Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Most of you know that I live in the woods in the mountains of New England USA. And I've shared photos of the black bears that have come to visit.... perhaps a deer or two also.

Well, the bears are in hibernation right now but we still have magnificent visitors coming into our back yard!

OwlTree.jpg

Yesterday this Barred Owl spent at least 10 hours in my hemlock trees preying on red squirrels. She was obviously quite hungry as owls are nocturnal creatures and only hunt during the day if they are starving. My neighbor had this same owl in her yard the day before for a number of hours. Not sure if she's so hungry she's weak or what but she's come so close to getting a squirrel twice but ended up loosing her grip on it.

FeederClose.jpg

This owl lives in the woods behind our house.... love to hear it hoot in the warmer weather. And they fly silently through the air and have a huge wing span. They are absolutely magnificent. A bit big for the bird feeders though!

Onfeeder.jpg

Getting to see a Barred Owl so close and in the middle of the day is a rare treat and I just thought I'd share the photos with you.

Anyone want to try making a mohair version of her???

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

She is beautiful!! thanks for posting  bear_wub

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

The laws of nature - one animal having to kill another one to survive.  (hubby peering over my shoulder while showing him these pictures says you must catch some food for the owl)

Daphne it looks like you are living in a fairytale world.

Lynette

knuffelbear Claudia's Knuffelbaeren
Heinsberg

Oh you lucky one! What a beauty in your backyard!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Thanky for sharing this wonderful pictures!  :hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow, now THAT is cool. So lucky you are!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Daphne what a magnificent owl thank you for sharing, it does indeed look like a fairyland.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Wow!! What a beautiful bird.  I do envy you.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Wow Daphne,
GREAT pictures!!  Thanks for sharing bear_flower
Christine

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

gorgeious pictures Daphne! we have been seeing one late in the cloudy days near where we work..hidden in the fir trees! they are stunning birds! we used to have snow owls here a few winters back..maybe still do! i can hear them at night sometimes..deb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

She's really quite regal isnt she? You are so lucky. I would love to live in the bush but knowing my luck some b.......
would burn it down.
Your garden is picture postcard perfect Daphne. bear_thumb
OH... and Kim Russell makes owls.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Thanks for sharing.  What a beautiful site.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Daphne, she beautiful and so grand.  She looks like she posing for her photo.  How lucky you are to live in a place and see such wonderful creatures!  I get cows, skunks and the occasional raccoon.   bear_happy

Beautiful photographs!!!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Beautiful Pictures Daphne...thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs &

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm glad you all enjoyed seeing her.

Lynette.... my dad and hubs both thought someone should go to the pet store and buy her a couple of rats. I used to have a pet rat and I know its the order of things for an owl to eat them but she's going to have to find her own! bear_ermm

Matilda.... love your avatar! And thanks for the tip about Kim Russell. I just kept looking at her and thinking what an amazing challenge she'd be to make (for someone else! LOL!)... all those markings!

Ellen... I was amazed to read that our owl only weighs about 1 1/2 pounds..... so light.... I guess feathers don't weigh much. And yet I've seen them take a small cat. (We had new neighbors who didn't heed our warnings about letting the cat outside... they learned the hard way and now have a german shephard!)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Fantastic photos, Daphne!  Didn't Louise put up a photo of an owl in the Showcase forum recently - that she and Garnet had created?  It was stunning!!  A few years ago, we lost a cat ( bear_cry  bear_cry ) to what we originally thought was a coyote, but some in the neighborhood said it could well have been a horned owl . . . they are huge.  Anyhoot, your owl is terrific and you got great pictures.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:clap:  bear_wub What great pictures of the owl, I love to see the animals in the wild, we have red tailed hawks down our way and in the summer we were able to watch the mother convince two young ones to leave the nest.  They come into my yard for the pigeons since I feed the birds, but they don't bother the squirrels. thanx for the photo shoot, love it.

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Thanks for sharing, what a treat! Great photos too. bear_thumb She's beautiful and I hope she catches something to eat soon.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Your backyard looks so pretty, and the owl is impressive looking.   bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daph, she's GORGEOUS.  I love owls; they're so majestic.  A rare treat indeed.  Thanks for sharing your pics.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Absolutely beautiful Daphne... thanks so much for sharing!   bear_wub

Kim Basta

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Daphne, what a beautiful guest you had, and what a beautiful bunch of trees you have for him to land in.
Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,

AndreaM bear_original

Board footer