Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Densteds Densteds
Website

Vitamin D  bear_grin

Hi everyone,

This is just a bit of interesting health advice that most people would not even know about.....
My husband went to pick up a prescription for his oesteoporis medication, (yes men do get it too) He only has slight signs of it but the doc said the medication stops it from progressing...which it has..

Anyway he also said when he has a blood test next time he'll get his vitamin D levels checked ...apparently with everyone using blockout sunscreen people are becoming deficient in it, kids are starting to turn up with rickets because they are not going out to play in the sun or are completely covering up and lathering themselves in sunscreen, and it not only helps prevent most bone disease, but if you don't get enough of it your risk of all types of cancer escalates dramatically, especially breast, prostate & colon...and amazingly even skin cancer, more office workers are getting melanomas than outside workers..............lack of it is also one of the causes of alzheimers, they are saying elderly people in nursing homes etc should spend some time in the sun each day, and and I've known for a long time of it's effect with regard to heart disease...so it's really important to get some sun (with no sunscreen) on exposed limbs & head each day and it's interesting when you read these articles (links below) that some of it comes in through your eyes and not to always wear sunglasses....don't let yourself get sunburned go out in early morning or later afternoon for at least 30 minutes each day, it might save your life, who'd have thought...

Have a read, it's really interesting...

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s805444.htm

http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james4.htm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hiya, Denise.  My husband has osteoporosis, also, but it's more advanced because he has taken thyroid medication (which leaches the bones of calcium) for nearly 40 years.  He now takes Fosamax plus a calcium supplement with added vitamin D.  I've read some of the reports that say most of us aren't getting enough D, but I've had malignant melanoma and am reluctant to get too much sun.  So, I boost my level with calcium + D supplements, also.  Probably not as good as getting it naturally from the sun, but I'm too skittish about another recurrence of the melanoma.  You bring up a good reminder for us all . . . to be aware of what deficiencies can do to the detriment of our health.  Thanks bunches for sharing.

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Actually, living in a more northern part of Canada, our daylight hours are reduced in the winter to the point that vitamin D deficiency can become a problem. I didn't realize that until my Doctor mentioned it last year. My son also suffers from Psoriasis and some sun exposure keeps that in check.
I guess its all about balance...
Cheryl bear_flower

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

That's very interesting Denise.  I sit out in the sun about 15mins a day, and let my boy run around in the sun for a little bit each day too so he gets his vitamin D, I've always thought it was important.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Like Sue Ann, I've had skin cancer too.  I'm careful about being in the sun and do as Denise suggests, early morning or early evening hours outside.  I don't like the way most sunscreens feel so unless I know I'll be out for an extended period I don't wear them.  I've always enjoyed being in the sun.  I like the way it makes me feel!  That in itself has huge health benefits!

It just goes to show you......everything in moderation!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I also have had skin cancer, just the mildest type but it was enough to scare me so I try to stay out of the sun at the hottest part of the day - or carry an umbrella as well as wearing sunscreen. Living in Canada we have to take vitamin D supplements to get enough in the winter so I just take some all year and more in the winter.

My son also suffers from Psoriasis and some sun exposure keeps that in check.

Cheryl, I've found the best thing for psoriasis is take flax oil - haven't had a bout since I started taking it!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Hello Dee
thats very interesting to know ,i had a look at the link and sent it on to judy as we are all trying to keep  Healthy and  little bits of info all helps .
Fran  :photo:  :dance:

katiescraftworks katiescraftworks

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

They are now linking lack of vitamin D with MS.  I have MS and I have always hated sunlight. I have never had a suntan in my life and I am happiest indoors and I have MS, so, it is an interesting thought.

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseact … pageid=185

Bear hugs,
Cathie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Thanks for posting this Denise. It has lead other to giving advise too which has also be great. My daughter Sarah has been taking thyroid medication for fifteen years and she is only twenty five now, thanks to Sue Ann's input I'll make sure that Sarah takes a upplement with added vitamin D. One of my sons doesn't get much sunlight so I'll point this out to him too. Thanks.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Thanks for sharing this Denise - I also heard a report the other day on the same subject.

You do feel so much better when you can sit out in the sunshine but stay out the hottest parts of the day and do not overdo it.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Jane (doodlebears) _ I also have been on Thyroid for 15 years, I think what Sue Ann was saying is that he takes the extra calcium (not the D persay) because of the thyroid. Hopefully your Daughter's Docs have told her not to take her Thyroid meds with dairy or calcium pills, because the thyroid binds with the calcium and neither is absorbed that way... When I started my pills years and years ago, that wasn't a warning on the pills, but now it is...

Its interesting that when we are given Health tips one year, we find out the next year that there was an adverse effect... LOL

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Denise, for showing up thank important info with us  :hug:  :hug:

lulubears Posts: 280

I work with my hubby doing outside construction during the summer and spend 10 hours a day in the sweltering hot Texas sun!  I'm fair skinned, and no matter how much sunscreen I put on (and I use a lot of it), I'm usually as brown as a bean by the end of the first day.  I'm very conscious of using sunscreen, but when it's over 100 degrees, every time you wipe your face or arms, the sunscreen is gone.  Luckily, I've had no problems yet, but my husband has had several lesions removed.  Not sure if there's a real answer for those in our situation.

We were at the Grand Canyon on Friday and the temperature was about 19 degrees.  (It was 3 degrees Saturday morning.)  Anyway...guess who got a tanned face?  I guess the combination of sun and the reflection off the snow was what did it this time.

Luann

Board footer