Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
Dilu Posts: 8,574

When you consider that TeddyTalk is not even two yet, and you folks who have been here from the beginning will know this, we have made so many many changes to improve the TT board.

The help advisors, admin, and so many of you who participate, care a great deal about the success of TT and the main need we have is to support the board so that it WORKS for YOU Talkers.

hmm, all of us Talkers.....and boy can we talk!

Therefore, through the genius of Quy, our technical master of computers, we have begun a new forum here at TT.

It is called Bearhugs, and as the name implies, it is the place to go for support and comfort.
Prayer requests are welcome there, grousing, whining, stamping of feet all that sort of thing.

It seemed to all of us that this was a needed addition.  We would like to get the General board back to Birthdays, Cute Animal Pics of the day and most importantly:

Ta Da:

TEDDIES

and the sharing of all things teddy (GOLLY) and all things stuffed and made and created by US.

CREATING, COLLECTING, CONNECTING

of Teddy Bears and Other Friends is our watchword, creed, motto. 

We want everyone to be comfortable on the General board, and there have been indications that not all are comfortable with topics that are more religious or spiritually inclined.  So we now have a place where those topics are free to be expressed and the General board is free to be about Teddies, and the Light Hearted world of our make-believe
best friends

We have moved a couple of posts to Bearhugs, where they will be more appropriate.

If you forget and post prayer requests we will move your post to bearhugs and send you an e-mail reminding you why.  We are only doing this to keep the General board more focused on Creating, Collecting and Connecting.

We certainly hope that all the Talkers will be comfortable with this new arrangement. 

Feedback to the Help Advisors will get to the right ears and we will appreciate your feedback.

GreatBigGollyHugsandTeddyNoseRubs to all

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Super idea!!! Thank you, Teddy Talk advisors!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: What a brilliant idea!!!!  :clap:  :clap:

Quy and the rest of the lovely support team just keep making Teddy Talk that much better, and better and better!!!  bear_thumb 

Is it really only 2 years old??  Its such a huge part of my life, now it feels like I've been connected to the Teddy bear world for sooo much longer.  Thanks again to everyone who created and keeps Teddy Talk such a wonderful place  :hug:  bear_wub  bear_flower

K Pawz Guest

Awesome Idea!!! You guys rock!

hugs,
Krista

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm going to stir the pot....

I think it's kind of sad...we have so many sub-categories anymore that it's a bit overwhelming to get through TT anymore.  I'm not sure why people can't just pass by those topics that say "prayer request" or when they open a post which someone is in need of some kind of support the reader doesn't just move on if the topic isn't of their taste...I do...or if it isn't relavent to me.   

I opened TT this morning and thought something was wrong when I saw the General forum so far down...then saw Dilu's post and immediately new something was up.

My fear is that the BEARHUGS forum will just be forgotten...and those who need us won't get it because we are all too busy...and let's face it, we are all busy with other aspect of our lives.  Many of us hardly get a chance to pop on TT as much as we would like as it is.

I just think it's sad that it come to this...that's all.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Thank you ladies,

Shantelli, honey, we thought that about the minis and needlefelting too and we were worried no one would use them and they are very regularily used....We are hoping the same thing will happen with this forum.

And it really is our aim and hope to keep the general forum more lighthearted.

The help advisors wont forget Bearhugs and we will be there to help support anyone who posts.

How are you doing?  Hope all is going well.....

greatbiggollyhugs

dilu

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I must say that I kind of agree with you Shantell - it was my first thought as well.
I do however also understand that there are people on the board that are 'basic compassion and kindness challenged' and others that take things way too much to heart and they need to be able to choose whether they want to get involved or not.  Some folks can't pass by a post without comment so maybe knowing what the forum is about in advance will help them make positve choices for themselves.
Big sigh...

Cheryl bear_flower

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

That is a really great idea.

Thank you advisors

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Shantell, I always just log on and hit "show new posts" or whatever it is at the right, so I guess I don't pay attention to the catagories that much, so I know I'll still see the posts when someone needs a bear hug! I still think  that it's a great idea though, because those who don't want to read that section can choose not to. With all compassionate folks on board I'm sure that it will not be ignored! bear_flower

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Perfect name for the new forum! I don't think it will be ignored - there are always lots of us looking for ways to avoid buckling down and sewing!!!  :crackup:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Me being 100% honest, I can't say that I'm totally happy with the idea that those less inclined for spirituality were able to motivate the project. That makes me a bit uncomfortable. BUT the positive aspect wins out in the end!  Those needing support and compassionate uplifting will still receive,  no longer  vulnerable to those who would prefer not to read.  By indicating their concerns those less inclined have in turn created a FULL section for love, support, good will, and compassion.  So THREE CHEERS for that  :clap:  :clap: bear_thumb

Regarding the forum as a whole I'd really like to see the challenge area bumped up.  The challenges are based on getting a group of artists inspired, creating and sharing. It would be nice to see it up there on the list for all to see and fully appreciate.  We're not driven by swaps like lots of other "creative" forums, but challenges are fun, exciting and fresh.   

"cling clang" go my 2 cents   bear_original

:hug:  :hug:
~Chrissi

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm not say I don't LIKE it.  I'm just saying that I think it's sad that it came to this.  The title BEARHUGS is just what it should be...a place to go where you need just that a hug, a shoulder to lean on or just a place to shed tears.  But, like Chrissi said...it's more the motivation behind it and quite honestly, it won't stop anyone from posting comments that we (individually) may not necessarily feel are appropriate if they chose. 

I sometimes rarely get through General anymore let alone looking at everyone's marvelous work...now to have to find BEARHUGS...and pass out of  :hug:   :hug:   :hug: (just in case I miss someone).

STOP REARRAGING THE FURNITURE GUYS!!!  My shins hurt and the guide dog isn't here yet!!!   :crackup:   :crackup:   :crackup:

Okay enough...my vote...put GENERAL back on TOP!!!!   bear_thumb   At least that's one toe I can stop stubbing!!!

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Great idea! I think that "Bear Hugs" will be good. Even though this is a teddy bear site I feel that many of us have become supportive friends who really care about each other. It did me a world of good when so many Teddy Talkers sent me words of love and support when my daughter was so ill. I will check "Bear Hugs" on a regular basis.
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Kathy

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

hmmm still thinking..Bear Hugs is a great title! and hopefully it will be a SAFER  place to be!
i guess if we think of it as our favorite coffee shop to hang out in and with friends! we can "hang" when we need to or just want to catch up and socialize! deb  and as a creature of habit i too "lost: the general category there for a minute when you moved it!  bear_rolleyes  bear_grin

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_original  I lost the General Chat too, but in a way its a good thing as it makes me look through the other forums to get where I want to go. 

I must admit hand on heart, that I dodge the For sale section, and have for some time now.  I just don't have the pocket money, and I seriously drool over the creations listed  bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu, fantastic intro to the new category.  Thanks so much for your thoughtful description. :)

As always, as we considered this change we realized we would please some, and displease others in making it.  The BEARHUGS category is, indeed, but only in part, an effort to ensure that people who want an environment of sharing and support find one, when they post here.  It is, in part, an effort to increase safety for people making vulnerable posts.

Giving prayers/praise/personal stories their own sub-area is also a more effective way to focus that particular kind of post, and the people who respond to that particular kind of post, all in one place.  It's common to have a separate "prayer corner" on forums -- in fact, I can't think of a forum that allows such posts that DOESN'T have such an area specifically -- so this new category can be seen as a natural outcome of our forum getting bigger and more diverse and international.

Keeping prayers and praises -- and the folks who are interested in them -- separate from "everything else" is not remotely the only thing, though, that motivated the BEARHUGS category addition.  Other considerations included the fact that this forum was intended from the outset to be a community focused on teddy bears.  With soooo many of the General posts becoming personal and, frankly, totally off the teddy bear topic -- whether sharing about good news, or bad -- it made sense from our perspective, AND from the perspective of the "non-spiritual," AND from the perspective of the support seeker, AND from the perspective of the person who only has enough time to read about BEARS & forum-related issues when visiting here! and wants to maximize their time at TT, to make this change.  This way, both personal AND bear-related "general discussion" posts can be supported and attended to, recognized as equally important, each with its own focus area, without the one "diluting" the other.  There really isn't anything in common between "My niece just won Little Miss Acapulco!" and "I've been published in AMERICAN TEDDY BEAR", if you think about it... both of which would have been grouped together in the "General Discussion" area before this change.

We're still rolling out a few more minor changes which I think will please Shantell and others concerned about this change.  We're trying to rearrange the forum in ways that make better sense, at a quicker glance... removing or retitling sections and categories, grouping them more cohesively.  It will be easier than ever for people to find what they want, and avoid what they don't.  You could interpret this to mean that things won't get the attention they deserve... or you could interpret this to mean -- as I do -- that topics will get EXACTLY the attention they deserve.  Namely, the attention of those who actually WANT to be reading such material.

I think you'll all be pleased once everything comes into focus within the next few days.

Your feedback is always welcome, including your constructive criticism, which is just what you're posting so far.  Thank you!  We listen!  I know you realize we can't possibly keep everyone 100% happy, 100% of the time... and that growth forces change in every situation I can think of.  Have another baby... get a bigger car.  And so on.  Teddy Talk is just... getting a bigger car, if you will, with this change.  Because there are so many more kids to caretake now than there were when we first began!

Please be assured that we take these things seriously and spend enormous time discussing and considering every angle before making moves to change the forum.  We're doing our darned-est to ensure that all change is of a good and positive kind that will keep the community strong -- make it even stronger, hopefully! -- and focused, while allowing the forum to continue functioning as primarily a place to discuss and learn about teddy bears.  Teddy Talk is not primarily a place to share personal stories or ask for prayers, although it's my personal opinion, and that of many others, that doing so is an important part of community-building here and should remain a part of the larger forum community.  Especially because bear makers do, as a whole, tend to be a very warm hearted and supportive bunch.

Give all the change a chance and you'll see, I think, that it's a good thing.  In the end, viewing "new posts" when you visit TT, as Tami E mentioned she does when she logs on, allows people who want to, to see everything new, regardless of forum or topic.  But for those who'd prefer to skip the group therapy aspect of this site -- and you KNOW there is one! -- they can now browse by tighter, more specific categories, avoiding what chafes. 

The hope is that overall, this makes EVERYONE happier and keeps things on a positive track. 

We do thank you for your continued input, now and always.

Dilu, thanks again for your super intro, and Quy, for implementing this change.

-- Smelly (aka Shelli)

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Great Move!!!  bear_thumb

I joined this forum to talk teddies, as the name suggests.

I don't consider myself 'basic compassion and kindness challenged' but I do prefer to do this one on one, not publicly.

Congratulations Teddy Talk for using your initiative!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh..Great idea ! thanks Dilu and thank you all Teddy Talk advisors!!!  :hug:

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton
bearlysane wrote:

I don't consider myself 'basic compassion and kindness challenged' but I do prefer to do this one on one, not publicly.

When I spoke of these 'basic compassion and kindness challenged' folk, I didn't mean people that didn't respond to these kind of postings but rather to members that felt the need to belittle or make light of other members personal issues. I often don't have the time to read through the non teddy related posts either but will try to PM when I can. I hope you weren't offended Sandy!

Cheryl bear_flower

chris009av Real Deal Bears

What a great change!!!!!!!!!!!!! My only hope is that those of you that need suport can now feel free to post WITHOUT being critisised for it.
We all at some stage need a shoulder and a few hugs  :hug: 
At the same time, when your busy, it's nice just to focuss on the bear related issues.
bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Strike A Paw Posts: 535

I love the idea and totally support it!!   :clap:  :clap:

Hugs,

Julie

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I suppose change is inevitable in a growing community, though I do have mixed emotions about the separation myself.  I do love the title!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia
cherylbruinwerks wrote:
bearlysane wrote:

When I spoke of these 'basic compassion and kindness challenged' folk, I didn't mean people that didn't respond to these kind of postings but rather to members that felt the need to belittle or make light of other members personal issues. I often don't have the time to read through the non teddy related posts either but will try to PM when I can. I hope you weren't offended Sandi!

Cheryl bear_flower

No offence taken Cheryl!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I like the new category. bear_thumb 

It signals official sanction for our personal support of fellow TTers who are suffering or worrying--or even rejoicing over an incoming grandchild!

Although his support means a lot to some of us, it just annoys others. Now that they can just ignore the category, there's no excuse for the kind of cynical and grouchy posting that's meant to hurt instead of help.

sarahjane Brisbane

I hink it's a great idea  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Pages:

Board footer