Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

This is a little embarrassing.:/  I need some input from you so I can figure out how to get out of a jam concerning my website.

Once upon a time, about a year and a half ago, a charming young dreadlocked artschool graduate need a place to stay for a short time while she gathered funds to fly back home to South Africa.  It just so happened that we had a guestroom open.  being that her major in art school had been web design, I had the perfect way for her to earn money for her ticket to home.

So Kirsti came and stayed here at our old school house home for about a week while she and I worked together every day to produce the beautiful website you can see at http://www.foolsgoldbears.com.  She had all the knowhow, I had the yea or nay rights, and a few aesthetic ideas.

The site was built over a website template service I had subscribed to through BearPile.  Dave Stack is a great guy, I love what he is doing for the bear community, but my vision for a site was beyond the capability of his plugins, so basically, what Kirsti did was take the site I got through BearPile and tweak it till it looked like what I wanted.  That done, she bought her ticket with her earnings and flew off to South Africa. 

After running my lovely new site through BearPile for a few months, I got an offer from someone who wanted to do updates to my site, along with hosting, for about half what I was paying Dave.  Sounded good, so I let the  person do the domain transfer all at their own expense and commenced with the new hosting/update service.  This person did a wonderful job of updating my site perfectly, just as I would have done it myself if I knew how, now that I wasn't on Dave's template any more.

Things went along swimmingly for several months, until suddenly without warning, it was announced that my site was being transferred to the hands of someone who had purchased my site along with some others that my webmaster owned.  That was OK with me.  I wished my webmaster a fond farewell and patiently waited for the next person to come on board,.... and waited.... and waited.............  , my site lying dormant with no updates all the while.  After about 3 months I received a phone call from the new webmaster.  In our conversation I mentioned that I would like to have a way to do updates myself.  They said that could be done, but first they had to do some work on the group of sites they bought along with mine.  When they had that up and running, then we could talk about me doing updates.

The new person made an attempt at doing updates for me, but their heart was very obviously not in it.  Communication was difficult, and the resulting updates did not meet my expectations.  When I was sent a bill, I said I declined to pay until my updates were in line with the quality of what the former webmaster had done for me.  I reminded them that I would like to have a system where I could somehow do my own updates, or move to another webmaster.  At that point it was pointed out to me that I didn't own my site.  I would have to Pay $575.00 if I wanted the rights to my site.  Sure enough, I discovered that it was in my contract.  I had agreed to it.  After that conversation, no updates have been done since, and that's been probably 3 months or more.

When my husband heard that I didn't own my site any more, he asked me if my contract with the former webmaster was "assignable".  I didn't know what that meant, but he said it means that for someone to sell a business agreement, there needs to be a clause that says it will be OK to do so.  I had no recollection of any such clause, so I emailed the new webmaster and asked what made them think that the contract was assignable. 

They got very PO'd and accused me of having some undesirable traits, but in the process, they said they would send me a copy of the site on cd.  That has not happened yet.

Meanwhile, there sits my website, looking pretty, but with outdated info.  I came across a webhosting group on the internet and talked with someone who told me he thought I was the victim of a common ploy that is occuring a lot where people are talked into giving away the rights to their domain names.  He advised me to speak to the person who sold my site and find out whether I still owned my domain name. 

When I called the former owner, they had pity on me, changed it back into my name and gave me info to access the place where I could resubscribe to the hosting.  So now I know that the domain name is mine, but I don't know if I can access the workings of my site to change anything (if I knew how).  The former webmaster said I should phone the new one and ask for the site to be put on disk and sent to me.  I haven't done that yet because I don't know if I need to, and if I had my site on disk, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

A new friend suggested that I get coffe cup web design software and start over with a new site.  I did find a place where I could download a free 20 day trial, which I now have, but when I tried using it, I didn't get very far before getting stuck, not knowing what to do next.  I think I would really prefer being able to work on the one I started with, but I don't have much of a clue how to go about that.  The webhost guy I talked to looked at my site and said it is made on 'FrontPage', and that some people don't like that program, but he thinks it's good if you avoid their default browsers (? I think?)

An old friend mentioned a couple of days ago that our local adult ed just started a class on Photoshop, which is the program Kirsti used to fix up my site with.  If I hurry, I can get into the class and only miss one session.  It is one night a week for 3 hours per session.  Sounds like it could be a lot of work but the time is now if I want it.  Problem is, do I want to wait 2 more months or so, til the class is finished, to start working on my site that has been sitting for 3 months already, AND learn to use FrontPage on my existing site?  Or do I forsake the class, dive into Coffecup and forget about my current site? 

Practically, I think the answer would be to forget my current site because when the webguy looked at my site, he said it was made by an amateur.  That might make it even harder for me to get it right, once I finally got started, or maybe the guy thought he could sell me a professionally made (EXPENSIVE) site.  Maybe I should take the PS class AND work with coffe cup, which my new friend said she would help me with, to make a brand new site.  The whole thought of trashing my beautiful existing site makes me cry.:(:(  But if I could make a fresh, new beautiful site, that I knew intimately because I made it myself, maybe that would make me smile.:):)

OK, Kids, tell me what you think about all of this.  What would you do?

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hello Laure,

Please email me at qubertman@yahoo.com. I can assist you with your dilema.

Quy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Laure... Chocolate is the answer.  Buy a LOT of it.  Have some coffee, too.  Polarfleece helps.  Maybe a kitten or two...?

In seriousness... I've been playing a lot with PhotoShop lately and have a fairly good grasp of the Coffee Cup software to which you refer (gee... I wonder why...?) bear_happy 

Want me to give a go at creating a template for you, based on your old site?  I really enjoy doing this and would love the opportunity to get some of my work onto the web so I can build a small portfolio of work for show.  No need for elaborate credit to me should you use it; just nod "yes" if anyone ever asks if it's my template at work!

Before using Coffee Cup I literally had zero web design experience and not very sophisticated PhotoShop skills but with just a few hours (yes, some SERIOUS few hours... several days worth of a few hours) investment of time I figured out how to do everything and anything I wanted on my site. 

It does have some limitations, including the fact that it saves files in a proprietary .vnu format which can't really be "read" by other programs.  But a programmer friend of mine who looked at it told me she was surprised to find that it writes in JavaScript vs. html, which she said is a more "sophisticated" programming language.  Whatever THAT means! bear_happy 

She told me that one could always VIEW SOURCE from the published webpage, a page at a time, and then copy and paste the code if one ever wanted to move to another web design program. 

It also take times and practice to get things just EXACTLY as you want them, and I haven't figured out how to create forms, for example (I think it's something I'd have to get the html for, and then insert "as html", which IS a function this program has, but which I don't really use except for my stat counter)... but it's all do-able, and with a template already in place, you can click on the different features (shapes, text boxes, buttons, etc.) and figure out how to jmake changes/additions from there.

Write me!  info@potbellybears.com.  I'd love to help out.  I really like this program a lot and think once anyone gets the hang of it they will find it intuitive too.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't know the first thing about website design, but I'm with Shelli's first suggestion . . . dig into your comfort food of choice and hug a few teddy bears!! bear_laugh

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Thanks, You Guys! (in my lingo that includes gals too)

Being able to dump on you like I did and have you respond with politeness, even caring, is comfort food to my soul.

I will be following up.

Huge Hugs,

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Laure,

Chocolate and a glass of wine in the spa, and take a deep breath.  I can't help you but I sure do feel for you.  I had no idea it was so complicated.

more chocolate, more wine

yep-  feel better already

Dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Microsoft Front Page - a program from h**l but fairly easy for the dummy. You have to love and hate such a program. I took a course in it at the high school continuing ed department in town after working with the program about a year and getting frustrated with it over and over. The instructor started out by saying how awful the program is and all the quirks it has. (So it wasn't me!!!) The latest version has eliminated many of those quirks and addded some helpful features. It's what I did my website with. It's limiting - or at least that's what I blame the fact that I can't make it look the way I want it to. I think it's actually me and my lack of knowledge on how to do graphics.

Chocolate and potato chips (gotta have something to balance out the sugar!) followed by lots of coffee or tea! Just be sure to share with the bears! (They'll make your life worse if you don't!)

Daphne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh My GOsh!  Laure!!!!  I am so embarrassed!!!  I forgot to email you back!! (going to do that after I post here LOL!)

I love your site!    As for my own web design... I went the "keep it simple" route.   I wanted my pages to load as quickly as possible for anyone who might want to buy one of my bears - even if they had an old computer on dial up modem.  (I used to ask my mom to check my pages for me till she got a new computer LOL!)  I also wanted to be able to update it quickly and easily.

When I started my site, I was very intimidated by Front Page and Dreamweaver.  (at the time that's all they really had out there)  They were expensive programs PLUS you would have to spend $ and take a class just to understand the program you just spent big bucks on! :rolleyes:

I decided to learn how to write the HTML code by hand.

I took the basic HTML class here: http://www.lvsonline.com/index.htmlI learned a LOT from this class!  I knew absolutely NOTHING before I took this $25 class!
They don't offer that exact class anymore... but what I'd take is the 1st class in "Build your Website".  they teach you CSS in that now too... don't think I learned that LOL!  I actually didn't have time to completely finish the class... but I did print out everything and refer to it again and again.

I also learned a lot from this free site:  http://www.lissaexplains.com/  I figure, it's designed to teach website building for kids... so I should be able to understand it LOL!

Here's a few other helpful sites...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/web-page.htm

http://www.jmarshall.com/easy/html/

And this one has a list of some basic "tags":
http://www.web-source.net/html_codes_chart.htm

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I think your site looks great Laure!  I know nothing about web design.  Nancy Tillberg designed my website and she updates it for me.  I feel lucky to have her do this  but on the other hand I am sure there is a lot of satisfaction that would come from being able to be in control of your own site.

I get excited when I learn new things about computers...in baby steps, mind you.  Nancy showed me how to work with photos on these forums and wella!....what fun.   

Shelli, your website is amazing.  Great job!!!

Besy of luck Laure!!!
HUGS, Judi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Thanks, Miss Judi! bear_original

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Shelli,

Just "popped" into your website ... hadn't seen it for awhile .... WOW !! ... looks great!    I feel honored to be one of the "examples" ... thanks bunches

Hugs,

Wanda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You're most welcome... thank YOU!  And did you notice your avatar is a click-thru link on that DESIGN page, too?  A little extra publicity never hurt anyone... bear_happy

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

I just have to say....I love all of your Avatars! How are you all doing them? Would love to have one. They look so professional and fantastic.

Laure..love your site! Good luck with whatever route you take for your new one. I also would start over so it is entirely yours from beginning to wonderful finished product.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Good luck Laure--you've got a lot of talented people pulling for you! :D

Thanks also everybody for all those links to website info. When I've got enough bears to show (hysterical laughter here bear_grin ) I'm going to need them . . .

Eileen

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website
Shelli wrote:

You're most welcome... thank YOU!  And did you notice your avatar is a click-thru link on that DESIGN page, too?  A little extra publicity never hurt anyone... ;)

Shelli,

You're too much ... I didn't know that.  Now will have to go back and give it a try.  Thank you again.

Hey, do you mind if I add your avatar to my links page?  It might take me a while to get it accomplished as I don't have as much "play" time on the computer as I would like.  Have to get a bear finished tonight so I can get pics and send to collector.

Thank you for all your help and I always enjoy reading your messages.  Keep up the good work.

Hugs,

Wanda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Use at will!  But thanks for asking anyway.  It's always nice to be politic about such things.... bear_happy

Aww Gee Laure;

Loved your site, appreciated the chocolate colored background.....very restful on old eyes....and your babies....so sweet, so nice.

If I were the kind of gal to get discouraged, and figure there was no hope, your site would do it. 

BUT....I'm not; instead you guys just inspire me to work harder and learn more.

Thank you, all you little inspirations in Teddyland

Dilu

Now I guess I'll go cruising to everyone else's sites

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Interesting thought, Dilu... Laure's site does bring thoughts of decadent chocolate.

I hadn't associated my website background color to my love for chocolate but there could be a link there too!!! My text color choices could be connected to my love for flavored coffees with lots of cream! Hmmm..... (scratches head)..... getting craving here..... bear_laugh:D

I can totally understand Laure being anxious to get her hands on her website. The more websites I visit the more I'm ready to give mine a face lift.... but I just did that this winter and once I start on THAT again it'll be months before I get another bear made! I'm learning more and more about graphics and photo editing (thanks in part to all of you :)) so perhaps it won't take me QUITE as long next time! HA!

Wanda, I hope you always keep Tyler here for me to gaze at... sometimes I visit him on your site for a bigger shot! bear_laugh:D I'm in love... bear_rolleyes

When I was a teenager-lo those many, many, many years ago, I lived in Rome, during vacations, with my folks, and went to boarding school the rest of the time.

I remember, (believe it or not long term memory is the last to go,) ....I remember well the first time I saw the Sistine Chapel ceiling.  I recognized the greatness of Michelangelo's achievements.  I was in awe of his marble Moses.

Fast forward about 150 years- I recognize in you ladies same type greatness in your achievements.  Yes different medium, yes, "its just a teddy bear" but I looked at all your websites this evening.  Granted a teddy has a head, a body, some arms, some legs....how different could you make it?  But each one of you has a style all her own.  Each one of you has created your own niche in the bear world, by working at perfecting your style.

Each one of you wants to sell your bears....you would like to make a living selling your art

AND YET

And yet you have generously, graciously, willingly shared your secrets, your tips, your hard earned expertise to allow us neophytes to learn and grow at our own craft.

Some of you may not recognize what a remarkable thing this willingness is.  In many artistic venues such sharing would not be the norm, it would be the singularly remarkable artist who was willing to share.

I just wanted to share these observations with you.  You're helping the rest of us so that everyone can have the satisfaction and fun of growing in this medium is kind as well as unique.

Such websites....oh my!

Thanks Ladies

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You are very nice and generous, Dilu!! bear_laugh bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu,
Thank you for sending us all such warm fuzzies!
We are a unique group of artists.... I agree with your sentiments.
Bear Hugs,
Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Dilu, you just absolutely made my day... week... month... maybe year.  Thanks so much for saying those great things.  I love the community of bearmakers to which I belong.  I'm glad it somehow shines through!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I have to agree with Dilu, I have been amazed by the generosity of artists!!!  The bear world certainly is a great place to be!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Double Ditto from me :D

You ladies are all the greatest.

To generosity and kindness-to-newbies, I'd like to add  the very high standard of artistry and workmanship you hold up to us.

You show us that these achievements are difficult --but with hard work and persistence and a bit of ingenuity, not impossible. "Knowing" the people behind these gorgeous bears is truly inspiring!!

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I'd like to say the same!  But I'm not an artist with words like Dilu is!!  Wonderfully put!!:D

Board footer