Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I am curious, can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of using glass eyes on Decoy Wires, and how you use them.

Are they good quality?

I have only ever used glass eyes with the wire loops all ready to sew in.

Much appreciated.  bear_happy bear_happy

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

On whatty wires?? Speak blonde woman! :doh:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

untitled3.jpgHayley,  :dance:

Here is a pic

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I have not used these for years. You have to cut to about 1 1/2" them make your own loops. The only trouble is your eye holes have to be bigger to take where you twist the wire around to secure. I would use them if I got them at a good price, but I would not go out of my way to buy them.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Amanda - this is what I am using also - what do you recommend using?  They are a pain in the you know what to bend and loop and then sometimes the loop doesnt want to pull through the mohair - makes me angry!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Yep they do your head in. I'd stick them on ebay and get rid! I use the prelooped ones as I can't be bothered with them. The hole where the eyes go through has to be really big with the ones above. I'd cut your loses and buy some more. With the preloops you just thread them up then close the loops with pliers and they go on real easy.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

ohhh I hate them!  I try to bend them around and they end up in a huge mess or too long and too hard to pull into the head...argghhh lol
good luck if you try  :pray:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ok well it is good to know that it isnt just me! I ticks me off!  :twisted: 

I need to find some others then...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Actually, I'm trying to unload a bunch of these.  I prefer the prelooped ones, too.  I use the precrimped kind, so I don't even have to do THAT step!

If anyone wants my decoy-wired eyes, let me know.  I think they're 12 - 14 mm, and I may have some a bit smaller, too.  Can't remember...

Let me know.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

The ones I have the wires arent as "high quality" as I had thought... shelli - are the ones you have "high quality"  I can deal with looping them myself but I cant stand when they have to be "matched up" and the wires arent very good...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I have no idea what they are.  They're from my early days of bearmaking and I got them in a lot on eBay.  For sure, they need to be matched up; the pupil and dome sizes are very different.

Remember, tho, I'm offering them for FREE!  bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Well if you insist  bear_tongue I will gladly take them off your hands bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hey Kim, email me with your snail mail address and I'll pop them in the post possibly even later today!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

macintosh.jpgIf you want, I will send you a couple pieces of material for mini bears - I think they are 9"X9" They are what I made macintosh out of...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Sure, that would be great!  Thank you! bear_original

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Girls, its sounds like a lot of extra hard work  and frustration using them, thanks for all the responses, you have cured my curiousity.   :dance:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Awww man, remember those cool vintage eyes I bought?? They are on a straight wire.
I'm gonna figure out a good way to use them. No way I'm getting rid of these.
Thanks for the tips though, now I know not to go out and buy anymore!
Heather

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Shelli - material is on its way, I have included a few pieces of Mactintosh's fabric (I am not sure what kind of material this is - it is synthetic though), two long-haired synthetics (one is what my new bear is made out of - i havent posted a pic yet and the other is what Oscar (Teddies 4 charity) is made of) and a piece of upholstry mohair (what Muffin was made out of)  I have given you a variety and this will get you started - wish I had a better selection but I am waiting for a shipment! 

Since you are just starting, these can be your trial pieces bear_original  I know you will make some fab minis as well!!!! 

Enjoy!  bear_innocent

Board footer