Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Hmmmm  bear_ermm
I've been creating and selling my cats and bears since 2000. I work in my studio full-time and I guess my work is my life. Not that I don't have an outside life, it's just I'm most ALive at shows, creating designs for my collectors and talking to fellow artists and collectors. It's a wonderful life  bear_rolleyes  Usually I would have my whole year's schedule planned by January. This year I'm just not sure? I've entered 3 of my favorite shows but I'm at a lose for what to do next? Usually I would take a chance on a couple of smaller shows, but from what I've heard 2007, that can be very costly bear_wacko I love shows but I'm considering less shows and more advertising or more promotion of my website? Any thoughts from the group? What are your plans for 2008? Do we have any psychics in our group  bear_laugh
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Karen.  I understand your feelings about scheduling fewer shows this year.  I have thought long and hard and have decided to not participate in ANY shows during 2008.  I know that sounds drastic, but there is a good reason (in my situation).  I will continue to advertise in the mags and sell from my here and my website (hopefully).  My attention needs to focus on getting my life and house in order . . . SIMPLIFY!  The hubs and I are both pack rats and collectors and it's way past time to get rid of stuff . . . we can't get our cars in the garage, for instance.  When/if I get that taken care of, I will evaluate the show scene again.  Wishing you good luck in your decisions.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Well, my dear, if you don't have anything better to do you can come help me move!!  Like anyone would want to do that!  Ha!  You have no idea the amount of stuff I have to move!

I'm actually cutting out all shows and concentrating on other projects that will ultimately open the doors to a wider bear audience.  I won't miss out on my show collectors though.  They'll receive invitations to my events to keep them in the loop.
bear_original  bear_original     

Have you thought of starting a blog as another avenue of advertising?  You have to work at it, posting pictures and leaving comments on other blogs, but I have to say it's been huge for my business! 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, as I work from home and DON'T have an outside life  bear_tongue  I NEED to do shows as I NEED the people contact just to stay sane.

I participated in 4 shows in 2007.... not many....two were the ones I produce here in New England... the others I flew to attend. I had to cancel out on 2 others due to family issues. But it was interesting..... one of the ones I had my doubts about but was fantastic and people were really buying. One was new for me and I thought had a very good turn out. The other two..... lets say one is NOT worth the plane ticket ever again and the other I'll continue to do but am not sure how long it'll last!

So... depends on who you talk to and what shows you hear about.... some are definitely worth doing.... SOME of the "smaller shows" (not IDEX or EXPO) are surviving quite nicely and the newer ones (not just mine) are a refreshing change!

I'm going to go back to doing high end craft shows in 2008.... just a couple.... near home. The web and magazine ads are great but it can't hurt to educate people and gain new collectors close to home too! I think it's important to cover all bases.

And I'll be teaching more bear making workshops this year. Not just bear making either. I've got some felting classes lined up too. Still, it spreads the word about my bears and gives me the people contact.

I'm guessing each of us has to decide our schedule for 2008 based on our individual needs, limitations, desires and expectations. What works for one might not for another. That's whats so neat about having so many different options for selling our bears.

Sue Ann.... you'll be missed at shows this year!  :hug:

Aleta.... I'm so glad to hear that blogging is doing great things for your business.  bear_thumb It was sucking up my time and I'm not creative enough to make it look pretty and have exciting content so I gave up! bear_sad

nandesign Posts: 361

Hi Karen:...I am planning to really work on my new website and I do have a blog...which I have to spend a bit more creative time with...I teach a lot...which does allow me to attend shows or conventions...and be with people. I am like Daphne and spend all my time working at home. You do get a little tired of the same old drill...but I try to find creative ways to get myself out there...with minimal cost to me.

I wish you the best in 2008! You will find a solution.
Hugs, Nancy

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Looking into my crystal ball I see lots of  bear_wub  in teddytalk, artists celebrating  :bday:,competitions being won  bear_thumb  many  :hug: , plenty of  :dance:  and most of all the best medicine in life :crackup:

Lynette

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_wub Lynette you're my kind of psychic!!  :hug:

My output has always been way too small to truly consider the shows.  If anything I might look into advertising in magazines outside the teddy bear trade.   bear_flower

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website
Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

Have you thought of starting a blog as another avenue of advertising?  You have to work at it, posting pictures and leaving comments on other blogs, but I have to say it's been huge for my business! 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Interesting topic - tonight I was just planning what shows and workshops I should do for this year.  Last year due to work and renovations I cut down totally on shows and teaching.  I did teach at the Sydney Bear Fair and trade at the show.  I also traded at the biggest craft show here in Brisbane- my home city but that was it.  From the late nineties until 2006  I taught weekly and attended about 6-8 shows annually.  I really felt totally left out of the what was happening here in Australia.   

I do like the idea of blogs. A few of my friends who design patchwork quilts etc have weblogs and they use them very successfully to keep in contact with their client base.   They use them as very good marketing tools by letting people know what they are making and giving previews of new patterns and designs they are working on.

I have just realised how easy it is to update my blog as I have just updated to word 2007.  It is very simple. I will take on Aleta's advice about leaving comments on other blogs and to  work on my blog for 2008!

Good luck with you decision Karen and I agree I like the Lynette's psychic.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I have four shows planned this year at present.  I never do many, having ruthlessly cut the wheat from the chaff several years ago.  I have found it has definitely been worthwhile concentrating my efforts in other directions, rather than slogging away at certain shows simply for old time's sake. 

In terms of shows last year, I thoroughly enjoyed taking a new direction by participating in a couple of onliners to bolster my two regular London shows.  Both the online shows and the 'reality' shows proved very successful for me.  Aside from these shows, if anything new and exciting show wise looms on my horizon, all being practical, I would certainly consider extending myself into fresh territory in the next year, but I don't want to take part in 'same old, same old', formats. 

The four shows currently featuring on my calendar work well for me as they are spread evenly throughout the year, which means I can plan and project financially without too much trouble, so I'll stick with them and continue to work hard to promote my involvement, because I really believe that's key to having a successful show. 

I plan to continue selling direct through my website as that is really productive for me.  I've worked on developing the website over past months, keeping it up-to-date and introducing new bears regularly.  Also, I now incorporate my blog within it, which seems to work really well for two reasons ... it keeps collectors informed and interested in my activites on a very immediate, accessible and friendly level and it helps me to feel less isolated while I work from home!  It also fulfills my urge to write regularly, without making too many demands on me and above all, it's fun!  A big thumbs up for Blog Land from me! bear_thumb 

Shops?  Hmmn, not too wild about shops to be honest.  Too much work for too little return in my experience.  Will probably continue to keep a low profile in terms of retail outlets and instead, work harder on promoting my designs myself. 

In terms of promotion, I will have another stab at a couple of competitions ... this is not just a glory hunt as far as I'm concerned, I also think it's important for us all to take part in terms of keeping the industry fresh and forward looking.  Speaking of which, I am also keen to think about taking a few twists and turns to keep my work interesting, whilst retaining the 'All Bear' identity; this will involve pushing myself into previously untried areas.  I think the TT challenges are a great source of inspiration for all levels and areas of bear making, so when it's practical for me, I will try to work them into my schedule.

And finally, advertising!  Groan!  It's sooooo expensive!  Yet, without it, our mags can't survive and without them, we will struggle too.  So, yep, tiny as it is, I will be flexing my advertising budget whenever I am able.

*Scratches head*

Have I covered everything?  Hmmn.  Time to ponder some more to make sure I'm on track for 2008!

*Reaches for kettle ...*

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I've not made a bear for over a year so will be sort of starting from scratch. I've already had two enquiries because they saw me on here. I just neeed to start making first!  bear_grin I've started a blog because that seems good and I'm too lazy to do and keep up a proper website. Other than that I need to just get started then go from there.

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

Well This year for me is get out there year. I lost 2 1/2 year with my bears as work commitments and family took over. As i am now on Mat leave I can do my bears again. i am planning on go to 4 shows at the moment. 3 of which are interstate. I have applied to Uni SA to do a degree in Art. I will find out if I am in on the 16th jan. I did defer my business degree last year so if i don't get into Art i will continue with that. I doon't go back to work until feb 2009 so i am planning on building my bear business so I don't have to go back to work. That would be the best. Fingers cross for the 16th, i am getting really excited to see if I am in Art.
Good luck everyone in 2008. I feel it will be a good year for Bears.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I love shows Karen!  In fact, last year I did very well at shows and can't wait until the girls are a little older so they travel better.  Oh, and a larger car would be nice too so they're not touching each other which often leads to most of the bickering! bear_rolleyes

Anyway, I do Blog and that's helped out as well.  In fact, several of the collectors who came to the shows to meet me commented that they found me because of my Blog!  Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of work but it's worth it.  I'm also advertising this year for the first time in many moons and I'll probably do more advertising and actual website updating along the way.

I hope one of the shows you chose was Expo in DC!  Love to see you there as you were a big help to me last year!!!

Hugs,
Lisa

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Interesting topic, Karen! I've got six shows on my schedule so far. Like everyone else, I have budget issues and personal commitments that are cutting into my show schedule this year. I hope people who are attending shows will consider snapping a few pictures and writing them up for me so we can share them with collectors everywhere!

Which leads me to ask: can artists "cover" shows for each other, too? Offer to take six of someone's bears to your east coast show if they'll take six of yours to their west coast show? I know there would be a lot of trust involved, but I also know that artists tend to be more effective selling other people's work.

Everyone knows I love shows -- I don't think there's any substitute for seeing bears and their people in person. But I'm also looking forward to following some of the online shows this year; hope people will enter the contests (mine and everyone else's); and humbly suggest that you consider advertising with any of the major magazines. All of us offer ads for a couple hundred dollars -- you only need to sell one or two bears to cover the cost, and we offer audiences of thousands of people who are guaranteed to like teddy bears. Just a thought.

23 degrees here today; I'm really wishing I had a trip to Australia on my schedule! Guess I'll have to settle for Orlando at the end of the month -- and maybe Costco before then, to buy a space heater. :)

Mindy

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

MKinsey/TBF wrote:

Which leads me to ask: can artists "cover" shows for each other, too? Offer to take six of someone's bears to your east coast show if they'll take six of yours to their west coast show? I know there would be a lot of trust involved, but I also know that artists tend to be more effective selling other people's work.

That's a very interesting idea Mindy!  I remember a few years ago in Schaumburg, 2 artists who normally travel together had 2 shows scheduled on the same weekend.  So one took bears to one show, the other to the other show.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Now THIS is a definite change, it it's now allowed. I had to stop exhibiting (on a regular basis in Oct 02) though I've done a few shows in association with teaching since then.
It was absolutely verboten to have work on your table other than your own!
ABC was one of the strictest in this area.

Have the sales and/or exhibitor attendance weakened to the point that it's now a norm to 'share a table'?
Only 'clubs' from overseas were allowed to share tables, and only non-US bears on display.

I've not done one a LuAnn's shows: you've had this feature though, right?

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Thanks for all the thoughts, I guess I'm not alone :hug:
Lisa, YES! I'll be at the Washington EXPO, see you there! Love that show and, especially, the artists  bear_happy Mindy, I will be advertising, I'll talk to Kellie. Now I have to learn how to update my website in Dreamweaver instead of my Adobe GoLive since I've updated my Mac OS and I can't use Adobe  bear_wacko  I wish I could create a blog!? I am in admiration of the artists that create such creative and thoughtful blogs! They are wonderful  bear_wub My thoughts are so "out there"  bear_whistle I can't imagine being collected enough to maintain a blog. Then again, maybe that would be a good exercise for me!
Karen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Bobbie - I was going to keep my mouth shut but what the heck......... bear_tongue

All promoters are different in regards to this subject. Some, especially the old school promoters, are against booth sharing of any sort. But sharing is different than what I'd call being a representative for someone else. And yes, as times are changing and shows are presenting different challenges booth sharing is becoming acceptable. ABC for example in 2007 began selling 1/2 a table for a price a bit lower than a full table but more than you'd pay if you shared a table with someone and split the fee. That would be fine if it were 8' tables but these were 6 foot tables so it was cramped. As a promoter however this is still a way to cover costs and brings in more money than selling one table at the regular price and having 2 artists share it. BUT it is in the promoter's best interest to have a full sales floor..... makes the show seem more exciting and thus attracts more collectors. If everyone shared a table with someone else the show would only be half the size and not very impressive to collectors.

As an artist sharing a table I'd have to say that it hurts sales not to have a large selection of bears on your table (or your half). I had a 1/2 table at ABC's show and then I did a show the following weekend and had a whole table with more bears and my sales were better. So..... financially, up front, it may seem better to share a table but in the end it could hurt sales thus be less beneficial financially.

Mindy's suggestion is a great one though. I, for one, certainly wouldn't be against an artist bringing bears by another artist who doesn't normally do one of my shows and would never be able to have her bears there otherwise. Someone from the other side of the country for instance. Tough to govern that as a promoter but it can be encouraged.

Today lots of artists are trying to make inventory to sell in multiple places...... website, eBay, shops, shows..... and we can't do it all! Sending some bears to a show with an artist you trust is a great way to get exposure and sales without having to make a whole table full of bears... allowing you to still have inventory for other places.

If any of you plan to do something like this PLEASE discuss it with the promter in advance!!!!  bear_original

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Paula wrote: In terms of shows last year, I thoroughly enjoyed taking a new direction by participating in a couple of onliners to bolster my two regular London shows.  Both the online shows and the 'reality' shows proved very successful for me.

erm cough :redface: ......can i suggest you try some online shows Karen?
The great thing about them is that they keep your costs right down and there's no travelling etc etc. You do still have contact with collectors but it's via email rather than face to face and online shows often get seen by thousands of interested folk rather than a few hundred as with many 'real life' shows.
Just a suggestion - hope this is OK
Penny
:hug:

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Penny  bear_tongue What's with the red face?
I should check, again, with online shows. I did participate in the first HO HO HO show. In early shows I noticed that it was difficult to sell anything for over $300 with an online show, but that might have changed? I think it's true, online shows might become more popular since it's so expensive for customers to travel to shows and most people are watching expenses.
Karen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Bobbie you brought up a good point (and Daphne too!)  I wasn't clear... I had meant to say that both these artists each had their own table!  The promoter just made sure to position them next to eachother so one person could man both tables.  I do have to say... I have no idea how the artists did sales wise...

karenaus Melbourne
Website
MKinsey/TBF wrote:

!

23 degrees here today; I'm really wishing I had a trip to Australia on my schedule! Guess I'll have to settle for Orlando at the end of the month -- and maybe Costco before then, to buy a space heater. :)

Mindy

There was a member on an email group who used to do this at a show in London, worked fabulously well for me,  I even managed to sell some bears to the Puppenhaus Museum owner which would never have happened otherwise, sadly that opportunity came to a sorry end bear_sad
     I have often wondered about taking bears to shows for other Artist friends myself, but a couple of sticky bits come to mind- one is what if one gets stolen? Sadly this has happened to me in the past at a certain show here in OZ, I would hate that to happen to someone else's bears on my watch so to speak.
    Also, if the artist didnt have a decent selection on the table would people who might otherwise be customers miss them and therefor the artist miss sales? (and also be discouraged) People at bear shows aren't always scouring every table. There's also the issue with taking credit card payments on something, so many people like to use credit these days- the technicalities of getting payment to the other person and explaining to the accountant where that money came from and went hehe. At shows that have organiser provided credit card services I guess that wouldn't be such a problem but not many shows here have that facility.
   Oh and Mindy, you really wouldnt want to be here in Australia at the moment  bear_grin  The northeast has has horrible weather with most of the beaches closed- this being our big summer school vacation time you can imagine what a blow that would be to holidayers up there! And down here in the south and the west we are having a heatwave, days of around 100deg temperatures, oh and I think I heard there's a Cyclone forming in the north as well- though fortunately they usually stick in areas where there's not much population wise. I think you might be better going to visit New Zealand or hanging out til Orlando;)

karenaus Melbourne
Website

One of my aims for 2008 was to enter the TOBYs or Golden Teddys, but those are already down the drain lol.
    I want to get my blog going, and put more bears on my website to sell, and get things listed regularly on Ebay as well.
     I am another one who loves going to shows! bear_original  I love to catch up with all my artist friends and collectors:) I am booked to go to four shows interstate this year and will do a few shows here in Melbourne. And IDEX- the deadline for which is looming scarily large!  bear_grin
    I took part in my first online show at the end of last year and would like to try more of those as well.
      Plus I want to find time to do and try other things I am interested in trying, arty/crafty-wise, as well as new things with bears.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Karen A. - You'd want to do up a contract with the artist you represent at a show.... even if it's a friend..... stating that you aren't responsible for stollen items, how much if any commission you will take or what he/she will pay of the booth fee. As for credit card purchases. If you document it clearly your accountant shouldn't have a problem. You can easily get the artist's money for sales to her/him through PayPal. You'd also want to include in the contract who is paying for shipping the bears to you and the unsold ones back and that you are not responsible for lost packages in the post... you'd insure them anyway. I've learned that you can never be too careful about covering yourself!!

Having said that... it CAN be done and as you've experienced, can be a great opportunity!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Just a quick pointer regarding taking credit card payments for other people's work ... as far as I am aware this is frowned upon by the card companies ... it certainly is in the terms of my service agreement.  I know of someone in the UK, a bear maker of long standing and good reputation, who did this and had their merchant account withdrawn, meaning that they could no longer accept credit card payments. 

So, I would recommend checking with your own merchant company before you go ahead and offer to take payment for other artists' work at shows or elsewhere.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Online Internet bear shows and some bears shows traded in person are on my agenda for 2008.

My internet sales need a boost, I haven't had much luck there in the past, and some magazine advertising is on the agenda for 2008. So lots of work to be done to achieve this.

Entering some bear comps is also on the agenda, I have already checked the two I most wanted to enter off my wishlist,  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Two days in a row of  temperatures approx 100 are definitely not too crash hot, Mindy its way too hot here at the moment. I hate it, its so uncomfortable. There has been so much bad weather and floods around Australia as well.  bear_sad

Board footer