Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I'm thinking of buying a sewing machine primarily for bear and dollmaking.  I have no idea what features to look for, what are good brands etc...I only have a small budget.

The only time I've ever used a sewing machine was in high school and I hated it!  I'm hoping I have more patience for it now though  bear_tongue

Any recommendations or tips on what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks bear_original

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I learned long ago that mohair is very hard on sewing machines so every few years I buy a Brother.  The $100 ones at Walmart, that go forward and backward and zigzag if you're lucky.  I know a lot of people buy fancy machines that do all sorts of stitches or sergers or something, but if all you're doing is making bears you don't really need all that.  I never sew clothes or anything other than bears so it's a good investment.  I think if them like bic lighters, they are cheap...dependable...and disposable when the inner workings become so clogged with mohair it's hopeless. 

I have had a fancy Singer and a really expensive Pfaff, and I never found they did any better job and to service them was the same price as buying a new Brother.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I'm also interested in this question: eagerly awaiting answers!  I've found a bargainous machine (a ER CLASSIC KPN SERIES?) with a 5 year guarantee on it because it's ex shop display, and one of the best things in it's description is: "Will sew through multiple layers of fabric" bear_laugh My mini sewing machine died when I tried it... Also "Fabric range: fine, medium, heavy including: quilting denim, leather, suede, curtains and soft furnishings " sounds good to me... still not sure what else I need though!  bear_happy

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I have a Janome sewing machine, and I absolutely adore it.  I had never got on terribly well with machines before this one, but it is smarter than I am, and helps me along the way.  If I ever do anything wrong, it beeps at me and I end up having quite a conversation with it.

It handles the mohair really well, and it also copes with all the wrong buttons I push.  I highly recommend the brand, and I think they do quite a range from basic machines to really tricky dicky ones.

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

i too have a janome...i'd never sewed before i started making bears and my model came with a switch to control the speed , as well as the pedal...so thats why i bought it..lol...it does have about 40 stitches and probably other features, but i wouldnt know as all i do is back and forwards....oh and it has a needle threader that id be lost without bear_grin

scruffiebears Posts: 318
Website

I have a Janome and when I bought mine I went to the local sewing machine shop with some scraps of mohair and they tested out different machines for me. This one is great for thick fabrics. As advice from people who sell them because some machines are only meant for dress fabric and it wouldn't last you long. I traded my old one in and got a 5 year warrenty and its still going strong.

Hugs
Susan

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Catherine - you don't need anything fancy for bear making! You'll need to think about what kinds of stitches you'll need to make dolls, if you are making clothing for the dolls etc. this could make a difference in what you get.

For bears you really just need to be able to do a straight stitch forwards and backwards. Be sure the machine you get has a good 'reverse' button, lever or what have you. That's the only complaint I have about mine which is a computerized machine and the touch sensitive button doesn't always work.

I used my grandmother's Morse sewing machine for years... it was from the 50's.... no fancy options and it worked great for a no-name machine.

The only other consideration is if you are going to sew real fur. In this case I would take some fur to the store with you and try them out..... some aren't going to be 'heavy duty' or forceful enough to go through the pelts with ease.

Most all machines come with a few basic stitches.... zig-zag, satin, etc. Are these enough for your doll making or do you need more of a selection?

Where ever you go to buy talk to someone there who knows sewing machines, bring mohair or whatever you'll be sewing so you can try the machines out... stick to your guns on the price you can afford and needs you have.

bear_thumb

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I have a brother.  nothing fancy but i does what I need and does it well.  I'm happy with that.

scruffiebears Posts: 318
Website

I forgot to say I only use straight stitch on mine for the bears and it reverses.

Hugs
Susan

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Let's see I hit the sewing machine repair shoppes and look for unclaimed repairs.  Where I live after 30 - 90 days any repairs that are not picked up are considered the property of the repair shoppe and they can sell them for the cost of the repairs.  I picked up an old Dressmaker from the 50s/60s.  I have had it for nearly ten years.  As long as I keep the fuzzies under control I don't have any problems.  I have small attachments that I use on my vaccum cleaner to clean up the dust every so often.  I have only taken it in once to have a repair done.  That was to replace the bobbin shuttle, because the orginial worn out from use.

But I recommend getting an older machine with straight stitch, backtac (reverse), and a zig-zag.  Other than that I don't recommend getting anything too fancy.  If you need more stitches or fancy stitches, I suggest getting a second machine and only use it for the fancy stitches.
I do have an inexpensive Singer ($100) that I use as a back up when I need to take mine in for repairs.  I like it better than the Brother machines, but it is too lightweight.  I found that it would "walk" across the table as I was sewing, not good.  It needs more weight.  It is also smaller than my other machine and I found that I didn't have enough sewing room.  But I would still recommend it over a Brother any day.
I bought mom an old machine, which has worked out just great for her.  Before that every 12 to 18 months she was going to Wal-Mart to buy another Brother.  They just weren't worth fixing.  For about $50.00 I picked up a unclaimed repaired machine and saved her $100 every 12 to 18 months.

If you are going to sew leather or real fur then you need to get a leather needle, the sewing shoppe should have them on hand or should be able to order them for you.  A leather needle has a triangluar shaped point which allows you to sew through leather and real fur.needle5.gif

You also need to make sure that you are using the right gauge needle.  I use a ~ 14, sometimes heavier sometimes lighter.  It all depends upon the weight of the fabrics that you are sewing.

I also recommend taking some samples of the fabrics that you are working with on a regular basis.  Just make sure the samples are big enough that you can try sewing on them with a several different machines.

Basically, I recommend finding an older machine with fewer stitch options for your everyday bear sewing.  And if you need fancy stitches then buy a second machine with all the fancy stitches, but for most of us a basic machine will work great.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I agree, the best way to test a machine and get what you need it to take some fabric samples of what you usually sew and try out the machines at the shop and see which works best for you. I did that years ago - must be 25 at least YIKES!!! - when I needed to replace my Sears Kenmore that was causing me problems. First I went and bought a Bernina as I had heard they were so good and had always wanted one. Well, I got it home and it wouldn't sew half the things I wanted it to - skipped on fine sheer material and wouldn't sew over the bump in hemming jeans at all (I'm short so always have to shorten my jeans!). That's when I took the Bernina back to the store and my little fabric baggy with me to try out all the machines. I also called a couple of repair shops and asked them what machine was best to get as far as being the most reliable and needing the fewest repairs. They told me to get a Husquavarna (also called Viking in places other than Canada) as it runs forever and needs little maintenance or repair - doesn't even need to be oiled!!!! It also worked the best on all my fabric swatches so that is what I bought and I still love it 25 years later.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I also have a Viking Husqvarna and LOVE, LOVE it.  It's about 13 years old and is a digital wonder with all sorts of decorative stitches and folderol.  But it also is a real trooper at just the mundane task of bearmaking.  If you don't need all the extra fancy stuff - just invest in a reliable, but cheaper machine.  I did buy a backup . . . a very cheap Singer which was advertised as a "school model".  Now talk about plain sewing ---------- , but I've only had to use it once.  I use a size 16 or 18 needle to sew through fur.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I use a Pfaff ... it's been serving me well for quite a few years and it copes beautifully with mohair and thick pile synthetics.  It has an additional foot to press the fabric together.  It's not fancy, but by gum it works!  It was in the region of about £600 originally (I don't think they make my model any more ... it's about eight years old, but they are bound to make something similar still) so quite a hefty outlay, but well worth it.  I've never even needed to have it serviced.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I use a Singer Industrial from the 1940's :clap:  I got at a close-out of a NYC sweat shop. I use very thick Belgium synthetic materials and some leather. This machine can go through anything easily, it's very simple. They just don't have machines that are created out of such finely machined metal parts anymore. It's a credit to the machinist and craftsman of that era. If you can find a fabric sewing manufacturer going out of business or at a manufacturing company auction, you can get some great sewing machines, very strong and durable!
Karen
P.S. It was dropped into a nice new sewing table with a foot and knee pedal included.

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

I have a Husqvarna and I love the thing. I've had it for probably around 13 years and it still works awesome. the only issue I ever had with it is the little bobbin sensor that tells you that you are going to run out of thread got clogged with mohair (I didn't know you should clean under the plate once in awhile..lol). I had a cheap Singer before that (and a Kenmore before that, which I hated), which I thought worked fine.. but after getting the Husqvarna, well that poor Singer has not been used since.. lol. 
Best thing to do, as everyone else has mentioned, go try out the machines in the store and see which one worls the best for you.

Bear Hugs!
Melanie

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I'd suggest what others already have....take mohair, fur, what you use to the shops and test the machines.  Really take your time with it. Some machines just don't do mohair & fur well.

I sew on a 1950's singer featherweight and I wouldn't trade it for anything right now.  It handles mohair like a champ. I love my machine. bear_wub   

:hug:
~Chrissi

Melbourne, Australia

Thank you so much everyone for your replies and suggestions, it has really helped me a lot  bear_flower  :hug: Sounds like a few of you have some "oldies" but "goodies" bear_original

Taking in some fur samples definitely sounds like the way to go to find my perfect machine!

I mainly work with synthetics, but I do use mohair occassionally.  I'm starting to get into cloth dolls too, so I'll be using thin fabrics as well....hmm, alright, it's given me lots to think about bear_original

bearlykidzbears Bearly Kidz Bears
Lodi, Ca.

When my Janome went down for a repair job it just needed a cleaning but I throught it was more so I got a new Brother I hated it I was so happy when I got the Janome back and would never be without it again.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I have only had my Janome for about five years. It is so streamlined and no fuss and the best thing about it is that I have'nt broken it yet. You really could call it IDIOT PROOF bear_grin
Wendy

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I guess I'm just cheap! I have  $100 walmart special machine and I love it! Granted I'm not sewing full time but it does everything I need and is lightweight so I can move it easily. I'm sure other machines are better but if you're really on a tight budget, don't worry even a cheap machine will get you started!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Catherine: For me, I needed a machine that has the needle "up - down" feature. When I turn on the down feature, the needle will stop with the needle still in the fabric. It is a life saver for me because I sometimes need to adjust the fur and it keeps it even. Many machines do this. I use a Viking Platinum 750. Also this is a machine that needs little to no maintaince   and the bobbin use is easy for me to wind. I also like the needle threader too...All features are something I wanted, but not necessary.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Mine is a Husq/Viking that was my second purchase after my wegging (the first was a large chest-style freezer!) 44 years ago. It was one model down from the then top-of-the-line. It is an absolute workhorse, having sewn everything from heavy upholstery and winter coats down to lingerie and swimsuits. Every few years I take it in to get a maintenance/cleaning.

The only thing I wish it had was the needle up/down automatically feature like Michelle's. It would be so handy to not have to ease the flywheel that extra turn by hand to place the needle down before lifting the feed dog.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

One thing to remember - is to ask the shop you purchase your machine from to show you how to clean the bobbin case.
Often with sewing mohair this will clog up with fiber. Often sewers just take a brush and clean out the fluff around the bobbin case, but you need to actually be able to take the casing out and the area around the rotary hook must be cleaned.  It is not something that is shown in manuals so ask the shop to show you. Also remember that it has to be placed back correctly otherwise you will damage your machine.

In the past sewing machines were normally made in the county of origin- i.e Bernina and Elna Switzerland and so on.Due to high rising costs the less expensive machines were then made in Taiwan. Often the same machine would be produced the only thing different is that one would have an Elna Label the other a Bernina.
If I am correct Elna is no longer produced in Switzerland,with all their machines coming from the East and linked up to the Janome machines.

I was an Elna agent for many years and most machines will be fine- just your own preference. Caring for your machine will also give good results- we told customers one needle per garment, and to use the right needle for the fabric you are sewing. Using the correct thread will also make a difference.Placing a drop of oil where the bobbin case/rotary hook will also help as here you have metal rubbing against metal.

I also suggest going for a lesson on your machine when you purchase it- so many things like the right tension, using the correct pressure, winding the bobbin correctly, all make your machine a better model to work with.

I have several sewing machines.

Lynette

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks everyone for your continuing suggestions and tips on what to look for in a sewing machine!  It really is appreciated, and hopefully soon I can start looking for my machine  bear_original

Melbourne, Australia

Sorry to dredge this subject up again, but I'm finally in a position to look at sewing machines this weekend!  I've decided I'll get a Janome - I just wanted to ask those who have a Janome what model you have?

Board footer