Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I am still not quite sure where my head was......

We have a wonderful glass top stove-the kind that are so easy to clean.  But because it is glass top I have made some quilts for it so that I can use it as counter space, and a place to put the groceries, etc.

Today, while making soup I folded back the quilt, like always, and started the burner....

ooops

wrong burner, I turned from the sink, because something was smelling scorched, and, you got it.....my quilt was on fire.  I liked that one particulary.  So I will have to make another come spring.  It was time to skip fall and go straight to winter anyway....

Oh, I grabbed the quilt- scorched clear through and dumped in the sink.

Boy did it smell bad.....

and the smoke alarms did not go off.   hmmmmm  nice to know you can really count on those! :lol::lol::lol:

No real harm, no foul.....and I finished my soup and the tortillas I wanted to get into the freezer...(I like to make stuff up ahead of time for when I have those headaches....that way there is something easy for the hubster, who would eat beans and rice everyday if  I would let him, so the tortillas are doctored up beans and rice. :lol:

Now the question is where was my head?

It was on Teddybears.....yep.  Teddies, not gollies, teddies.Go figure.  I made one that was about 2" but I wasn't happy with the head- too skinny looked like a mouse...and I was trying to figure out how to fatten the little head a bit.....

The moral?

Don't get lost in the creative process while playing with life threatening dangerous equipment.....I guess......:/

To his credit, my darling husband never gets upset or yells about the serious stuff. 

My dad always told me my mouth would get me in trouble and that when doing a task I need to focus.  Sounds like I have always been like this.  Which is scarry.  How did I live so long? :lol::lol::lol:

So as the guy in Hill Street Blues used to say, "let's be careful out there."

bear_tongue

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh Dilu!!!! Well, at least nothing but the quilt was damaged beyond repair!  We have one of those ranges too... with the glass top.  You have to be careful with 'em, huh?  I melted a plastic spatula on our not too long ago.....

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild thyme Originals

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh,Dilu,I'm sorry about your beautiful quilt,what a shame.I'm glad there was no other damage or injury.I'm afraid I could never put anything flammable near my stove as I'm "burner dysletic and must stand there and figure out my burners each time and often still don't get them right. :lol:

Yes,you all be careful out there,hugs,Shari.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:(:lol: Dilu,

I don't know whether to laugh over your story or weep over your quilt or break out in chills  about your smoke alarms!! :/

I've melted so many plastic utensils and fried so many pots (usually making marmalade or cranberry sauce) that the family regards me as an accident waiting to happen. They surround me with fire alarms.

Though when I was preggers all three times, I gave up fire and started letting sinks run over. We had really, really clean floors for 9 mos before each baby was born.

Kindred spirit,
Eileen

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Dilulubelle...You can't follow directions can you?  I'm pretty confident the instructions say not the lay things on the burners bear_grin:lol:

I have one of those stoves too...LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT...so easy to keep clean...that is unless you lay stuff on the burners you're not suppose to.

bear_grin

Deb Upstate New York

Oh my gosh Dilu ~ thankfully it wasn't serious.

I must say though, you should consider the possibility that the Gollies are being an influence on your bears?  Not of course that your bears were responsible for this unfortunate incident ~ the thought just crossed my mind.  You should watch out!

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Oh, Dilu you have to be more careful!! Why didn't alarm work? Maybe not enough fire for it???? Thank goodness....

Not long ago, I was going to make some pancakes for my daughter. I made dough, put pan and turn on the fire. I put also a plate on the near burner to put ready pancakes there. While waiting the burner heating, I washed some dishes and heard loud BOOM! I looked at the stove and saw my plate all over the kitchen in smallest pieces.

....I turned on the WRONG burner... Thank God my daughter wasn't in the kitchen and I wasn't near the stove. And, Dilu, I wasn't even thinking about my bears or bears at all...What I was thinking???? p020.gif 

So, be all of us carefull!!

Hugs, Julia

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ahhhh Dilu, I am with Deb.  I think there is golly influence there...or perhaps they pulled a fast one on you!  I have two of your little "darlings" and they can get into trouble...but they are so lovely I can't  help but love them to bits.

I suppose things could be worse...like a flood.  Very glad to hear your house is still standing.  Sorry about your quilt. bear_sad:(:(:( Were you able to salvage most of it? bear_sad

What I really admire about you, Dilly Girlie , is that you keep things in perspective and have a sense of humor.:D:D:D:D You always make me laugh!:lol::lol:  I am laughing at the way you words thing...NOT at the fact your flambaed (sp?) your quilt!

Better check those fire alarms!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Dilu, Have you ever burnt a box of mac and cheese?  I have! Don't feel bad.:D Jenn

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Ohhhh Dilu    bear_sad

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Dilu . . . so sorry about your quilt, but ever so glad it wasn't worse!  I do the same crazy thing every year at Christmas.  I make a sweet potato dish (it's been a tradition in the family forever) for Christmas dinner that I'm sure a lot of you people are familiar with.  The one that you put those tiny marshmallows on top and brown them under the broiler in the oven.  I ALWAYS let them stay too long and the marshmallows catch on fire.  Can't tell you how many times I've done that.  It's become a real seasonal joke as to how many times I have to scrape the burned ones off and put fresh ones on.  Hope something can be salvaged from your quilt!  Hugs,

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Mm I just saw that exact thing on the TV Sue  Ann - with using the marshmallows ontop of dishes, I thought it was very strange !!!  bear_grin   Not to mention using Coke to cover ham in!

Sorry to hear about your quilt Dilu - glad to hear nothing too serious happened.   When I was younger, I would always set teatowels on fire LOL
Danni

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin Sue Ann,

I'm willing to bet that your family would miss the flaming sweet potato dish if you didn't set it afire!  It just wouldn't taste the same!

Strange what becomes family tradition, isn't it?

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh my dear Dilly-dally what a catastrophe that could have been. sorry to hear that your quilt was spoiled but thank goodness you are ok. I also have a glass topped cooker but I never put anything on top  of it. Do check out the smoke alarms and put fresh batteries in them. It is so important that we keep safe. An old Aunt of mine disarmed her alarm and used the batteries for her TV control. There was a fire and she spent a while in hospital because of smoke inhalation.

Jane

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

a week or so ago my oven started filling with smoke, we were choking it was a frightening experience! i will be gad when my new kitchen is done. bear_angry

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

One of my sisters has a smooth top stove. I was visiting last year and she was saying how much she loved the stove and ran her hand over the top of it. Unfortunately, one of the burners was still hot from use and her hand was burned, h/e not too badly. Got a good snicker out of that one; in fact we still laugh about it!

Marion

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Hey guys,
I have one of those glass top stoves too! I really do love it but I do the same thing all the time. I turn on one burner and stand there thinking why isn't this getting hot:mad:then I realize that I have turned on the wrong burner.
The problem is you have to use a picture diagram  to figure out which burner your turning on!:|If it would just say front and back I would get it:P
I better pay closer attention to those road signs too!!HA HA!

Kathy

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sorry to hear about your quilt Dilu!! Scary that your alarms didn't go off though.

So... you guys like the glass top stove?? I know my grandpa used to have one. Old though, and it was very hard to clean. You guys say these new ones are easy?? I've been looking into getting a new stove, and I'm famous for boiling over my pot, and I always make a HUGE mess. So a easy to clean stove would be great!

Shari, "burner dysletic", soo funny. You're just like my mom. She does the same thing!

Heather

Northern Nevada, USA

I love mine because of the same reason, not a very clean cook. I was always boiling over my pots. This stove is a piece of cake ( HA) to clean. My other stove, I was always having to take apart and clean. This one I just have to wipe up when I am done. It is easy to clean too not like the old glass tops, It just comes right off.
I use a little baking soda and damp cloth if anything sticks and it comes right off.
kathy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I hear you all saying you love the glass top stoves for ease of cleaning, but almost all of you have mentioned personal or near experience with burning yourselves (or your quilts!) so they sound like a major hazard!  I think I'll stick to my old-fashioned, gas-emitting, carbon-monoxide spewing, gas stove.  Hard to clean, and a potentially fatal source of lethal chemical, but at least I'm not gonna set my shirt on fire by leaning over it and forgetting which burner is hot!  Laughing here...

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ooooh Dilu, you be careful sweetie!!:)   Those Gollies huh!?!:rolleyes:

Call me thick though, I can't get my head round a quilt on the stove??:/   What do you mean, you sleep there???:lol:

Someone take pity on me and explain, or haven't I read the posts properly??:P

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Clare, I think she meant that she has a quilt on top of it, so she can use it as part of the counter. That way she can put stuff on her stove, without worrying about the glass.
At least that's how I understood it.
Heather

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Dilu - sellotape that head of yours firmly in place! Don't lose it again!

I MELTED my new cooker by putting toast under the grill and then wandering off to watch TV - my smoke alarm did'nt go off either - by the time i smelt something burning all the plastic fittings (knobs etc) had melted onto the floor!

Terry was not happy with me as the kitchen had just been completely refurbished and had to be totally repaired & cleaned of smoke damage etc.
The melted plastic never has come off of the new wood floor and Terry made ME buy a new cooker - i must have felt quite weak at the time because in retrospect i should of told him to shove it where the sun don't shine and just claim it off of the insurance!!!!
I coughed up the cash for a new cooker but intend to get my own back on him in the near future as he broke one of my Grandma's candlesticks - did'nt tell me and just balanced the bits back on top of each other so that when i dusted i thought i had broken it!!!
He owes me big time and i'm gonna milk this for every penny i can get out of him bear_laugh

That'll learn him,

Penny bear_tongue

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh Dilu...sorry your nice quilt was burned up...at least it warned you instead of the lazy smoke alarms...LOL..
Really, it is scary to have fire , especially in a small mobile home. Last summer using my electric stovetop  I was heating oil in a fry pan to make my taquitos in...I peaked around the devider to see what was going on as my  grand baby was having  the screaming fits in his swing. ( mommie had stepped out side for a sec).

When I turned around...YIKES! instant combustion....2 and half foot huge  flames shot up into the fan and screen  above... I yelled " Larry" ! and "Mary, get the baby out of the house " !!
I grabbed a large lid in the stove drawer below while I yelled and pointed  to him... " Grab the fire extinquisher "!...in just a FEW SECONDS  that fire was already scorching the cabinets above. I plopped the large lid onto the the pan  fire to suffocate it  then the extinguisher put out the fan and screen fire...... It took instant team work ..adn we got the fire out in about a min. or less.

Within just  in a few seconds that fire had traveled a lot more then a person would imagine.....inside the cabinets were scorched and the cieling  was black .....amazing .
What I realized is...it was sheer luck that we slipped past what the worse could have been.
I had heard that most mobile fires only take about 3 min. to completely engulf the place.
I called the fire dept to check out the walls, etc. to make sure it was not smoldering.

How many variables and risks to disaster can you find below ?

1....   We just happen to have a fire extinquisher.
2....   I have never used one so I did not know how to use one.
3....   I had no idea if the thing was full or would even work.
4...    I did keep it near the stove and was able to communicate that to Larry." Just pull the
         pin, press down on the lever and aim  ". Where did I learn that...T V, no doubt.

5... We have an electric stove.. you never can tell how hot the burner is because you cannot visually judge that as well like you can with a gas  stove...so you need to STAND there very near to guard over the stove to see what it is doing with your food.
If you have a gas stove ...when you turn the heat up or down , it acts instantly...electric does not..so burns  and  boil overs are common.messy and dangerous...esp. oil.

6) The fire alarm did not work...batteries dead or smoke was going UP the stove hood so the smoke did not reach the alarm in the hall just above the  bedroom door. Besides, that...would not have saved us anyway...we only had less then a min.to take action.
I also heard that many fire detecters only detect smoke and not fire....smoke has to reach it first.

7) What would have happened if Larry was hanging over the back fence visiting with the neighbor...or he was not even at home ? Could I have had time to get the lid AND work the extinquisher ?

8) Would if Mary was in the bathroom on the pot and could not hear me and I had taken just a tad bit more time with the baby ?

Egads !...see what I mean ? So...you all check out your fire alarms, and make sure you have several and that you check the batteries ..mark it ahead in RED on your calender.
Fire extinguishers ? ...you can take them down to your local fire dept. and have them checked out .

Always ,always especially with grease...stand near your electric stove to keep an eye on what is  happening.............Winney

Northern Nevada, USA
Shelli wrote:

I hear you all saying you love the glass top stoves for ease of cleaning, but almost all of you have mentioned personal or near experience with burning yourselves (or your quilts!) so they sound like a major hazard!  ..

I think the whole point is the operator.spealing for myself here, just not that bright I guess. bear_grin:lol:

Board footer