Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Not the itchy scratchy ones but the nasty little devils that get into your computer and eat your files. Today when I switched on my computer I found that I couldn't get anything to work. What I need to know is what internet security program would you all recommend I need to send my husband to the store to get one for me as soon as possible. At the moment I am using McAfee security suite 7.0 and it has been set up ok but I still get virus attacks regularly. I have lost all my files with my bear fair paperwork so I'm not too happy.
HELP PLEASE.  bear_sad bear_sad bear_sad bear_sad bear_sad

Jane

Deb Upstate New York

I like Norton.  I also run the free version of both Spybot and Ad-aware regularly.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_ermm Jane,

Are you sure the problem is bugs? My computer was diagnosed as virus-ridden way back. But the same thing kept happening. The cursor would freeze, or the screen would go blank, and I would have to restart.

Finally, after an onscreen alert saying that I'd overheated ("a thermal event") the repair guy discovered that this had been my problem all along. By now my entire CPU has been replaced. So far so good! I don't know why I didn't get the alert the first time the computer froze. I forgot to ask.

I've got the McAfee Security Suite too. It wasn't guilty.

Eileen

teddy_bears_org USA - Florida

Get Norton Internet Security and do not use internet explorer, outlook or outlook express. Everyones computer gets infected with those apps. Go to www.mozilla.org and use Firefox as your web browser and Thunderbird for your email. Your problems will fade, believe me on this. Been running both of these for couple of years and never get spyware, viruses and so forth.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use Norton Utilities, and we have Zone Alarm installed as a firewall.  We also run Spybot and Ad-Aware with regularity, to eliminate spyware.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I use AVG anti-virus, the free version (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01). I find it very reliable. If you suspect a virus, you can scan your computer using an online service such as Panda which is also free (http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan). Sometimes one will pick up a virus that the other does not.

Unfortunately I can relate to what Eileen is saying...I had lots of strange problems with my computer some time back and couldn't find any virus or spyware. Eventually the hard drive packed up and the problems had been a prelude to that  :(. The fan can also cause overheating and similar things can happen. Hopefully this doesn't apply in your case, but it's worth considering!

Hope it's all sorted out soon.... bear_original

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Jane,

Oh what a nuisance for you.   I also use AVG, the free one.   I have to admit though, we do get those nasty things from time to time, but it's because I haven't kept the updates up to date, and then my computer maintenance bod gets all mad with me and I'm stood there like a naughty school girl!!!  :redface:

Technology huh!!?   Hope you get it sorted soon.  bear_happy

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have norton and some kind of spywear stuff, my hubby would know...

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

F-Secure is a very good one too. My boyfriend is using it and is very happy.
http://www.f-secure.com/

i have no idea how much it costs...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have just dealt with this problem and here is what the computer guy told me.

AVG is free, but it is not the best detector.  He uses it because he is a computer tech and knows what to do if he does get a virus.

Norton has good detection, but it slows your computer down a lot.  He said unless you have a new super powerful computer, he would not recommend it.

McAfee is worthless.  His words not mine.

He recommended PC-cillin.  He said it is one of the best available.  It also has spam blocker.  We're using it, and so far so good.

Hope this helps.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Maybe that is why my computer is slow because of Norton.... that and that I have dialup at home I HATE DIALUP!

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I had Norton three or four years ago and had a lot of problems - mainly conflicts between different software - but perhaps the newest versions are better?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I use Norton, too, but that doesn't help when a computer Gnome takes up resisdence.....all hope is lost.....

good luck......

however if it is a computer gnome he sometimes heals things at a later date......

really

bear_tongue

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have Norton Antivirus.  I have Yahoo e-mail which also provides antiviral protection.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_ermm  Hmmm. My computer guy said that McAfee is good, so is Norton. McAfee is like an overprotective mother, always butting in and asking if I'm sure I want to do whatever . . .

My McAfee is constantly updating virus protection, and I can run a virus-scan on all files whenever I want to. My Hubs uses Norton. Has used Norton. Rogers Cable, our internet provider, is now providing McAfee free as part of the package.

Eileen

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Jane,
We had big problems with Norton, took it to a very experience tech guy, who told us to toss Norton out, it finds the bugs but can't get rid of them...which is what happened with us, until the whole thing finally shut down with a "worm" anyway we now have one called "VET" had it since January with no problems, so far, fingers crossed. We do scans each day, plus spybot etc. You can buy online..

http://www.vet.com.au/
Take care, hope you're well soon
big hugs,  :hug: :hug:
Denise.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hiya everyone! Thanks so much with the information.  :thumbsup:
Eileen said

Are you sure the problem is bugs?

Yes we had 9 Trojans hit us yesterday and wiped all the files, programs etc. We have had to reinstall everything from scratch. I lost everything photos, my paper work for my bears, my bear fair specials which I had just made and not yet saved to disk. I'm so cross with myself for not backing everything up as I usually do. I have all the photos up to a month ago on disk but I was going to put a show preview on my website before the fair on the 30th. I will have to do a photo shoot all over again if I can get someone to help me.

Thanks again.  bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower

Jane  bear_original bear_original bear_original bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Jane, that's awful.  :hug:

Eileen

Pipa UK

i use Norton AntiVirus  bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh gosh, Jane . . . I so sorry!  How awful!  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

It's maddening isn't it Jane? I've had virus problems in the past, and can't understand why such destructive little programs exist in the first place....how can anyone get a kick out of hurting others?

Well, I hope you've managed to pick up the pieces quickly - take care!  bear_laugh

Board footer