Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Does anyone else watch either of these shows?  I don't watch TV and only have a little black and white one that is stored in the garage most of the time but had it in the house awhile back and stumbled on Super Nanny.  For some reason I find them fascinating and hysterical at the same time.  Now mind you my children were never angels...but...puhleeze...some of these children are absolutely BRATS...and some of the parents need the "naughty chair".

Pipa UK

i watch Supernnany and i've also seen Nanny911.. i know what you mean about the kids, we were never behaved like that when we were kids. they do say tho all these additives kids eat in food make them hyperactive  bear_rolleyes

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

There wasn't a show like that when we were kids because it was simply NOT acceptable to behave like that. And why? Because back then if you did it was OK for a parent to spank their child. Today you'd go to jail for child abuse over it! So instead thousands of dollars are spent producing The Nanny.

Yes, I've watched it. I was a live in nanny for 4 years.... two different families during that time. I saw it all. When I watch the show I find myself thinking it's the parents that need a good spanking!

OK, I'm stepping off my soap box now!  :D

Daphne

I just reread this and it sounds incredibly unchristian of me.  bear_sad Please forgive me. I just get really impatient with many, not all as I know of some wonderful mothers right here, of today's parents! It's huge pet-peeve of mine.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

You can be on your soap box if you wanna...I'm okay with that.  I just found them interesting...hard to believe children actually behave that way and parents allow it.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Super Nanny, yep I watched that each week. I agree with you Shantell, the naughty chair would be where I would send the parents of the unbelievably unruly kids. They bite, scream, fight, smash furniture etc. I have had five kids of my own but not one of them ever got into anything like these kids. The problem is the parents don't lay down any rules for kids, half of them don't even speak to them. Yeh they shout at them or indulge them with hugs or rewards after bad behavior, but not once do you see them giving the children the right kind of attention. It saddens me to think these kids are being dragged up through life. Heavens above to think what their children will turn out to be like. Scarry! This is why I feel sorry for these kids they aren't happy because they aren't bought up feeling secure in their family lives so as far as I can see there is no hope to get a good upright adult out of these poor kids. Yes they do seem like brats but I honestly think it's down to the lack of nurture from their parents. Maybe they didn't have a good upbringing, who knows. 

Off my soap box now!!!!! I love kids!

Jane  bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Me too, Jane  :hug:

I've been a stay-at-home mom for 28 years, and still counting! I've never once spanked my kids, and never felt the need to, but sometimes felt the temptation. They had plenty of adult attention, and I think it shows.

I spent 5 years as School Council Chair at the local high school. I can't count how many times I heard parents of difficult kids whining, "But I deserve a life of my own, don't I?"

The thing is, when you have children, 'a life of your own' inludes them. Forever. I've known many parents who consider their kids 'independent' at 12 or so, and can't wait to get them out of the house. These kids are forced to handle social and emotional burdens they're not anywhere near ready for, and a lot of their bad behavior is self-defensive--they have to fit in with their peers, the only family they've got.

I've seen this in very young children stuck in daycare for way too many hours each day. The peer group and its rules become the standard. Teachers and parents don't count.

Off my soapbox.

I'm very proud of my daughters, but I went wrong somehow with the dogs and cats and rabbits--they're all spoiled rotten!

Eileen

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I'm right there with you ladies. With everything you say. I was raised with alot of respect. So it is all I know.
We were given freedom, but my parents let us know that they would always be there, no matter what. AND still are. I'm 45. We were raised with knowledge of our secure place within the family unit. That is what makes all the difference when raising children. Raising anything actually. Give your children RESPECT, LOVE, SECURITY

My sister said that a parent should be the type of adult they want their children to become. Never say no to a hug.
Believe and trust your children enough to give them freedom to become good people.
OK, said enough for one day.   Matilda bear_rolleyes

Pipa UK

i saw one mother on supernanny who sat and watched tv all day and her little boy  was always  trying to get her attention and she told him off constantly for getting in the way of the Tv.. thats quite bad, if a tv comes before your child...

now if it wa a computer that'd be a different story... bear_grin  (just kidding)  bear_happy

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

My son is 28 now and a very good boy.should i say man ,and when he was 5 years old he was so bad when he came home from school i would smack him with the wooded spoon bear_shocked and till this day i still think about it .it only lasted a few months but i should have handled it defferent.Ijust hope he dosent remember.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shantell, it certainly is entertainment.  Of cousre they only show the worst possible scenes for this purpose...but MAN...some of those kids........ bear_angry

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I have to teenage daughters, one 16 and one soon to turn 15. I cannot believe how the kids on those shows behave. It is because of how the parent behaves and how much time the spend on the child. You are so right about kids who are considered independent at age 12.
I worked for the school district for five years and saw so many kids who are just left to thier own devices while their parents are living thier own lives.
Kids need parents all the time, even thru college and into adulthood. You wouldn't just throw your pet out and expect it to do for itself. They need love, attention, and care constantly so do kids.
I am so proud of my kids for the great kids that they are. They are both totally different but both great kids.
Kathy

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh So true, Kathy.

Mine are 22, 25 and 28. They have a great time heckling their old 'rents when they're all at home together, recalling all our daft moments and laughing themselves silly, but it's surprising how many things they still need us for.

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes.  I, apparently, still need my dad to change the air intake filter in my ceiling, which keeps dust and crud out of my central ducts.  He brings or buys one, and changes it, every single time he visits.

Lucky for him, I repay him with a mean homemade chili, sour cream and all. bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh I get to snake the hair out of my eldest daughter's shower drain!

bear_wub Sour cream on chili--I never thought of that! As it happens, we're having chili (Friday's chili, but it only gets better). Thanks, Shelli  :hug:

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am not a parent yet... but I agree with my mom.... it is the parents that are the reason the kids act that way... sure all kids act up but these little kids are monsters!  I only got spanked maybe once or twice that I remember and it was never a whack just a simple tap to let me know what was what.  I was a good kid (for the most part) and always new better not to act up!

I love LOVE LOVE sour cream in my chili and on my tacos mmmmmmmmmmm!!! my hubby thinks that sour cream is nasty! I tell him he doesnt know what is good for him.  HA!

Pipa UK

alot of kids today are really spoilt too, they dont have any value for thier belongings. there was one little girl on supernanny when they threatened to confiscate one of her toys she just said "so what, i've got loads more" and she was only about 7 years old !

Board footer