Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Morning all!

Well, I just finished the last book, and I hoped it would be ok to set up a forum for those who've read it to chat about it and their thoughts on its content: I won't post any more than that until I know it's ok!

A lot happened that I thought it would, except for one TEENY twist at the end: what did everyone else think?

Can't wai to see how you all feel! Any bears being inspired?

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I am busy reading it at the moment. I could not wait.
I am still in the beginning.

It is dark from the beginning... I cannot wait to read more.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

i'm picking up my copy this morning!!
there goes my weekend!~
Marion

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

You wait, you think the beginning's dark...

There's one cracking chapter, and one totally pants one: I hope you'll agree with me!

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Well my daughter has just finished it and at 16 is blubbering like a baby, maybe she will tidy her room now, one can hope, until the next book is out. Oh yeah no more books? I think there will be another

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

bear_tongue She only signed for these 7, and I know she wants to write adult fiction now... I'm not sure sh has it in her: I like to be able to read further into 'adult books'...

I'd LOVE a James Potter series bear_laugh With loads of Smexy Snape *shudders*

Brockville, Ontario

I'm half-way thru and taking my time cause I'm enjoying it. As well, I have a friend visiting so I have to be social for some of the time  bear_innocent and pay attention to her.
I stayed up until 1 pm reading last night and when I found myself falling asleep over the pages = went to bed.
Hopefully I can finish today. My daughter and son have finished their copies, one in Waterloo and the other in Calgary - they went to the stores at midnight to get it.

Marion

K Pawz Guest

I am picking mine up today, but please if anyone posts anything about the content put huge warning banners or something as I really hate to start a book and then be told what happens!!!

Hugs,
Krista

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I have never read a Harry Potter book. ...heheheheheheheheheh
I have always meant to but have never gotten around to it...hehehehehe

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Wendy - I am in the same boat- not read any, however I would like to know the outcome of and it seems to be will he or wont he live !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this really the end-

Lynette

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Me too . . . I've never read an HP book, but have given them to young relatives as presents.  One would have to live in a hole to not know about the frenzy and excitement a book or movie evokes.  I also wanted to know if Harry died and I found out.  Lynette, Wikipedia has the answer!!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

The whole situation with Harry... I do kinda wish he'd stayed the way he was (without giving anything away XD)

I think that would have made for more realistic ending, instead of the whole 'skip off into the sunset' thing. JK Rowling said she cried when she wrote the last chapter... mine were definitely not tears of joy bear_tongue

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I almost bought the book today but I held off because I definitely don't have time to read it right now and if it was in my posession there is no way I could ressit!

If you haven't read them they are GREAT to listen to on CD while you work on bears. It helps me focus.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Hubby and I didn't read the books til after we'd watched several of the movies...I think there were three movies out before we broke down to read the first.   I can honestly say that for the most part, JK Rowling is an excellent example of 'show don't tell'!!!   :clap:   Part of the vividness of her books is all the detailing that goes into them that makes the whole come to life. 

As for the last, I'm glad I read it, glad I stuck through to the end, but admit I had to run for my ignatia amara tablets at an upsetting point  bear_cry    I was literally sick to my stomach!  But even as I took my tablets, I marvelled that through everything I've read, I've never had that reaction before  bear_happy

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Marion, I fell asleep with it open on my bed last night too!!   bear_grin   Did the same with the last book. 

I didn't start reading the series until after the first movie came out... my kids now think I'm a "Harry Potter NUT"!!

I LOVED the last book.  I laughed, I cried.  I definately laughed at one single line at the very end that was printed in CAPITAL LETTERS... (trying not to spoil anything...)   bear_grin

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Hubby and I finished the last book at 2pm this morning!!!  We have been reading it aloud together, so that we could discuss it and analyse it as we went along.  We loved it!!!  It had the right ending for a children's book.  There is so much depth to many of the concepts that JKR used - I want to read it again now.  I just got the audiobook, so I will start listening to that whilst I sew.
There were so many parts that were gut-wrenchingly sad - a few times, when it was my turn to read aloud, I had to pass it back to my hubby as it was just too sad.  JKR wasn't wrong when she said it was going to be a blood-bath!!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I was so disappointed with the last HP book...not going to give anything away............but i feel robbed of 'closure'.
I want to know MORE.
bear_sad  bear_wacko
Penny

Brockville, Ontario

I really want to know how * got hold of the sword to kill *! I thought the sword was with the goblins!

Marion

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

My mum said that too Marion, and we just asume that it can be summoned by a true Gryffindor :P

I really disliked the ending: it paints the wrong, 'and they all lived happily ever after' view on life that the book was about avoiding... still parts of it were great. I especially admired that one fateful chapter where *person* revealed an awful lot: that was lovely, but the other deaths seems to be a bit: 'BANG! he was dead. then something else happened, and we forgot all about them'.

Plus my fav character died!  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_sad  Which one?  There were so many of them dying.   bear_sad

Yes, as I saw it, a True Gryffindor summoned the sword of Godric Gryffindor....which made me snigger as to what the goblins' reaction would be  bear_laugh

As for 'they lived happily ever after'...well, the whole series was about coming to grips with death, wasn't it?  Learning how to deal with the grief, and the loss, and to celebrate the moment before you.  On the whole, I rather liked the ending, as it gives hope for the future....left you with something brighter to look forward to.  If everything ended all dark and gloomy, what would be learned?

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

My daughter just finished it and her comment about the ending was "that's it"?  She thinks by all the build up with Harry that JKR intended to have Harry die, but couldn't do it.  Could Harry be the character that got a reprieve?  Maybe!

hugs,

Brenda

Brockville, Ontario

agreed ... I was kinda let-down after all the hype. The deaths that did occur seemed random and I was disappointed in *'s death by the snake. Seemed unfair after all that.

Marion

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I LOVE *!! ('their' new code name, obviously :P)

I guessed the ending with Harry after finding out about the Horcruxes in book 6, but I feel she should have left him sacrificing himself... makes more sense. I was so sure she would, because she's said she's not doing any more HP books. 

... I love *  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I've never read the books either....(have seen the movies bear_thumb ).....but it's sounding like Harry and the Saprano's are leaving fans in the same "that's it" boat this year!! 
Maybe Bill and Hillary will do a Harry Potter parody now too...:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

:hug:
~Chrissi

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Just, just finished it 10 minutes ago! I needed to talk about it to someone and my hub hasn't started it yet bear_wacko I know I have other things that I need to be doing, but I was reduced to "ok, finish this head and attach the ears and you can read a chapter" or "go to bed 1/2 an hour early and you can read a chapter" so I'm kind of glad that its done! Boy, was it dark.
I must confess I bawled like a baby during the burial in the garden -I don't know why since ***** was never one of my favourite characters.
I don't feel that the deaths were random. I find the book has a lot of spiritual overtones for me and that JKR is writing about "bigger things" but that could just be me. I wasn't sure if I was going to let my 11 year old see the movies or not (he's death on reading so he isn't going to read the books, eventhough he tests at a much higher grade level, according to him there is no such thing as 'reading for pleasure' bear_rolleyes ) We finally let him see
them but tried to look on them not as a 'magic forces are cool' kind of thing but as a 'sometimes the choices we are called to make for the right reasons cost something' kind of thing.
Anyhooooo....
just some random thoughts and now my goat needs a body to go with the 'bargaining head' from this morning!

Cheryl bear_flower

Board footer