Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

DebbieD Posts: 3,540
Tami E wrote:
DebbieD wrote:

And of course, if I'm feeling blue, or just need a pick me up, always a Paddington Bear book to save the day   !!

I still adore Paddington too. I think I should get those books on CD. What better listening material for bear making time!

bear_shocked  I'd no idea Paddington was on CD!  What a brilliant idea!!!  :clap:   And you're right Tami, perfect for bear making  bear_wub  :dance:

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website
MerBear wrote:

I agree that it's an 'honest' book but just wasn't that impressed with his writting. Found the Potter series much better written and just as 'honest' since there were deaths and even homosexuality (although she outted the Professor after the series was finished).

Marion

And we all know that was just to keep certain people happy too!  bear_tongue   I didn't like the way that JK did the whole 'teenager' thing, or the excessive use of the word 'snogging' bear_tongue  But I found the story lines easier to follow, and the writing style less simple than hers: each to his own of course! I've read both series MANY (too many) times and each has its place for me... guess I'm still a little bitter about one of the deaths in HP though! (And the terrible epilogue of course)

I've never read Paddington, but I did like the old 'Jolly Tall' books when I was little. I wonder why they died out? I found a 'Mog the Cat' book a while back called 'Goodbye Mog' in which Mog DIES!  It was horrifying!

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website
Gantaeno wrote:

I found a 'Mog the Cat' book a while back called 'Goodbye Mog' in which Mog DIES!  It was horrifying!

What???????????  bear_shocked  Mog died?????????  bear_sad  Mog was one of my favourites as a child!!!!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Yep Samantha... it was like 'And then Mog fell asleep for a long long time, and climbed the sky' *picture of Mog rising as an angel*

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodbye-Mog-Jud … 0007149689

bear_sad  bear_cry  bear_sad

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I love books, have so many I should open a library hehe.  I love fantasy of course, LOTR, Terry Brooks etc also the classics...anything that isn't of this time and can make me forget, liking Lawhead at the moment.  I love picture books and childrens books like winnie the pooh, wind in the willows.

Ellen..guess what, I have the whole set of agatha christie too lol  freakier and freakier lol

Debbie, I used to love horsey books as a teenager, remember Trixie Belden, and the Gypsy series, what fun!!

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

I mainly read horror/gothic horror books.
My favourite authors are H. P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe, Anne Rice and James Herbert.

After seeing the films though, I want to read Lord of the Rings.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:clap: Not having a lot of time to read, but when I do I love the Prey books by John Sanford, there are at least 15 different ones. Then if I want sappy, I read books by Danielle Steel. I do listen to audio CD's in the car, it makes my travel to work less stressful.  I do watch a lot of Food network on TV .  Other than that its bears, bears, bears, and more bears, books, magazines, etx.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Historical fiction and mysteries are my favorites.

I like the Jack Cavanaugh series about the Morgan family.  The first book starts out with the Puritans coming to America to escape religious persecution in England and the series takes you through the generations up to the Viet Nam war era.  I think there are 8 books. 

Then there are the Patricia Cornwell books about a forensic pathologist and the Sue Grafton books about a female PI.  Like those too.  I also just finished John Grisham's latest book.  Like his too.

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Although I LOVE Jane Austen and Dickens , Wilkie Collins and Thomas Hardy I must make honourable mentions
for 2 more favourite books ; "To Kill a Mocking Bird" ( I missed "hearing" the characters for days after I finished it )
and "Gone With the Wind" - a truly awe inspiring book on so many levels  bear_smile I've read it 3 times , and I know     
I will read it ( and cry in the same places  bear_tongue ) many more times !!!! EPIC !  :clap:
I adore reading  bear_thumb  Ruth

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

Yes , I forgot about the Patricia Cornwell books Patty, I have read all of hers also, very good read.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I have just discovered Patricia Cornwell and I can't put them down, I have read Kathy Riechs which I enjoy also.

bearsofbath Bears Of Bath
Bath, UK
Website
Gantaeno wrote:

I have to say, I HATE Jane Austen bear_tongue  Had to read 'Emma' and 'Pride and Prejudice' for my A Levels and I couldn't even read Emma I hated her so much...  and it doesn't really say much for the books that I got near full marks on the exams and hadn't read one of them!

bear_grin  bear_grin Cloe, I can sympathise with you totaly, I too had to study 'Emma' for my A-Levels and had to endure months of study and crit.  I think if you are forced to read certain books then you automatically have a dislike for them.  We were all forced to read Chaucer as well....never again, they took us off it in the end and put us onto Shakespeare's Macbeth!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh Ruth, I love Wilkie Collins too, the moonstone and the woman in white, loved those books.

Patricia Cornwall, i'm a big woose and found them too greusome for me...and, being a person who reads those innocent Austen books, I'll never be used to the swearing haha  :redface:  bear_rolleyes

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Jonathon Kellerman is another author that all those who like Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs would likely like - I've read them all!   Minette Walters - another great mystery suspense writer.
For those who like things a bit gentler (and no swearing for sure!) try Alexander MCall Smith's "Number One Ladies Detective Agency" series - what a great read, so well written and kind of old fashioned good living advice - takes place in Botswana.

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_wub I love reading and I always find a little time each day for burying myself into a book and I can never go to sleep at night without having a read, no matter how tired I am. My favourite reads are murder/mysteries, fantasies, dramas. Lots of favourite authors.
I must be a big woose too as I have read some of Patricia Cornwall books and didn't really like all the gory details  bear_wacko Though I do like reading Kathy Reich bear_rolleyes  Will give Alexander Mcall Smith a try.

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

I too love to reread books.  I have been reading a lot of Steve Alten's books.  His Meg series (prehistoric Shark books.) there are 3  so far, and I just reread all of them as a 4th is due out this spring or summer.  I can't wait!  I do like his other books to.  I really liked Michael Crighton's "Next", really well written.  I can get into a good true crime book too.  A book that really surprised me was "Year of the Dog".  I will read that one again.  My problem is I hate to finish a book.  No matter how good it is, I feel sad when I don't have it to pick up and keep me company.  Now that sounds crazy!  I have enjoyed for many years Robert Heinlein books.  A few were a bit strange, but all in all he was so ahead of his time.  I read everyday, even if it's just a quilt magazine, or a knitting book.  One time I took some books to a resale book store and the owners told me everyone reads the same books and only took a few of what I brought in.  No problem, I love my books and there's always a stack of them waiting for me.

Karen

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton
edie wrote:

For those who like things a bit gentler (and no swearing for sure!) try Alexander MCall Smith's "Number One Ladies Detective Agency" series - what a great read, so well written and kind of old fashioned good living advice - takes place in Botswana.

Oh Yeah....LOVE bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  that series! It is a fab series to listen to on CD - the ones we have are read by a woman with a fabulous African accent (sorry don't know where she's from exactly). My sister lived in Zimbabwe & Malawi for several years and says they take her back to Africa!

Cheryl bear_flower

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I also love reading, always have. Now that I'm always sitting on the couch breastfeeding I have been able to catch up on some reading. You can only see so many court shows.............LOL

I'm a big fantasy reader. I hate where there is only one book to read. If I like the story I want many books average around 10 in a series. I've missed out on the whole Harry Potter thing though. Seems like a kid story and I'm wondering if all the adults that read it, would also like to read more mature fantasy novels.

My favorite series right now (just waiting for the last and final book ) has been the sword of truth by Terry Goodkind. Some of has been kind of annoying but the story is so original and intersting albeit a little twisted at times. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like there aren't too many fantasy readers here though

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website
bearsofbath wrote:
Gantaeno wrote:

I have to say, I HATE Jane Austen bear_tongue  Had to read 'Emma' and 'Pride and Prejudice' for my A Levels and I couldn't even read Emma I hated her so much...  and it doesn't really say much for the books that I got near full marks on the exams and hadn't read one of them!

bear_grin  bear_grin Cloe, I can sympathise with you totaly, I too had to study 'Emma' for my A-Levels and had to endure months of study and crit.  I think if you are forced to read certain books then you automatically have a dislike for them.  We were all forced to read Chaucer as well....never again, they took us off it in the end and put us onto Shakespeare's Macbeth!

Ah, I can still remember it now... 'Mrs Elton, in all her apparatus of happiness'... honestly, she was the only fun bit in the whole thing!  Thankfully we had no Chaucer, just Hamlet (yey!) Emma (boo) Translations (mini-boo) Larkin (yey!) Othello (mini-boo and a shudder) and Pride and Prejudice (worth it for the BBC Colin Firth adaptation bear_tongue)  I miss English... Almost wish I'd picked it for my degree instead of Zoology!

I went to see the Northern Lights a few nights ago... and I was a bit disappointed bear_sad They did somethings really well, but her reading the aleithiometer was weird, and they completely wrecked the ending and left far too few of the details out... still, it could have been worse!

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

i would read a cereal box if nothing else was available!  Fantasy is my favorite! Anne Mcaffrey is my favorite author! I enjoyed the golden compass series and adored Harry Potter! read lots of different kinds of books and im an addict about magazines! the more dragons and wizards and witches the better,,,as far as Horror..NOT my fav genre butg if i have to read it Anne Rice is amazing! i agree she is stangely religious and i could havetold you she lost a child without knowing that..just from the theme in the books! beaiutiful and horrifying images at the same time! deb

Board footer