ad say "I pity the fool who doesn't take me home"...or something equally as corny.

bear_grin

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Aargh, Deb!

Would it be possible to ladder-stitch a patch into the bad spot?If the fur (mohair?) is long enough, I can't see why not.

You could either trim the spot to the backing or--maybe better--cut it out entirely, leaving a bit of seam allowance around the hole, then ladder-stitch the patch into place, tucking the seam allowance under the main piece.

I just had a head fall off. Seems I clipped the wrong thread at some point! :mad:

Eileen

Deb Upstate New York

Hehehe ... you guys!

Unfortunately, SHE already has an identity.  Her name is ... shhh ... Eileen.  Hope she's not on the board today.  Julia, I'm definitely going to think about adding a disclaimer to auction.

ALL other ideas welcome!  Will post pic of the spot I'm talking about soon as I hear back from Quy on my technical difficulties.  Probably user interface error!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

My biggest fear is doing what you just did...

Can you put some kind of embellishment there?  Like a bow, or a barrette or something?  Make it look like you did it on purpose?

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

Deb,

Just a thought.  What about a cute hat (maybe with some netting draped down over her forehead), or a big bow around her head?  Sometimes when things go wrong -- that's the time to get really creative.  I once had a quilting instructor say she looked forward to things going wrong, as that's when her creative juices get flowing -- trying to solve the "problem".  (They're not mistakes, they're opportunities).

Hugs,   Donna

Deb Upstate New York

Donna ~

You'll never believe this ... I was just thinking to myself ... bearmakers don't make mistakes ... just opportunities to be more creative!  Thanks.  I'm working on it!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Without seeing it, it's hard to say what you could do....but my advice is, in the future, get one of those really thin bendy barbers combs...they are easily available and you can  use it as a barrier between the scissors and your bear...that way...you don't get bald spots...and you get an even length cut!!!! I use a little eyelash comb for really tiny bears...the type you get at beauty counters...

Jenny

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Use a wide ribbon to tie a big bow around her head and then tack it down at or near the bald spot, with the knot of the bow as close to that spot as possible, saying in your auction that the big bow is "non-removable."  That's not dishonest, and it covers up the bitty flub.

???

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin:lol: I'd be honored to have a bald bear named after me! bear_grin:lol:

Eileen

p.s. I still think the patch is a good idea!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

My two cents.... if you have a scrap of mohair left over and it's long enough to do this with trim the fur off close to the backing so you have loose fibers. Then needle felt them into the bald spot. It works!! Really! I've done it. I also do it when I want a spot of a different color mohair some where like eye lashes... just needle felt the ends of the mohair right into the head.

All other suggestions sound good too!

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

In this case, I would make a well loved new "old bear".  I do intentionally make bald spots on some of my bears and then use a tiny bit of shoe polish to make it look a bit smudged.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Daphne...you beat me to it ..LOL.. I was thinking the same thing.

Another way would be to  needle felt  eyebrows  on..now its  a" him "bear named Ellwood.
Give him a funky looking vest for the ole sport.

Or  give him a white  wig and eyebrows...turn him into a english judge with black long coat and ruffled jabot ( that thing in front on his neck )..oh and give him some spectacles so he can look over the top of them at you while he pronounces how many years you get in the dungeon..LOL...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Someone suggested a patched bear.  Go to the GALLERY here at Intercal and check out Jane Perala's gorgeous patched bear.  That's a great idea!  Maybe I'll go try to find you a link...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Aww Deb, sounds like you need a hug and a cuddle too.....sorry Sweetheart.....you'll come up with something

:P

I always answer before reading what everyone else says....Hey Daphne, while everyone had good ideas, yours was super....or am I just too into needle felting hmmmmm

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh gorgeous bear - thank for the link Shelli.

What amazing creative people we have here! I can't wait to see the outcome of your bear Deb, make sure you post a photo (or two!)

Danni

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Deb, if you have'nt already attached the head to the body, un-stuff it, take the eyes out etc. and remake a new head - bald is not good.

If you don't have more of the same mohair for a second head use another type!

If you have already attached the head, cut the joint off and as above start again!! bear_ermm

What a pain in the arse!!!!

Good luck Deb

Penny bear_tongue

Board footer