Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi everyone, I'm going to visit the Lake District in the UK for a few days next week and was wondering if any of you had been there and ever seen any bear supplies shops?  This bear making is addictive - even thinking of it when going on a short break;)  Also whilst I'm here if any of you have visited this area before can you recommend any of the best places to visit (although I'm sure it's all beautiful)?

Thanks if anyone can help,
Hugs
Catherine

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

There is a bear shop in Penrith....but I don't know what supplies they'd have...if any...

Jenny

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Ooh, the Lake district is one of my very favourite places, Catherine! Be sure to visit Ambleside...the Apple Pie cafe next to the main car park sells delicious cakes, yum yum! And on the subject of food, I can also recommend the Rowan Tree cafe in Grasmere. Grasmere is a must, and a day wandering through the twisty lanes, browsing through the book shops, visiting the teeny toyshop that is like a tardis inside and filled to the brim with the largest collection of jigsaws you've ever seen...well, it's heavenly! Oh, and then there's the view of course! Grasmere's a lovely place for a stroll round the lake.

I have seen a bear shop in Cumbria too...it was in Keswick (where, by the way, you can get delicious savoury pies. Does anyone think I eat my way round these places???!). I don't remember the name of the shop but it was on the way to the lake, just on the outskirts of the centre. A very pleasant lady greeted me when I went in to browse the artist bears there. Have fun!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ooooh Catherine, you lucky thing, like Helena, it's one of my favourite places too.   We used to go on holiday a lot as kids but were too young then to appreciate the scenery (you MUST take some pics to show the other Teddy Talkers what I mean!!)   FANTASTIC!!!!

We went the year before last but I can't remember seeing a bear shop - shall we open one??:lol:

I always have to visit the fish and chip shop by the car park in Bowness though - Helena, we'll get along fine;)

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hey, thanks for the tip Clare....that's another eatery to add to my (long) list....;)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I WANT TO GO, TOO!!!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Tee Hee!!   I get it from my dad, he's always been a lorry driver and know his directions by cafes and chip shops!!:lol:

Bears and food - it's a wonderful life;)

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Catherine  There is one bear shop that I know about in the area it is...... The Toychest of Devonshire Arcade, Penrith is a collectable bear shop offering Steiff, Deans, Hermann, Merythought, Cotswold, Steiner, Hermann, Spielwaren and other bears. I don't remember it selling supplies though. Here is the shops website address:
http://www.toychestpenrith.co.uk/
Check out this website for places to visit.

http://www.nw4u.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/il … 20district
I hope you have a great time, please tell us all about it once you get home.

Jane

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi, I know Gail Thornton of Bisson Bears  has a shop in Kirby-Lonsdale called the Bear Works. She actually makes her bears there too, but I do not think she keeps supplies as it was 2 years since I was down there.     Hugs Rita xx

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Catherine, I have been on holiday to the lake district  regularly, in fact we spent our honey moon there.
There used to be a couple of bear shops in Bowness on Winsermere on Quarry Brow its on the main street, on the left side going up it sells bears dolls and collectables no artist bears anymore. I once asked if he was willing to stock my bears and he said he wanted them at 50% so i walked!
The one on the other side has now gone unfortunately. they sold lots of artist bears they had a huge HM Bear once
I have been to a shop in Penrith they are mostly mass produced bears too.
i am sad to say over half of the bear shops i used to visit have gone. bear_sad

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks SO much everyone for your tips.  I'll be sure to take lots of photos so I can share them with everyone here :)

Hugs
Catherine

Board footer