Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have designed a teeny tiny pattern..it more than likely won't be any good but nevertheless I feel like giving it a go anyway even if it never sees light of day.

I have searched and searched on-line in the UK and just can't find any nice mini fabrics anywhere. I ended up getting it from Sassy...which is not a problem because their fabric is lovely as I have had it before...but any ideas where in the UK stocks a nice selection of dense very short mohair that doesn't look like 6 o'clock stubble..and nice soft looking synthetics other than the usual cashmere..

I am not thinking teeny weeny here...just 4-5 inches teeny......so maybe 3 or 4 mm pile? It's not a problem to buy it overseas but I thought if it was in the UK and they go to fairs I could look before I buy at some point...

Kilde Posts: 186

Hi Jenny,

I found a UK-company that has mohair for mini's: http://www.bearcountryuk.com/index.php/ … r%20Fabric - I haven't ordered from them so I don't know about quality, customer service etc.

I just ordered some of the most beautiful synthetics I have seen from The Faux Throw Company (http://www.fauxthrow.com/) - they send out swatches for free and their customer service is great! Their website can only handle 1 meter cuts but if you call them (ask for Pat), you can buy smaller pieces. They have moleskin fabric for mini's and it is so soft and wonderful (no stretch either) - and they also have faux suede that feels and looks exactly like the real thing....but its not so hard to sew as real suede.

Can't wait to see your minis  bear_wub

warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Tina..Thanks....I did see that one at Bear Country..it isn't a very good picture..and I am looking for a very short pile but that looks to me like cashmere...I might email them.

I know Pat at the Throw Company, I have been buying from them for over a year now..you are quite right she does have some great fabrics..and is a lovely lady too..in fact my avatar bear is made from one of her fabrics!!! She does have some nice ones ..but the moleskin is too long..and I am sure the others are too short that she does.
Thanks though, Tina..it really is an area that seems to be lacking in the UK...I suspect most mini artists buy overseas.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Have you tried Admiral bears Jenny.I think if you look on Nettys website there isn't that much on there but she does take a lot to fairs and if you order her free little booklet there are american long pile fabrics in there and she also does schulte synthetics too.The american long pile fabrics are £8.50 for 9x9 inch square.Jacqyln bears also stock schulte.Sometimes it is hard to find what you want because places don't seem to have everything you need and the only places to have a large selection are those from overseas.
Laurie :hug:

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

Hi Jenny,
I was going to say Admiral too also when you do Hugglets the Tedi Bach stand always has some unusual fabrics,they were on your right in September.
Threadteds in the Netherlands also has some nice fabrics and she comes to the show too.
hugs,
Louise xx

warwickshire uk
Website

Thanks Louise and Laurie...I'll give them a try...!!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Jenny,  I got a mixed sample set from the faux throw people and it included a synthetic short pile (like... 2-3mm?) with an almost distressed swirly finish? Hard to explain... I think it was called Verboa bear_original

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

Hi Jenny,

You can get Sassy fabrics in the UK now too. http://emmarybears.com/  bear_original

Regards

Lisa

warwickshire uk
Website

Damn!! Lisa..I never knew..oh, well.... next time!! I have ordered some from Admiral...

Chloe, I have had the verboa from the Throw Co. ..it is nice but it's stretchy..if it's the one I remember..i used it for ear linings for rabbits!

Thanks for all this input girls..it's helped me no end!

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Mostly the "other" supplier I use for mini fabrics is Dinky-Do supplies . I know Vanessa will be at the TBAE in June (with the Teddy Bach Hug stand)
and they do take supplies to some other fairs . You can get a catalogue , but I don't think there's an online store ....
I hope you'll show us how your little-y turns out ; sure it will be fab Jenny !  bear_smile

Festive Hugs , Ruth

warwickshire uk
Website

Well..I have just about finished ..I did him out of cashmere in the end as I was itching to do the pattern..to see if it worked..and it did!! It does need tweeking...the upper end of the leg needs to be wider and bent more..and similarly the arm. I am a random shape drawer of patterns and just tend to suck it and see, if it works fine..if it doesn't,  so what...!!But I learned loads..and what works on a big-y doesn't necessarily on a little-y..and that a millimetre makes a huge difference where it doesn't on a full sized bear. I have made some mistakes but he has a nice, characteristic head shape and I like his paws...so ..watch this space!!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Hurry up and finish him Jenny-I can't wait to see a mini 3 o'clock bear bear_original
I have gone as small as 7 inch  and would like to get to about 5 inches as the smallest.It is quite hard to get a good character in something that small.I have just got to finish about 8 bears that I am working on and my next try on a smaller bear will be in the next 6 that I have planned already.I wish I could sew a bit faster bear_laugh
Laurie :hug:

warwickshire uk
Website

Laurie...it really is a prototype..made from cashmere paw pad material...it's got 'potential'...I don't think any mini artists will be impressed..I don't think I am in danger of stitching a masterpiece!!!! It's not a true mini..it's 4 inches!!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hiya! Never mind all the excuses  bear_tongue

WE WANT TO SEE IT!!!!!

Sounds brill.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

where in the UK stocks a nice selection of dense very short mohair that doesn't look like 6 o'clock stubble.

...nice mini mohairs that aren't stubble are hard to find anywhere much to my frustration, though if you are concentrating on bears around the 4" mark as there are still some reasonably nice medium density pile furs at that length.  I'll look through my samples and see if I can find the order numbers.  I'm sure your UK suppliers will probably carry some of them.  In my post flood packing up of the house, I'm about to go through my mohair box and ditch all the scraps - I can pop some in an envelope for you so you can take samples to the suppliers if you'd like.  Is the mohair below similar to what you're thinking of?  This bear is 4"

keifer1.jpg

and ahem..jenny I am sure your mini is far better than you're imagining it to be.  I can't wait to see pictures as you develop your skills!

warwickshire uk
Website

Melissa..that beautiful bear is stunning!! I have ordered some fabric and am itching to get on with it but it's not been delivered and I am really annoyed as i have a spare few hours today and had planned to make a 'real' mini..not just a prototype.
Thanks for your kind offer Melissa....I think it's too much of a bother for you to do that...and I do have an order coming any day now!! I'll keep you posted!!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Jenny, I havent read any of the other posts yet but If you look at the PUDDLEFLY in my avatar, he was made from the short pile silk plush.  the pile looks really long when made up into little ones. It is also quite dense. I LUV THIS STUFF. It is also very easy to dye. The backing is wonderful because it doesnt fray. AT ALL!!!!!!!!!! and also can be dyed a strong colour with little colour alteration of the silk fibres.
This fabric is a MUST TRY for all bear makers. the wee critter is 4 1/2 inches by the way.
Wendy
TTtutorialByronminifabric.jpg
I thought I would add a closeup of the fabric for you.

warwickshire uk
Website

WOW..  :clap: May I ask where you got it from..I had some lovely silk fabric from Lynette!

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

This silk is also what I have used for my little bear Bo on ebay now Jenny ,I have dyed it too very successfully.Threadteds and Lynette sell it .
hugs,
Louise x

warwickshire uk
Website

Thanks Louise..I just ordered some from Threadteds..only because she had some other nice fabrics there too...I have had some of Lynettes silk before and it's superb..I am gutted that the fabric I ordered from Admiral on Wednesday still hasn't arrived.....grrrrr!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Christmas post! How is your mini adventure turning out?

Karon Posts: 751

Hi,

You can buy Sassy Fabrics from Emmary Bears - very resonably priced and in some fabulous colours

Good luck

Karon

warwickshire uk
Website

I have almost finished a little panda .. It's going in the right direction but I am still working on it!!!But today I got some wonderful fabric from Sassy...I just can't wait to use it!!!!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Sorry to take so long getting back to you Jenny.
Yes I got my silks from Lynette.Maria of 'Puca bears' put me onto it. I LUV this fabric!  I am making another littly with this short pile and have dyed it the prettiest peppermint colour. I dyed it after I laid out the pattern so it would shrink without me having to alter my pattern.
It shrunk 5mm all over. (with the help of boiling water) the pile thickens as well once it has been washed so it becomes denser.
Have I told you guys that I LUV this stuff?? bear_grin  bear_grin .
Wendy

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I haven't heard about this silk fabric before, must give it a go!  bear_original

Board footer