Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I went to a well established fair yesterday...and I while I don't want to drone on interminably about why the industry is going down the pan...I just wanted to say that the show I went to was busy with customers...(I went to buy bits and pieces)...but yet there were only a handful of artists there.

I have shown at this fair in the past and done very well....but decided not to do it again because artists were dropping out year on year ...being replaced by more and more vintage bears and dolls.  I think when customers have lots of bears to choose from they spend longer at the fair and feel that they have more choice and they are then more likely to buy as a result.

I don't know if anyone on this list was at the National Motorcycle Museum yesterday and thinks the same.....but I was sadly disappointed that there were so few artists there. The folks I talked to had noticed it too...( a couple were collectors)....

It's sad when shows end up like this. When I first started bear making I used to go to this fair to buy fabric and it was magical....but the supplier I normally buy from wasn't even there yesterday....so it's a 'knock-on' effect...

I know that this venue has had problems and the fair spent a couple of years in temporary accomodation...but what used to be one of the most vibrant, bustling shows...is still bustling with collectors....but very few teddy bears for them to buy.

What a sad state of affairs...

Jenny

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Many years ago, about 11? I did my first Kensington fair and managed to take just over £1000. I was rather pleased as you can imagine. A year later I covered my table fee, petrol down there and had enough left over for a takeaway that night. So I did'nt do it again. It has a knock on effect like you say.
I also think the computer has changed things. Ebay and websites are like fairs every day. The collectors just go to artist bears and there we are. Not quite the same but there you go. It is a shame but I just can't afford to show at them if I have little return.
I hope you do well at Pudsey and at least you can fly the flag so to speak.

warwickshire uk
Website

Oh Amanda..I know exactly what you mean...I was just quite aware that people were there...including me... and could not spend money if they'd wanted to..... It was almost all dolls and the bears and allied things had dwindled drastically. Do they over price these things or what?..The door price was £4...and there was a good long queue to get in....the next thing that will happen is the punters won't attend either!!

Jenny

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

It's tough. I wish I had started bear making in the days where shows were the place to be. Even in Calgary where I live, there used to be one evey October. But not anymore. I guess the people that used to organize it, don't anymore, and no-one has stepped up to take their place. I guess it's just tough to make money doing this sort of thing. Plus, it's getting harder and harder to find any teddy magazines in my city now. I used to be able to go to chapters and find tonnes of teddy magazines. Even Austrailian bear creations. Now they only have two, and won't order anymore for me. It's sad.
Good think I can use a computer, because obviously, that's the way it has to be to sell your bears.
Heather

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I have to drive hours to go to a show, usually in another state, because there aren't any here where I live. Totally rural, I'm in cow country. I love it but there are no supplies here, no bear shows. They wouldn't know a bear magazine if you hit them with it.
I love to go to shows because I love to see the other artists and see their work. It is always so much better to feel and see a work of art!!!!!
I spend alot of money on shipping, because I have to order all my supplies....
Kathy

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Kathy,
Is it too far for you to go to Reno for a show?  Crossroads Doll and Teddy Bear shows is having one in Reno Oct. 29.  I had planned to do it this time but have a conflict that weekend. 
I am finding fewer bears at the shows on a regular basis.  Shows that had waiting lists of 50 bear artists to get into the show are now not able to fill the spaces.  I did a Doll and Bear show three weeks ago that only had two tables of bears.  It was so sad.
Donna

warwickshire uk
Website

The thing was that at this particular show I spotted loads of bear collectors milling about...the ones I often see when I am exhibiting at a fair....just very few  bears...

Jenny

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi ,
      Amanda, What are your  Bears called and do you have a web-site? I must have seen you at a fair before if you have been making bears for over 11 years.   Hugs Rita xx

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Hi, Donna

Reno is Five hours one way from my house that is no stops. I live closer to Salt Lake City Utah, I went to that Crossroads Show in April. It was not bad. I met some really great bear makers there. Very Generous, Sweet wonderful people.
I can't go to anyshows this month I have other commitments with family.:|
kathy

Board footer