Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

jude P.F.A.T.T. Cottage
Belding Michigan

I was wondering what the mini makers on this list use to string joint their bears....when I first started making minis (in the cave days as my kids would say)  bear_grin  I used dental floss but then I heard that this would break down in a few years.  Though the ones I've kept are still fine.  Then I switched to upholstery thread but I like very tight joints and really struggle with this.  Now I've purchased some synthetic sinew (sp?) from Sassy Bears but it seems that when I fiddle with the limbs for pics etc it will sometimes come untied.  HELP!  What am I doing wrong?

mini hugs,

Jude

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I use the sinew from Sassy - haven't run into any trouble. You are making several knots I assume? Do you split the sinew into smaller strands? I like it cause it has a bit of stretch and does take a knot nicely.

Marion

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

I just use the "extra strong thread" that I can buy from the haberdashers in town. It comes in several different colours and I find that easiest to use, though I do for some reason use dental floss to sew ears on!
Tiny Hugs
Gail

jude P.F.A.T.T. Cottage
Belding Michigan

I've been splitting the sinew into strands about the thickness of dental floss and knotting about 3 or 4 times and that's when it's been coming undone.  I do cut close to the knot.  Maybe I just need more practice with it.  I appreciate your quick answers.

mini hugs, 

Jude

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I must say that I knot it and then wrap around the joint again and knot again. May be overkill but it does NOT come undone.

Marion

jude P.F.A.T.T. Cottage
Belding Michigan

Never thought of that Marion.  I'm going to give that a try.  How many times do you knot?

Jude

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I use Koban extra strong thread for my joints (polyester core and cotton overwrap). I can't break it and I find the cotton covering makes the knot not slip. I DO NOT however, cut close to my knot - I put the ends of the thread back onto the needle and insert through the body right by the knot (between body and limb), pull snuggly and then clip off ends sticking out of body.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Like Edie, I suspect thgat it's the cutting that's doing it.
I use the surgeon knot (a sq knot but an extra wrap on the first half) and then run the ends back through the body/limb AT LEAST ONCE before snipping off.
In my early days, I too wrapped the threads around the knot befoe knotting or buring, but found that it was actually helping to push the parts - apart!
Just one or 1 & 1/2 surgeon knots and bury the ends B4 snipping.

jude P.F.A.T.T. Cottage
Belding Michigan

You guys are the best!  I guess I was having what I call a senior moment and if I had thought it through I'd have knows to run the ends back through as that's what I do for all the seams and ears and eyes etc.   :doh:  But I love all the advice.  Thanky, Thanky, Thanky.

mini hugs,

Jude

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I use upholstry thread....I think I'm behind the times on this one though,...I like the other ideas....

Board footer