Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

I am fairly new to bear making and am changing my style of bears. I want to start making my dream bears and I am wondering how to make big feet...How can I do this? Do I just make the pads bigger or ??? I am confused. I LOVE the bears with the huge noses, small ears and BIG feet! Help would be greatly appreciated...

Also as a side note, I am a newbie to this community and am happy to "meet" all of you and get to know you better. My name is Alexis, I am a sahm/wahm to my son Kaleb bear_wub . I do all sorts of crafts, but bearmaking is my fave!
Thanks for any help,
Alexis bear_grin

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

HGidday Alexis here is a link that should help you.
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=1029

Welcome to Teddy Talk. :dance:  We love photos here at TT 'so ya betta git ta postin sum' bear_grin  bear_grin
Cheers Wendy

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Hahaa, I will post some pics without a doubt...I just have to get some time to get them together...
Thank you for the link and the welcome, it is sooo appreciated! :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

There are a number of shows going on this weekend so the board may be a little empty this weekend possum.
So dont count the lack of responses to your post as personal. :hug:  :hug:

When I taught myself pattern making I just measured all the patterns that I had on hand so I could get an idea about proportions.  Good luck and dont forget to let us know how you are going with these feet. bear_thumb
Wendy

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

You are too sweet! Thank you!  :hug:

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Alexis, welcome to TT
I draw my pattern on cheap copy paper, cut them out and then tape the seems together with masking tape so I can see how they will look. If they are wrong then it is easy and quick to untape and redraw around the original and try again, works for me :hug:
I am quite new too bear_wub you will love it here they are all great people

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Welcome to TT Aexis. 

I'm quite new too, in fact I'm still using other peoples patterns  bear_grin 

I love the sound of the new style  bear your trying to create.  (I too have a thing for large noses - but only on bears :crackup: )

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your bears soon.

Hugs Ali

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies... :hug:
I am too excited to be here. I still use some patterns sometimes but I have been making my own bears for a while, but now want to create my dream bear. I cant wait to make it and show all of you...I am also glad that their are other newbies here.  bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Welcome Alexis!  We are very happy top have you here.  This is fun place and there is lots to learn and share.

For my two cents about big feet, I would start with making larger foot pads.  When you become more comfortable with bear making and designing you could try adding a top foot gusset to really expand the foot.  Most of all don't ever forget to have fun while discovering all the wonderful possibilities of designing and creating your bears. bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  :hug:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I usually make one piece of the bear at a time, If I am trying to work out a new head style, I work the pieces of the head til I get what I am working towards. I end up with a few un attached heads??  :crackup:  I do the same thing witht the feet and legs, I try out different feet and foot pad sizes and shapes til I get what I am after. 
You would be suprised how shortening the leg and increasing foot and foot pad size can change the personality of the bear!!

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Judi, Thank you for your expertise, I will try some new stuff, and I always have fun...LOL! I LOVE making bears, it is a hobby that has turned me into a Wahmmy Sahm, lol!  bear_grin

Kathy, That is what I do TOO! I have chunks of bears everywhere. An arm here, a leg here, lol! I make my bears in pieces by hand since I am too nervous to use my machine...  :redface:

To all of you, can I just say that your bears are exquisite...WOW! I am too lucky to hang with you ladies!  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Big welcome to our forum, Alexis!  I'm a learn-by-experience person, too, so enjoy the ride along the way to your destination!

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Thanks Sue Ann  bear_thumb

Board footer