Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I was wondering how other mini artists organise their patterns?  I have my patterns in little individual zip-lock bags, and I keep all of these in a big zip lock bag!  It's a nightmare to find a particular pattern sometimes, I pour them all out onto the floor and have to sort through each one to find what I want.  Is there a better way of doing it?

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

In theory, I keep my patterns in zip lock bags and then in a display folder, two to a sleeve, so as I can see what patterns are what.  bear_whistle  bear_whistle In practice they go back when I am having a tidy up of the work room bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

Ha Ha, I do the same. little zip lock bags then all inside a box. I put a lable in the little ziplock bag with the name of the pattern, which usually happens to be the name of the bear that was first made with it. Even so, I know what you mean about having to search through them all. The display folder sounds like a good idea. Is it one of those with pockets for trading cards?That might work a bit better, at least you can see them in a few glances.I need to be more organised, I have my bearmaking stuff all over the place in several different areas of the house. Isn't it frustrating when you know you have a certain trimming or certain sized joints, and you can't find them! bear_sad
Good discusion topic, may be I will get some ideas to sort me out a bit too.
Tiny Hugs
Gail

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I've used a 2 inch binder with page protectors.  I put the patterns in a zip lock bag, then each one into it's own page protector with a picture of the finished bear.

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Well that's funny , because I keep mine in little teeny zip-lock bags , with labels by name of the first bear I made it in to
as well Gail  bear_tongue . I wonder if it's 'cos we're sisters ?? Oh no , wait a minute though - I can find my patterns quite easily ;
I line them up standing in rows in a box so I can rifle through them index card style  bear_grin  ...... and I don't keep my other stuff
"all over the place"  bear_shocked  bear_laugh  I like a bit of order y'know ?! (clue : 3 sons , 2 dogs )
I like keeping them in a box because it "fits" in a drawer next to my armchair - I like all the essentials near me for some reason  bear_wacko
Mini Hugs , Ruth  bear_flower

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

I do the same thing....use zip lock bags.  But I also put a printed picture of either the pattern picture or what I've made from it in with it so I can look at a quick glance and tell which one it is.  I also write on the picture the name of the pattern.

/bearhugs,

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

zip lock bags and into a box here too  bear_grin must be  the way to go bear_thumb

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks everyone for your replies  bear_flower   Sounds like you are all very organised.  I hadn't even thought of slipping in a picture of the bear to help identify the pattern, great idea!  Keeping the patterns organised in a display folder sounds good too.  Looks like I've got a bit of organising to do  bear_original

CHDandMe CHD&Me Originals
Cairns

I keep mine in individual zip lock bags (glad I am not the only one) and then I have them in labelled envelopes with a small photos of the bear made up.

jude P.F.A.T.T. Cottage
Belding Michigan

There is something called Floss Away that you can find in your craft stores.  It's to store embroidery floss and it has several small plastic bags that zip shut on a binder ring.  I keep all my patterns in this and it even has a place on the bag that you can write the floss color # but I just write the name of the bear.  Now all I have to do is flip through and find the pattern I want.  Hope this helps.

mini hugs,

Jude

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

yep we are all on the same page here, I use tiny ziplocs with the name of the Bear and Pattern size. I use an Index card box to keep them in by size.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

same here i use something that looks like zip lock but cheaper bear_tongue .. than i would number it with a sticker label and drop it inside a clear file where each pattern gets there own space. Actually i would also include the actually pattern before cutting it out so that in case i want to do changes, i still have the original. .. i keep another file of the bears that i use and took note of what pattern no... and yes, it does seem to fill up, good thing i got a 2" ring binder for those!  bear_grin I just need ideas how to keep my materials as organized.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hey Catherine

Kmart here in NZ have these little mini accordian files that are great for mini bear patterns.  They may have them in Aus too - actually,I'm sure I saw them in Kmart in the gold coast because I regretted not buying more.   They are a bit smaller than a5 cardboard - I put my patterns into little ziploc bags and then stick them in the accordian file - there's a little tag at the top of each pocket that you can name.  It's still small enough that I can slip the whole thing into my handbag if I am want to trace patterns out at work.   There's a slightly bigger size too and they were cheap as chips - maybe $2.   I find it better proportioned than a file folder for mini patterns and so compact.

I also bought a storage system at smiggle in melbourne - can't remember what the mall is now called but it's the one in central Melbourne that used to be Daimaru and has the big pocket watch that plays on the hour.  They have little diary type organisers that you can put together yourself - I bought 10 clear sturdy vinyl ziploc pockets, some diary pages and some pages I could use for designing - a great on the go, take anywhere thing.  Not sure if they still have them but you could check their website. www.smiggle.com.au

Melbourne, Australia

Oh great, thanks for the info Melissa!  Going to the shops tomorrow so I'll definitely have a look in Kmart, and there is a Smiggle at my local shops too so I'll check it out,  Thanks again!  bear_flower

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Has anyone ever thought to have stencils made of their most-used patterns?
I read in Debbie Kesling's book how she suggested making stamps of patterns but then I saw a stencil stall at a craft fair and asked them about having custom stencils made.

I suppose you would have to draw any notes you need on them with pernament marker (unless it was part of the cut-out area) and it's more expensive than paper cutouts. But it'd last longer and could save you having to pin alot of different bits of paper to the material. Especially if you set up the stencil to get the most out of a patch of fabric.

Just an idea that crossed my mind..

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I keep mine in a zip lock bag too and put them in a drawer. I have a friend who puts a picture of the finished product in the front of the bag. She adds other information such as the type of fur (where she got it), size/color eyes, color of floss for the nose and any other type of information. Oh, yes, the type of paint for eyes and ultra suede color. She even put swatches of the material in the bag too! I of course am not that organized. I just through my patterns in a zip lock and chunk it in a drawer. But again, I do this as a hobby.

minibear21 Posts: 1

I too use zip lock bags although Aussie bank bags work a treat. Then I pop in the pattern, making sure I have a copy on paper uncut so if I lose a pattern I can replace it.(I am always loseing ears and foot pad patterns)then into a shoe box it goes.If I am not using the patterns regularly I pop these into a bigger zip lock for safe keeping. I keep all patterns (dated) as these can come in handy if you ever have to prove that they are yours for copyrite reasons bear_original
Lyn

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I'm an absolute terror. I moved house and this monday went to find my patterns to start again. They were just in a heap at the bottom of a large house moving box. Then thats how I store them, strewn across my work station. In other words I never put anything away, I just close the door and tidy! I'd lost an ear pattern but found it at the bottom of the bed, I'd been unpacking the box on it. I'd like to get organised but am too lazy. I'm re doing some patterns now and promise to at least label them, it would make life easier!

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

I place my patterns in small envelopes and then...(if I remember)...I like to put a picture of the bear on the envelope. It works pretty good....however it's when I can't remember where I put the envelopes that tends to be my problem... bear_grin
Kristina

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

hmm kristina.. nice idea on the photo on the patterns.. never though of that....  :clap: good one... bear_grin

:hug:

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

Thanks Ming!  bear_smile

Board footer