Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

bearsofbath Bears Of Bath
Bath, UK
Website

Hi Everyone.
I was just curious as to what fellow TT'ers love to read after all the bears have been tucked up in bed.  bear_original
I have to admit I'm a sucker for the classics, my favourite author is Charles Dickens with my favourite novel being Great Expectations, I'm currently reading The Pickwick Papers, but if I want some lighter reading, Douglas Adams does the trick.  What does everyone else like to read?.... apart from all the great Teddy Bear magazines of course!!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I'm currently hooked on John Lambs Teddy Bear Mystery series!!!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I just finished one called The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evens and I blubberd through the whole thing!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I love to read mysteries and fantasy novels. I just finished the last Harry Potter and wish there were gonna be several more.

My favorite author is Clive Cussler.

Hugs,

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I read cookbooks...funny right? But I can read a cookbook from cover to cover while noting recipes I like....I find it incredibly relaxing.   I just got Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious, figured with a new little one in the family it couldn't hurt to hide veggies in food  bear_laugh

:hug:
~Chrissi

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Just finished Gone Baby Gone by Dennis LeHane.  Very good and fast reading.  Sad ending though..............

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I like how-to books and magazines in my evening down-time and don't dive into novels much anymore because there's so much cool stuff to get inspired by and to learn!  My son is positively badgering me to read THE GOLDEN COMPASS, though; he even went so far as to stick it right on my nightstand!

The last incredible book I read and one I can highly recommend was THE LOVELY BONES, by Alice Sebold, which was heartbreakingly wonderful.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Hmmm...with a hint that strong, you might flip through the Golden Compass, Shell.   bear_smile   In fact, I think I might take a look at the book myself.   bear_thumb

Anything with a horse or pony ...avatar's self explanatory.  I also enjoy the "Happy Hollisters'', the classics, and recently several non fictions, like pioneer women in avionics prior to Amelia Earheart.  I enjoy biographies, especially ones with photos that show a different time era.  It gives me a window on what life was like 'back then' and how different the attitudes were. 

And of course, if I'm feeling blue, or just need a pick me up, always a Paddington Bear book to save the day  bear_grin !!  Although Douglas Adams works as well  bear_original

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland
ChrissiCatherwood wrote:

I read cookbooks...funny right? But I can read a cookbook from cover to cover while noting recipes I like....I find it incredibly relaxing.   I just got Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious, figured with a new little one in the family it couldn't hurt to hide veggies in food  bear_laugh

:hug:
~Chrissi

Does it have some good ideas?  I've been looing at it.

I read lots of stuff.  Horror, paranormal, mysteries thriller, fantasy, sci-fi, classics... my bookcases look like a library.  I also don't mind the occassional spicy romance but it has to be well written.  I love to read new things from different genres all the time.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I don't allow myself to read many novels anymore because I get so 'in' to them that I can't put them down until I reach the last page which means I lay in the couch in my jammies all day reading or don't go to bed until 4am when the book is done. No bears, housework or errands get done that way! My life comes to a hault the moment I open to the first page until the very last word is read. Not a good thing.

However, I like the John Lamb mystery books too... they are fun and go fast.

I can't imagine reading a cookbook at night without gaining 20 pounds in my sleep as I dream of decadent desserts!
:crackup:

Lately my reading has been the inventory on Amazon...... auctions on eBay..... and a few other shopping websites as I wrap up my Christmas shopping. Not too exciting, rather costly and hard on the eyes after a while!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I just now finished reading Artist to Artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children About Their Art A lovely book with letters from children's book illustrators to future artists. A quick read like this is about all I have time for.

Daphne wrote:

I don't allow myself to read many novels anymore because I get so 'in' to them that I can't put them down until I reach the last page which means I lay in the couch in my jammies all day reading or don't go to bed until 4am when the book is done. No bears, housework or errands get done that way! My life comes to a hault the moment I open to the first page until the very last word is read. Not a good thing.

Me too!!! Books on CD are a good answer to that though. I can focus my language oriented left brain on the book and my hands and eyes can do their "right brain creative thing" at the same time. I get so absorbed in the story that before I know it I've worked six hours straight on a bear.

The last novel I actually read rather than listened to was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DebbieD wrote:

And of course, if I'm feeling blue, or just need a pick me up, always a Paddington Bear book to save the day   !!

I still adore Paddington too. I think I should get those books on CD. What better listening material for bear making time!

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I am in the middle of the last Harry Potter.

I love to read true adventure books...Touching the Void, Into Thin Air, Seven Summits...(all about Mt. Everest).

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I've been on an IRELAND thing lately...have never been so I've been hitting the Maeve Binchy novels-in the middle of "Evening Class" which takes place in Dublin.

Cheryl bear_flower

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I've read all the Maeve Binchy novels and love them. I read a lot of mystery, suspense type books  - Lee Child, Lisa Scottoline, Sue Graphton, Nelson DeMille, etc. etc. I read all the time - we came home from our trip to the States with about 85 books  between us (most from used book stores)!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Cheryl, a woman after my own heart! I have been to Ireland and dream of the day I can go back! I'd live there if I could! I've read all the Maeve Binchy books. And "Circle of Friends" was made into a movie. Nora Roberts has written some great stories set in Ireland...her's have little leprechauns in them.... well, they focus on the folklore but are still fun and describe the land beautifully. One of my favorite children's movies is "The Secret of Roan Inish" mainly because I love to hear the Irish lilt and the scenery is beautiful.

Sorry.... got carried away!  bear_original  Enjoy Ireland through Maeve's books!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I have been reading quiet alot this year, Kathy Riechs and Patricia Cornwell I really am enjoying them.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Don't usually have the time to read books,  I did manage to finally get through the last Harry Potter book, that only took me three months to read LOL.   I like Shelli like magazines, can flip through them quickly and get inspired, I do like cook books as well.  I love going to recipes sites and sometimes I can sit for a couple of hours reading recipes  bear_grin  bear_grin .

big hugs

Shane

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi,
Just started the latest novel by James Patterson.Love all his books. A great read! :clap:
Love Kayx. bear_wub

bearsofbath Bears Of Bath
Bath, UK
Website

I must admit I really enjoyed the first Harry Potter, my six year old nagged me to get it out of the library one day in the summer and we read it from cover to cover every bedtime, it was great. bear_original

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177
bearsofbath wrote:

Hi Everyone.
........my favourite author is Charles Dickens with my favourite novel being Great Expectations........

I LOVE Charles Dickens too but my fav book is David Copperfield, i can't count how many times i've read it - i love all Dickens books. I've got some really old (worthless) editions that were printed when they were first published and i think it's really nice to be reading a book that was actually around at the time of Dickens - the pages tend to drop out when i read them in bed so i have to be careful i don't fall asleep and end up laying on them all night!
bear_cry  bear_shocked  bear_wacko
My most favourite author of all is E M Forster - i don't know why, but i really get into his books, my copy of 'A Room With  A View' has totally had it so i'm hoping for a new copy from Santa this year (hint hint Santy).

I also love A S Byatt, especially the short story 'The Djinn in the Nightingales Eye', a fairytale for adults.
JK Rowling - CS Lewis - Phillip Pullman - Jill Paton Walsh.................i could go on and on and on here but a mention for Steven King is a must too, such a good writer no matter what the subject matter.

I can read all night sometimes then have a quick doze and start reading again..........obsessed with books i am. Doh! I forgot to mention John Irving - fantastic writer!
Penny
:P

P.S.
If any of you want to read a great book in bed try Paul Gallico's 'Jennie'

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I read the same  books over and over again..is that silly..I can't count the number of times I have read 'Precious Bane' by Mary Webb..I am the same with films....I have seen the Grapes of Wrath so many times I know the script off by heart!! I couldn't put 'Memoirs of a Geisha' down time I finished it and I love Charles Dickens. I like Joanna Trollope too. I don't get to read as much as I should as I don't get time. I read newspapers every day and like 'how to' books ...I have loads..I don't much care for magazines because of the advertising but I do flick through those we have in the salon..we get Vogue, Harpers , Vanity Fair..and all these 'do your house up' ones ..I do get the gardening ones..as Steve likes them. I buy teddy bear mags though, Teddy Bear Scene and Teddy Bear and Friends when I can get it...my subscription needs renewing..and Teddy Bear Review.

I just read anything and everything really!

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

I don't get as much time to read as I would like, although I just finished the latest John Lamb Teddy Mystery - and I LOVED it!!!  They don't take long to read, and are very fast paced, which means I find it hard to put them down!!
I do however listen to the Harry Potter books on CD every day whilst making bears!!  I must have been through them all about 20 times, but as soon as I get to the end of the last one, I want to start back at the first one again!!! Daft I know, but I must admit I notice some new subtle details in the story every time I go through them.  They are so fantastically written!!
Jenny - I'm like you in that I like a familiar story where I know the ending already!!  I'm the same with films - there are a few I have watched over and over and know off by heart!!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I don't read as much as before as well but do love my fantasy books. I've just read the Golden Compass again - first read it years ago. Don't remember being too impressed the first time and it was much the same for the second! Not a bad book but remember - it was written for children. The movie looks like it will be good with the special effects though and now that the Church and some scool boards  are banning the book - it should get rave reviews like the DaVinci Code.

Marion

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

The Northern Lights (Golden Compass to all you Americans) is AMAZING, and so much better than the Harry Potter series even though I don't mind those.  Definitely worth a read!  The beauty of it is that it is an HONEST children's book, not one where 'everyone lives happily ever after', and it's not afraid to include controversial issues like religion and homosexuality either.  It's much more representative of a modern society than the Harry Potters are.

My personal favourite is 'The Crimson Petal and the White', which is one of those rare books where a man has written about a female protagonist and has got it right!  bear_grin  (Also like 'Memoirs of a Geisha' for the same reason.)  I love the early Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles (before they went strangely religious) and things like Discworld and a few classics like 'The Great Gatsby'.

I have to say, I HATE Jane Austen bear_tongue  Had to read 'Emma' and 'Pride and Prejudice' for my A Levels and I couldn't even read Emma I hated her so much...  and it doesn't really say much for the books that I got near full marks on the exams and hadn't read one of them!

Jenny- try The Crimson Petal... it's a similar basis to Memoirs (about a 19th C prostitute called Sugar and her rise through society via a wealthy man).  I think you'd like it, as i can't put Memoirs down either: in fact it's next to me right now!

Lol, back to the revision...

Looks like it'll be 'Evolution: a Biological and Palaentological Approach' for a while...

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I agree that it's an 'honest' book but just wasn't that impressed with his writting. Found the Potter series much better written and just as 'honest' since there were deaths and even homosexuality (although she outted the Professor after the series was finished).

Marion

Board footer