Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Dilu Posts: 8,574

:D

OK.  We all know I get KillerDilller headaches, and why is still a mystery.

And we all know, by now, that dillydo tends to be somewhat clutzy, absentminded, accident prone ( kitchen? What kitchen?)

But this one totaly baffles me.....:/

I'm taking Our Miss Judi's felted faces class.  Loving it by-the-way.

So there's a movie I like, Jane Eyre, on Lifetime this afternoon.  I decided, in spite of the headache coming on, for which I took 2 Tylenol, that this was an ideal time to begin laying down the muscular structure of my bears little face.  (another by-the-way,  the pattern she gave us for a bear for the class is really pretty cute.  Longer body with thick short little legs and arms.  I like it, and since I don't sell big bears I think I will use it again)

I'm a poking and turning away and loving it, when all of a sudden (remember the hand moves faster than the eye can catch/watch it)
Diddelydoop, or is that diddelydope? anyways the needle goes in the side of my 4th finger right hand and out the other side.

And then because the motion is already in motion it come right back out again.

wooho!

Now- what did I learn.  Well something that, as a nurse and one who does her blood sugars almost as regularly as Judi, I already know: the side of the finger truly does have much fewer nerve endings, and apparently it is either side! bear_grin:lol::lol:

It didn't hurt, because the needle was so sharp and it happened so fast, and it still doesn't hurt.  I did make it bleed like the dickens while assuring the hubs that everything is alright. 

Oh honestly!  The way he carried on you'd think I cut off my hand!

Gotta love the guy.

After I was fairly sure it had bleed out anything the needles carried in (I hope) I did the proper doctoring.

When he calmed down he confronted me about having a headache, and I was sent to bed in a dark room with the proper medication.  Hmmmm
Do feel better.

It didn't hit the bone- yikes, I did that one time giving a shot, and it is the ickiest feeling! Both for the patient and the nurse.- And there doesn't seem to be any infection brewing, early yet.  And before he went to work he extracted a promise I wouldn't do any more felting tonight.

I remember when I was eight years old and my mom was teaching me some of the nuances in machine sewing.  The needle went through my index finger, right by the nail  Mom looked, Also an RN) and smiled and said " Welcome to the club, and that dear was your initiation)

I never did do it again,  and have since learned pricks and pokes are to be ignored...as long as you don't drip bodily fluids on the fabric, which after all is the important thing :D

So I doubt that I will ever do this again.  I don't consider this any initiation- a poke is ok but don't go all the way through the rest of you newbies to felting...

respectfully submitted

by

a

truly bemused needlefelter. :P

PS  didn't drip on the bear! bear_grin:lol::lol::lol:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh yes, very lucky it didn't drip on the bear.

Can't wait to see the finished product of the bear.... Guess you didn't see much of Jane Eyre?  Is that the old classic version, with what's his name in it (can't think right now!)

Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Dilu be carefule girl !!!
I do poke my finger some time too but I never poke so deep.  :(

Do you feel little better today ? I missed your long post. ;)

Hugs/Marie

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh my gosh Dilu!  You're right about the side of the finger...they tell us to prick there, still hurts to me tho!
What I do whenever I prick myself is check my blood sugar lol...no use wasting good blood lol

A funny thing happened yesterday, my mum was holding a bear for me as I threaded a needle through it, I ended up stabbing her and my first reaction was to say 'oh no, don't get blood on the bear' lol...no thoughts about her pain lol...oh dear! :redface:
hope your finger mends :(
hugs sarah

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh my, Dilu!!  You do need to just go to bed and take care of that head!!  Just more reasons for me to not start needlefelting . . . I HATE to stick my fingers!!! bear_shocked bear_shocked bear_shocked   Please take care!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu, the thought of that happening to you gave me the willies! (Wonder what that translates to in, um.... English, never mind any other language!) I'm so glad it didn't HURT! I hope your headache goes away fast... can't have any more accidents like that!!

Sarah, absolutely the best opportunity to do a blood test! Never waste a hole in the finger!

Oh, what we suffer to make bears! bear_grin

lw2ndstar Annapolis, Maryland

Oh Dilu!!  Gosh that is amazing and awful! 

Reminds me of when I was quite small, my mother ran the sewing machine needle through her thumb near the nail.  She was really calm (though it was bleeding like crazy). She took the needle out of the machine (!) and since I was the only other person around, she had little me hold the pliers to pull it out!!   AAAaaaagh! bear_shocked  But she was very calm the whole time, and I admit, I am still VERY respectful of the power of the ol' machine!

"Don't drip on the BEAR!" I gotta put that on the wall in the sewing room! bear_grin I poke myself really well at least once with every bear.

Hope your finger heals without being a bother, and that your old headaches behave themselves too!
Lynne

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh you silly old Dillykins what a painful thing to do. I stuck a felting needle into my thigh...don't ask...and the pain went on and on. Take care with those needles everyone!

I dare not even think about felting for a very long time. For those of you who don't know I have blood clots in my lung and am taking medication that stops my blood clotting so quickly. I had yet another blood test yesterday and as soon as the doctor took the needle out of my arm the were drips all on the floor...can you just imagine a needle felting accident! Not one I'm willing to risk for a very long time.

Hey Di why were you making a bear when you should have been taking care of your headache...silly Dilly...but we luv ya!

Jane.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad:( Ouch bear_sad:(

Poor Dilu!! No more TV for you whilst needlefelting!

Is there any way to protect the non-felting hand? Maybe holding the fiber with forceps?

Rochester and Jane = Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine? Still the best version!

Eileen

Deb Upstate New York

Oh my gosh ... yuck.  Um ... it has to be said that we cannot blame this one on the Gollies.  It's all Dilu.  I understand though.  Take care of yourself!

Unfortunetly it wasn't the good version of Jane Eyre- It was William Hurt and ?
I didn't finish it.  It wasn't bad at all, I thought the sets and costumes were great the acting pretty good but the head a great big pain in the A.

Finger didn't hurt though.  I simply got lucky.

Jane- keep taking your warfarin- we don't want clots in the lungs.....NOW that is very scary and all of us here in the forset are very grateful to the powers that be that you are here with us.  Are you doing the pills or the shots?

SUE ANN- DON'T LET THIS SILLY LITTLE THING KEEP YOU FROM NEEDLEFELTING-YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING!  And you aren't nearly as clutzy as I.....you could go the rest of your life not poking your finger.

hugs

bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have poked myself many times since starting needle felting!  Always happens when I look away from my work!  My finger tips on my left hand look icky from so many pricks!  One actually started to peel!

Dilu, be careful!  I had a bear that I was working on that I accidentally poked my finger with a regular needle and it was, of course, a light colored bear but I wiped it off in time....

When I needlefelt and prick myself I make a noise (not sure how to describe - kind of a gasping I guess) and it scares my dogs and they both come over to me and sniff and look at me like "whassamatta ma?" LOL

ellen ontario, canada

owwwwwwy!!  icky!!!!  please be careful Dilu!! ...and all you felters!  that story gave me the willies too.
hope you're better soon....head and finger.
bear_happy

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Youch! Careful Dilu! Actually, I can't talk....I have a habit of putting my sewing needle in the knee of my jeans, using my clothes like a pin cushion. I can't tell how many red marks i have on my legs through doing that.... bear_tongue

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ooooh Dilu - careful with that needle felting!!    This has in fact put me off needlefelting, well not just your story, but others I have read too.   I sit at the other end of the room from hubby(nothing personal, just all my clutter is at that end!), as he watches TV, I sew, and he chuckles when I 'OOOh' and 'Ooooow' when I've stuck the needle in my finger - it's not funny, it hurts, do the collectors realise what pain we go through:lol::lol::lol:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Helena,

I do the same thing when I'm hand-sewing!

I once ran to answer the doorbell (!!Intercal order!!) with a needle stuck into the thigh of my jeans and a small bear head bobbling at the end of the thread.

Eileen

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

A wee while ago i managed to shove the needle right down under my finger nail leaving a big blueish red blob under the nail

That hurt like Billy Oh!!!!!!

Your injury sounds awful Wonks - glad it did'nt hurt you but did'nt you feel just a bit queasy with all that blood. I know you are a nurse but there is something decidedly nasty about your own blood rather than somebody else's don't you think?

Penny bear_shocked

Aww PEN-  blood has never bothered me, I guess starting out in emergency cured me. What I can't handle is the LUNG GUNK.....unhuh.....no way no how....you want me to suction WHAT???

Eileen I would have loved to see you answer the door that way- that is to funny.

My finger not only didn't hurt but because I let it bleed really really good it is all better, and I have my finger back for typing.

I realoly didn't want to make anyone feel icky....I truly thought it was funny....Although I don't want anyone else to do it....

Kim I had looked up at the movie, you're right, it was the old paying attention thingy that has been following me around for the last 50+ years.

:D

For those of you who are put off, you are denying yourself a really great art form....in our field.....it is truly so much fun....well PigMonkeyBear aside....:rolleyes:

bear_tongue

Hmmmmm  dinner time.  guess it's time to set fire to the kitchen.....:lol::lol:

Board footer