Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

ClarenceTT.jpgClarenceheadbears.jpgFor the first time in quite a few years, I will be exhibiting at the 'British Bear Fair' on the 11th December 2005.  Just in time for Christmas!  I'm looking forward to it and have been scratching my head trying to think of a suitable theme.  I've come up with a plan!  I shall make lovely traditional bears for this show.  They will be quintessentially English and I'm going to call the collection 'The Best of British'!  Cheeky eh?  ;)

This centre-seam chap is the first.  He's called 'Clarence' (I think I shall call each of the bears after royal dwellings!) and he is 20" tall.  I've made him from stunning frost tipped German mohair and he has olive glass eyes, with black pupils.  As you can see, he has traditional proportions.

Deb Upstate New York

Oh D'Paula ~ He's wonderful!  And I like your plan too!  I have no doubt it'll be a huge success.  How many bruins do you plan to create before the show?  Good luck!

Kent
Website

Hi Deb,

Thank you - I'm so glad you like him!  I'm hoping to have about nine large bears to take with me ... fingers crossed!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You are so cleaver Paula. Great bear and really great idea!
Heather

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Gorgeous, Paula.  I love this guy a lot. 

Two questions:

1.)  What royal dwelling is called, "Clarence?"  Ignorant Amer-i-can here.
2.)  How long does it take you to make each bear?

Okay, three questions...

3.)  How much mohair do you use on each one of your bigguns?  I'm guessing at least 1/3 yard, in our Yankee measurements... ?

aerianna aerBears
Sacramento, CA

Paula, Your bears are always so beautiful. They look huggable and kind. Clarence is no exception. He is wonderful. Great job!!!
Aerianna

Kent
Website
Shelli wrote:

Gorgeous, Paula.  I love this guy a lot. 

Two questions:

1.)  What royal dwelling is called, "Clarence?"  Ignorant Amer-i-can here.
2.)  How long does it take you to make each bear?

Okay, three questions...

3.)  How much mohair do you use on each one of your bigguns?  I'm guessing at least 1/3 yard, in our Yankee measurements... ?

Thanks for taking a peek everyone! 

To answer Shelli's questions:

1.  Clarence House was where our Queen Mother lived.  This link should give you more details: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page2262.asp  (I hope it works!)

2.  If I'm making a straightforward bear, I take between 10/12 hours.  A more complicated bear will take an hour or two more ... the laughing bears take the longest.

3.  Clarence took half a metre of mohair to make (purchased this fabric in the UK).  Generally speaking I have to order 2/3 yards for a 20/21" bear, if I'm buying in from the US.  Although my bears might not sound ever so tall, they are pretty chunky!  I like them to have nice drumstick thighs and be a real armful to hug!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks for the answers!  Your bears do look to be a huge armful.  I tend to make biggish heads but relatively smaller bodies, and those drumstick thighs did look like they might take some extra yardage.  It's intersting how the yardage/meter requirements change so dramatically, depending on the proportions of the bear.  Even a large head takes very little mohair to trace and cut, but a large body requires a really big chunk of available fabric!

Beautiful, beautiful bear.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Paula

He is gorgeous!  He looks like he has a centre seam head - I love that cute parting just above his eyes   :)

Look forward to meeting the rest of the gang!  (Highgrove and Kensington among them??)

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Paula he is outstanding! The mohair is scuptious!

Many Hugs Louise

Kent
Website

Thank you so much ladies! 

Melissa, you spotted right, he is a centre seam teddy - I haven't made one of those in AGES, actually it must be years now I come to think about it!!

The mohair is of course, Shulte's 'zotty' style.  It has a 1" pile and is beautifully dense - a real pleasure to work with.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Paula . . . absolutely stunning big guy!!  I have some Zotty fur, too, and like the lighter tips.  Good luck at the show - you have an excellent theme and you're off to a great start!  Looking forward to seeing the rest of the Best of British family!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WOW! I love your big guys!  His face is wonderful! Your bears look so big!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Wow...I love Clarence...but then I have soft spot for that name anyway.  You're bears are so huggable...I just know it!!

ellen ontario, canada

WOWWWWW!  gorgeous again!  good luck with the show - that's a wonderful theme!
i wanna see Glamis!
bear_original

Pipa UK

he's gorgeous paula and a great idea too !! he looks very British ! bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Absolutely wonderful, gorgeous and just beautiful as per usual Paula. :dance: :dance: bear_thumb

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

He is gorgeous, Paula. I just love your big guys,  they do look so very huggable. bear_wub

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Hi Paula

What a gorgeous, chunky boy!  :clap: If he suddenly disappears from your stand - you'll know who's got him!  ;)

Vicky

Kent
Website

You're welcome to a cuddle with him Vicky! 

Thank you all for your support.  Now all I need to do is find some time to make him some friends!

Pipa UK

Can't wait to see his friends Paula bear_original

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Wow Paula,  Clarence is outstanding ! he is sooooo beautiful !  :clap:
I'm 100% sure that your bears will take everyone's breath away at the 'British Bear Fair' .  bear_smile :rose:

:hug: Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

The mohair is of course, Shulte's 'zotty' style

bear_laugh You answered my question before I got to ask it, Paula! On a gorgeous bear that large, this fur works wonders. Wowza, girl.  :hug:

But is that earth he's sitting on? Right on his  bear_smile bottom?

Eileen

lulu sweet souls
canton, new york

Hi Paula, 

Your bears are always nothing less than stunning.  You sure have the knack for getting those bears right on the mark!

He's really makes me want to hug him...

LuLu

Kent
Website
Eileen wrote:

The mohair is of course, Shulte's 'zotty' style

bear_laugh You answered my question before I got to ask it, Paula! On a gorgeous bear that large, this fur works wonders. Wowza, girl.  :hug:

But is that earth he's sitting on? Right on his  bear_smile bottom?

Eileen

Don't worry Eileen, it's actually a stone step he's sitting on!  bear_happy

Pages:

Board footer