Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Everyone,

My dad is currently undergoing a course of radiotherapy for a tumour.  He has to travel to our nearest city every morning, to undergo this treatment, and while he's been going, he's made friends with a little boy of 4 who has Leukemia.   The little boy, Harry, is going to be in hospital all over Easter, and my dad wants to buy him a little gift to pass the time - I need some ideas as I said I would help find him something, what would you buy?

All ideas and suggestions welcome, and I have to purchase it by Wednesday so dad can take it to the hospital on Thursday.

Thanks all and big hugs!  x  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What about a puzzle (age appropriate), coloring book, picture book, games (again age appropriate), stuffed toy?

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I hope your father is doing well. How sweet of him to befriend this little boy. Sue Ann's suggestions are some I would also make...but how about a Teddy Bear...something to hug and love and snuggle while he must stay in the hospital over Easter week. I hope he does well during his treatment.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Well, perhaps he can asks the parents on what their son likes. That way, he can give a gift he knows the child will enjoy.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Aw, that's so sweet of your dad and so sad when little ones are ill.  My daughter Aubrie is 4 years old too.  She LOVES those "look and find" or "I Spy" Junior books and can spend hours just looking at them.  She also enjoys coloring, play dough, construction paper, and her all time favorite thing is to make paper airplanes.  There's a book on it that she got for Christmas.  Toys are only interesting to her for a little while but give her things to do and she's all smiles!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I think Lisa has a great idea there with the Paper airplanes, what little boy or girl wouldn't love to make them and drive the nurses crazy as you throw the airplanes at them  bear_grin .  I think a nice soft rabbit would be nice too.  I spent so much time in the hospital as a child, I had cancer of the inner ear so I have some experience with how awlful it is to be in the hospital.  Having something cuddly is always nice as they kind of become your friend and you usually can take them anywhere with you in the hospital and nice to have with you when your having nasty test done.

I certainly hope things are well with your father and it's very sweet how he has befriended this little boy.

big hugs

Shane

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

AHHHH BLESS HIM X

I THINK EARLY LEANING CENTRE IS GREAT FOR ACTIVITYS, THERE ARE ALL SORTS OF KITS AND THINGS FOR LITTLE-UNS.
I THINK THEY SELL WOODEN AROPLANES AND CARS THAT THEY CAN PUT TOGETHER SIMPLY THEMSELVES AND PAINT.
IV GOT A ROOM FULL OF ARTY, CRAFTY STUFF IN THE EFFORT TO OCCUPY MY TWO AND MOST OF THE TIME IT WORKS AND ITS EVEN BETTER IF SOMEONE ELSE GETS TO CLEAN UP THE MESS AFTER!!!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Clare I don't have any other ideas -  there are some great ones here.  But I'll have good thoughts for your Dad and the little boy!!

DraigAthar Draig Athar Designs
New Hampshire
Website

Your Dad is so sweet! I like the coloring book idea. Or even some crayons and a drawing pad, if he likes to color without any lines! Last time I was in the hospital, I had an origami book and I sat and did origami for hours on end. But that might be a little advanced for a 4-year-old. Good luck, I hope you find something he likes, and I hope your Dad is doing okay ...

Amy

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Sometimes just the simple things are the best. I think you will have to consider what treatment he is having, maybe he has a drip in his arm, so drawing , doing puzzles would be difficult.
A cuddly soft toy would then be ideal, of if he has someone to read to him maybe a Easter book story.

It is good to hear stories of how people care for each other.

Lynette

clare14 Country Bears
England

Thank you so much to to you all -  :hug:   :hug:    We decided on a soft toy dog which has games you play etc all in one - Harry was just going in foir his treatment as dad came out this morning, so they never got to catch up properly, but I'm sure I'll hear all about it on Tuesday!   Sadly little Harry has managed to fracture his arm too just the other day, but he still managed to get his mum to write dad an Easter card and managed to give dad a hug this morning.  Bless his little heart!   bear_wub  bear_wub

Again, thank you for all your kind help, and good wishes, I really appreciate it!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer