Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

No arrows from me, Bobbie.  bear_rolleyes I have wondered about that too...
Of course, I'm barely organized enough to get entries in for the two USA magazine contest let alone all the international ones! bear_wacko

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I have to agree with you as well Bobbie.  I haven't entered the BBAA's for a good few years, but I think they still lump overseas entries into one category no matter what your preferred style, size etc is ... I can imagine is it very frustrating for overseas entrants. 

Having said that, can I plug the UK Teddy Bear Scene 'Readers Choice Awards?'  This is a photographic entry competition nowadays ...

I entered for the first time this year and although the categories aren't particularly broad in terms of allocating different categories for a range of sizes and techniques, they do welcome everyone, no matter where you reside, so long as you either have a subscription to the magazine, or purchase the mags containing competition 'tokens' when they are issued.

The other food for thought with this comp is that as well as the panel judging each category and declaring category nominees, the editor also selects her favourite entry for each category and these bears also win awards at the conclusion of the competition.  The Editor's Choice awards aren't necessarily selected from the nominees, they are selected from all the entries, whether they have achieved nomination or not.  One that stands out in my mind this year, was Samantha Potter's beautiful bear entered in the 'bare bears' category ... for some strange reason he wasn't nominated in the category, but he did win the Editor's Choice Award (quite right too!) bear_thumb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Oh that is excellent input Paula! (And I appreciate not having to duck anything coming from the Ohio area Tami!!)

We've spoken of this before and as it's the beginning of a new year, now would the best time to implement something, for which  I have a few questions first:

** How does a 'Category' attain a place in the Library? Is it by number of times it's discussed? By request? I'd like to know.

And Secondly, as tI see that there is no category of Comps in the Library listings drop-list, how would that get its own 'page/topic/list'?

As we each learn of the deadlines for these international comps, it would be GREAT to have ONE spot to go to to post them and to find out the deadlines, as well as the contact info (urls/entry downloads, etc)

Pretty Please? with Sugar on top???

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Bobbie . . . take another look.  As you scroll down, there is a "contests/competitions" category.

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website
All Bear wrote:

One that stands out in my mind this year, was Samantha Potter's beautiful bear entered in the 'bare bears' category ... for some strange reason he wasn't nominated in the category, but he did win the Editor's Choice Award (quite right too!) :thumbsup:

:redface:  :redface:  :redface:  You're too kind Paula!!  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:

I will agree with recommending the Readers' Choice Awards though.  I think they're great!!  You get your picture in the magazine if you're nominated, and then readers get a chance to vote.  Doesn't really cost you anything to enter, but there is a £100 prize for each category!!  Well worth entering in my view!!

I also have to agree with your earlier comments Paula, about what an honour it is to be one of the few Brits to be nominated for the TOBYs.  I think there are just two of us this year? (please someone correct me if I am wrong!). Such an honour!! bear_happy

puca bears puca bears

ME...ME (waving British passport!) I just happen to live in Germany, and most definitely feel, and am regarded as, an Auslander!  I just seem to achieve honorary German status when it comes to competitions.
And for those of you who don't know, the Golden George and Ted Worldwide competitions are  open to all, in every category. They make things a little more difficult then the TOBYs, in that nominated entries have to be sent in, but then you get to participate in the Public Choice Award.
huggies
Maria

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Ah Maria, I thought you were German too!  bear_shocked   How lovely to have you waving your British passport along with us! bear_flower

On the subject of the Golden George and Ted Worldwide competitions, I seem to remember one or both don't accept credit card payments?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I must admit, I find it so much easier to make foreign currency payments by card and am easily put off entering if I can't.  I'm also reluctant to send my big bears around the world for competitions, because it is just so expensive.

puca bears puca bears

Hi Paula
first...Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you have a great day
Yep - I'm London born and bred, but I left England after uni - Australia first, where i worked as a geologist (!)......now I'm what is known as a "trailing spouse", himself working in jobs that require a native English speaker - and me. struggling with life in yet another language - we've lived in Holland, Belgium and France, and now Germany.
The most amusing aspect of this are the mails from collectors, who eventually get round to the "gosh, your English is GOOD"!
ok - I just looked at the entry form for this year's Ted Worldwide, and it still says bank transfer, cheque or cash in a registered envelope (payments here tend to be  mostly by bank transfers) -  I'm pretty sure the Golden George does accept credit card payments - I'm just about to pay for my table at the Teddybar Total, by credit card. They send accounts out and include a card to fill in with the card details which you then post off to them.
As for sending in the bears - yes - it can get expensive - and I dread to think how much it would cost to post a Golden George trophy out to a winner - they are HEAVY! But you'd probably be able to do a "pretty please" to Barbara-Ann, who is always at both shows, or Gregory G , who always comes to the Teddybar total - and I'm sure there are plenty of other english artists coming over here........ of course, you could come too?????????????
big huggies
Maria

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website
puca bears wrote:

ME...ME (waving British passport!) I just happen to live in Germany, and most definitely feel, and am regarded as, an Auslander!

Awwww...sorry Maria - I certainly didn't mean to miss you out!!!!   :hug:

puca bears puca bears

Hey - no worries, Samantha!
huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Hi,

This is Penney. and I thought I would add my two cents!!!!! (just a small pun)

I'm English too.    Although I live here in the US.
Last year was my first year of competing.. I entered into the BBAA and got nominated, the Ted Worldwide and the Ursa Awards and got nominated So it  is possible to enter and be successful in the competitions outside of the US.

AS for the Ted Worldwide competition, I was lucky to have Euros around and I was able to submit that with my application.  But a credit card or paypal would make it far easier.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Congrats to everyone!!!!   :clap:  :clap:  :dance:  :dance:

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I guess I'm way behind the curve here, but I just joined TT this weekend and I've got a coupla TOBY IC's this year too, so I thought I'd share them.  I entered via email at the very last minute, and you could've knocked me over with a feather when Mindy called.  I was particularly pleased because my 2 winners were so radically different in size and complexity.

don_q_010_web.jpg
in the vignette category, 'Don Quixote & Company, 60" tall, both bears are fully articulated with pose-able jointed arms and fingers, ball-joint necks, leather pawpads, noses and eyelids.  the don is 36" tall, Sancho is 28",   The don's helmet is made from a 50's hammered aluminum ice bucket & a pot lid, the shield is an old serving tray (the tray handles are used as stirrups). his padded leather doublet has hammered ashtrays for shoulder bosses.  Rosinante is 50" long, and is an unjointed soft-sculpture over a rebar frame with leather hooves, taxidermy eyes and tibetian lamb mane & tail.  all saddlery is leather with Scalamandre gimp, although the fildigree on her chest is made from an antique casserole holder.

if you'd like to see more of this vignette, there is a slideshow at my website with 36 pictures, including many closeups

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Congratulations, Kelly, and a big welcome to Teddy Talk!  We're really glad to have you on board!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  Is that a recent photo of you under your avatar?  You surely have changed since I saw you last.  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

Lewis_1_sm.jpg   
in the small bear undressed category - Edwin, 7" tall and made out of antique mohair with leather nose, paws & eyelids.  the stains and distressing of the mohair is intrinsic to the fabric
Lewis_3_sm.jpg

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Kelly congratulaions, I have admired your work for so very long. I always chat with you when you visit the Hugglets show in London and love every piece of all you creations. You are a very tallented artist, one of my favourites...welcome to Teddy Talk, I look forwards to getting to know you better.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Your TOBY IC awards are stunning . . . very creative!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

thanks, ladies!  (and Jane, I remember you well, although I don't think you ever told me you were that good!   :clap:  nice work!)

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

I'm chiming a bit late here but still, sincere and hearty congratulations to all the winners! Well done!! :clap:  :clap:

Board footer