Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Deb Upstate New York

nose-2.jpgnose-1.jpgJill ~ I couldn't get these posted in Bears for Sale where you asked the question, bear_ermm so I'll repeat here and add pics.  The piece of foam I used just for this example was approximately 1-1/4" x 1".  I just cut into each side, then folded over, glued sides down, trimmed and shaped, fit onto end of nose with some polyfil behind.  Pinned down, took a couple stitches to anchor, and embroidered over ... just twice for huge looking nose.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That is cool. Thanks for the pics. And I agree, very nice hands.
I'm such a tomboy that my nails are always short as can be. Easier to sculpt with clay anyway.........
Thanks again
Heather

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Great technique, Deb, and very nice of you to share it!  :hug:

I agree. Beautiful nails.  bear_flower If mine grow beyond a few mm I manage to knock them into snags on something or other.  :(

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

well you wont let us see  a pic of you but now we know what your nails look like so there! LOL  - I too have tomboy nails!  I work in an office typing and filing and such, so any nails that I grow soon break!  ah well! I cant type with artificial nails anywayz

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you ... just got them done!  Every two weeks.  No other vices ... uh ... except the mohair /bear thing.  No cigs, no dope, no booze, don't go out much, not a clothes horse ... what the heck!   bear_happy  I go to this little place where they all speak (and are) Vietnamese and are absolutely great at their craft.  I'm trying to pick up a few words.  Anyone speak the language?  They speak American also, but I would love to make an effort.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use to get my nails done but was uncomfortable with not knowing what they were saying to eachother...

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Deb -  Thanks so much for the pictures.  I agree with everyone else, your nails look great.  Mine seem to always be in the disaster state.  I am going to try the foam nose - you make it look so easy.

Jill

Deb Upstate New York

GO for it.  I thought it worked well.  I had to improvise because I didn't like the way the bear's nose was shaped, and didn't want to embroider 45 times to give it the height it needed!  This was the first time I did it.  Just play around with it.  That stuff I bought is acid free, so I figured should be safe (like for scrapbooking).

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

Deb,

You have been so kind to disclose how you did your nose.  May I ask what material you used for the eyelids?  They are terrific!

Kim T

Deb Upstate New York

Kim ~  Thank you!  I used leather cording, 2mm on top, 1mm on bottom.  Actually, I found it difficult to get the look I wanted.  I learned everything I know about eyelids to date from the post below!  :lol:

Shelli ~ In a thread called Eye painting??, you have some closeups of eyes and lids.  The topic is really about painting the eyes, but can you give me some pointers on getting a more non-flat look?  :rose:

Shelli wrote:

Yes, you can buy it.  Very simple!  Often I find mine in tiny rolls, in cello-packs, in the jewelry section at fabric stores or craft stores (JoAnne's, Hancock, Michael's.)  It's almost always available in black; sometimes, ONLY in black.  You can use real or fake leather cording, square or round; I use real, just in case anyone is interested to know, and I use round.  And I use both the 1mm and 2mm sizes.

The somewhat more interesting, NOT black cording needs a bit more detective work to find.  Occasionally JoAnne's or Hancock's will have something in a beige or brown color.  I grab it at Britex in San Francisco when I'm down that way; they do not have web ordering last time I looked.

You probably need about a total of 3 inches of cording, per eye, per bear (so --  six inches of cording per bear in a 15"-ish size.)  That's waaayyyyyyyyyyyy longer than the actual finished lid will be in length, but you need some extra for "play" and insertion into the head.  That is, if you use a method similar to mine.  There are many ways to slice this loaf of bread, so to speak. 

You can probalby see that, in using such a very small amount, a yard or so of cording can last a long time.  Having said that, I buy it by the mile, just about.  I know I'll use it; it never "wears out;" and it's easy to store.

Hope this helps!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Deb  :hug:

That's a great idea, using different-sized cord on uppers and lowers. Thanks!  :rose:

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Deb wrote:

can you give me some pointers on getting a more non-flat look?

I'd be happy to, but I don't entirely understand what you're asking.  Can you be more specific, or post some photos, so I know how to reply?  Thanks!

Deb Upstate New York

If you look at the eyelids on the giant pictures you posted on the Eye painting?? thread, they look ... kind varigated ... light with flashes of darker colors, etc.  How'd ya do that? (Put on, smudge off routine?)  I just couldn't get any "layers" on my (leather) lids.  Haven't tried the elastic cord, which I guess could be easier to give a layered look to.

I'll keep tryin'!  I finally did get a little of the look i wanted when I switched to my stencil cremes.  Probably trial and error.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ahhh.

Easy.

1.)  Apply acrylic
2.)  Use Q-tip to smudge off in places
3.)  Re-apply and smudge, until you get what you're after.

Et voila!

PS  Yes, those are all leather cording.

Deb Upstate New York

Well cool ... I was at least on the right track.  Just didn't take far enough.  Thank you Shelli! 

a010.gif

Board footer