Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

This question may have been answered before, but I would like to know how to dye the wool myself.  For me it would be easier, I think, to buy the natural wool and then make my own colors needed, rather than try to find it in the colors I want.  I'm just not sure how to go about doing this.  I would appreciate any info you all can give.  Thanks.

Rhonda-Lynne Posts: 8

I just came on to ask the same question and I see in 2 months that no one has answered?  Can anyone help us out?  Please?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You need to use acid dyes..which are easy to get on-line. You can also use tea, coffee,  food dyes , plants, nuts , onion skins etc. I am off put by smells though, as I fear they may linger in the fabric.  I have found that steeping the wool in hot water works really well.  You do need to wet the wool/ mohair before it goes in the dye bath, I use a bit of detergent as wetting agent..it just helps get even colour. White vinegar can be used to fix the dye.
There is loads of info online..and I am no expert...but I have found that it's easy to do!!

Zada Creations Zada Creations
Washington

Here is a link to a good collection of articles and instructions on how to dye wool: http://www.peak.org/~spark/dyeingfelt.html 

There are many methods and dyes that are covered there.  I have used Jacquard dyes, rit dyes, even kool aid!  It is really a matter of experimenting to see what you like best.  The first time I experimented with dyeing wool was for a collector who requested a lilac colored bear.  I tried so many methods and dyes before I was satisfied. That was a few years ago and to this day I now have every shade of purple I will ever need, lol!  I learned a lot and it was fun to experiment.  Good luck and have fun with your projects!

~Patricia

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Board footer