Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

clare14 Country Bears
England

I've come back from my show with some bears to sell, which I want to put on ebay.   Would you put them ALL on at once, or spread them out a bit, say 2 a week??   

Also, I notice, especially on ebay US, you use the 'featured listing' a LOT more than us, it's a few pence off £10 GBP for us to use, that's on top of our listing fees, do you think it's worth it, and do you find it sells better for you if you do use it??

Here I go again, questions questions questions!!!  bear_rolleyes  bear_grin

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Clare  :)

If it were me I'd probably list them in batches, say 2 or 3 twice a week. But there's probably no good reason for that....I've never had that many bears to list at once, so I'm not talking from experience!!!

As for the featured listings, I've only tried it once and I did get more hits to the auction. But I'm not sure it affected the price (my listing was on the US site, but all my bidders were in the UK).

Hmm, eBay's a funny old place!

Pipa UK

i would put a couple out one week then  couple more the next, or say 3 per week however many you have

what it costs for the featured listing i wouldnt pay, it only seems to be the ones that get hundreds for thier bears that use it because they know they get high prices for thier bears making it worth paying the price. i personally wouldnt use it unless you know you get the high price for your bears. it just means you will lose £10 profit of your bear  bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would do two or three a week - I have never used the featured listing - too much money!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I used the featured listing when I have something spectacular that I think worthy of extra attention (longer duration at the fore-front, in other words), or when I've been absent from eBay for a while, and want to "remind" people that my bears, and me, exist.  Otherwise, such as in this week's auction, I don't use it.  I used it for my LAST piece, though, because I'd been away for a while.

It definitely brings more hits.

It doesn't necessarily bring a higher price point.

It for certain brings you, and your work, more attention... so in a sense you can view it as an advertising cost.

Hope that helps!  It's a science, eBay is, and one I don't entirely understand myself, just yet... !

Good luck!

Deb Upstate New York

Clare ~

If I had four bears ready to go, I'd put them on one after the other.  That way, for at least a month, you're out there, while you get another couple ready to go.  Maybe even wait one week in between.  That's just me.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I agree with Shelli.  You do get more hits but not necessarily more $$$$.  I use it once in a while.

I really like to have two bears listed at a time but find that difficult to keep up with.....especially when I am getting ready for an on-line bear show.

Listing one or two at a time is like fishing...you luer  them[collectors] a few at a time...keep them hungry for more. bear_rolleyes

clare14 Country Bears
England

Thanks guys!!   I've been brave and listed 2 of my bears tonight, 'skye' on a normal listing, and 'anais' a polar on a featured, just HAD to have a go......   you live and learn, if you've the time, take a look and see what you think, and if there's anything (there'll be loads!!) you can comment on, PLEASE do, I love feedback, good or bad, it's helpful to me  :dance:

you're all so kind, I really appreciate your time  bear_wub

Pipa UK

Gorgeous clare. love the polar especially !! i hope the featured listing brings in some good hits and £ for you  bear_original

clare14 Country Bears
England

Thanks Pipa, that's so kind and means a lot to me, thank you xx

Pipa UK

welcome bear_original  :hug:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Well I've taken the plunge and listed my bear 'Anais' on a featured listing tonight - Eeeeekk!!    It'll be an interesting advertising exercise, as Shelli says if you've been out for a while.....which I have 'cos I've been saving the bears for the show, to no avail!!!  bear_grin  bear_rolleyes   I'll try it and let you know how I get on!!   It's something that's interested me for a while!

gingerbear vermont

from the buyer's point of view,  i always remember thinking... gee,  i wish they would list their items a bit more slowly that way i can save up for the next batch and get another one i love!    :love:

good luck with your beautiful bears!

ginnie bear_rolleyes

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Hi guys when you place your bears on ebay do you always sell them.? because i cant seam to sell any so far, do you start at a really low price? maybe i am starting to high but i thought $180 dollars was ok what do you think?

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Fran - eBay is  a really tough one!  It's difficult to know what to do!!  There will be an article on buying/selling on eBay in an upcoming Australian Bear Creations magazine (where Sarah and I were both interviewed for it)

I would recommend setting your price at the very lowest you would be happy to receive.

Clare - good luck with eBay - it's rather hit and miss, but I hope you have all hits rather than misses!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Clare, it looks like anais is successful! Already 3 bids on it! i am sure you will sell both of your bears easily, as they are so sweet. Anais is my favourite one!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Pipa UK

Fran - ebay is a mad place. some sell some dont. the only thing i would suggest is do not list it any lower than you are happy to take. because although a low starting bid is appealing you can often find you end up having to sell your bear for a crazy cheap price !!

Apart from that i dont know. i see bears sell for loads and then i see other bears just as cute some even cuter dont get anywhere near the price of others for more or less the same type of bear ! crazy place is ebay !!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Clare!  If it were me, I'd probably go for just one a week.... when I've done two at the same time, I find that they each generally end lower,  simply beacuse my bears end up competeing against eachother for the same small group of bidders.  Folks that have a broader collector base may not find this to be true, but it is for me! 

Like others have said, the Featured Auction does bring in a lot more lookers for me, but not always bidders.  My bears sell to the same 5-7 people over and over again, whether I use the Featured Listing or not! 

Beary truly yours,
  Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I agree with Pipa - don't put bears on eBay for less than you'd be happy to accept (unless you are confident of bids). Some people list at a low price and put a reserve on their bears. I like to list at the minimum price I'd sell for.

But it is crazy, and there are no guarantees. One thing I've learned about eBay is that the number of watchers on an auction does not seem to correspond to the number of bids you can expect....at least, it's true for me! Also, I read somewhere that collectors sometimes follow each other to certain auctions - does anyone have experience of this? I imagine it could only apply to the more well-known/popular artists.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hiya Clare. A tip to try from Helena was to list on ebay.com (USA). Go to ebay.com. Then here is what Helena told me (I'm sure she won't mind passing this on).

To list on both the UK and US site at the same time you'll need to place the listing on the US site. Then choose the categories 'bears>artist>artist, one of a kind' and 'bears>artist>other'. The first category brings your bear up in the US listings, whereas the 'other' category means your bear will be seen in the UK listings.

You pay two listing fees and the price is dollars but so far my Shamus bear has had more hits and watchers than Bruno who was similar but was just on the UK site. I do think I will do this again. I noticed Shelli's bear on the UK site too so it can work both ways. We did have a post on this and there was good advice from when to sell to the free ebay page templates. Its always good to share even though ebay is a bit mad!

In answer to people following each other, I read in an ebay selling book (from the library) go to the advanced search put their ID in and, very big brother, you get to find what the are bidding on, have bid on, won, and sold. So the same group of people can keep an eye on each other. Also its a cheeky way of finding out where artists get supplies from (OK I confess I check popular artists out). Not everyone is as sharing as us and I have found some great suppliers through other ebayers. It is a bit...voyeuristic though. Remember it works both ways and someone could be watching me!

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I don't mind at all Amanda, just glad to have helped!  bear_original My auctions do seem to benefit from listing on boths sites, and I've had bids on both sides of the Atlantic, although I must say that lately most of my winners are in the UK. It would be interesting to know if US collectors are put off by the postage fees?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Funny, I really thought that if you listed ebay, it would automatically show up in all countries. I use ebay.ca and I can see listings from US, UK etc.
Ebay can be complicated at times for sure.
Heather

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

You are right Heather. Its to do with most of the USA users going on the artist OOAK section and your bear only shows up in 'the other' section, when you have listed it from other than the USA. At this stage I am happy to pay double listing fees for the extra coverage where it matters. Its still hit and miss, though.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

If anyone ever figures out this ebay madness please enlighten me !   I just get more frustrated each time I list a bear.  Some sell, others don't.  I know it is all subjective, but it drives me CRAZY ! I liked it better when the number of watchers features wsn't available.  At least you didn't get your hopes up.  Sorry, I just needed to vent.  I will not give up however.     :twisted:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Don't give up. But you're right. Sure it's nice to see how many people are interested in your bear, but they could also be interested copying your bear and need a picture to do so. I'd rather not see how many people are watching.
I remember I would get LOTS of questions about my item for sale. But questions like
"where do you get your felting supplies, or how do you sculpt that? Did you take it out of a book? Could you copy that book for me." and so on.
I found that when i would reply, no-one would even send a thank you back. And besides, I just wanted to sell my item. Not help people make one themselves.
Okay, I wanted to vent to.
Heather

Oh, and Amanda,thanks for clarifying for me. I was confused.

Board footer