Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

picobaby Posts: 3

maybe someone can help me. i've used regular inks and copic inks for my airbrushing or dry brushing mohair...but they all smudge. i wipe and wipe yet still if they are rubbed to much or get wet, the ink comes right off on my hands. what to do? anyone have a secret to share? pretty please bear_laugh

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi picobaby, is this your first post? 
Welcome.
Glad to meet you. 

Judy or Shelli or Laure or... or.... or ....can probably help you.  Since Ive never done any airbrushing I can only offer sympathy.

I am taking an e-class on it starting Sunday-but I still wont be able to help.  I don't think I'm going to know anything at all for a long long time.

Good luck.  I know someone will help you out here!

Dilu

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I don't know but I have a feeling it needs to be heat set...with a blow dryer may work...but wait till someone else who has done this before helps here....Welcome to the board !........Winney

yes this is my first post...thank you both:)

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Welcome! bear_original:):)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Picobaby,

You'll probably find help in the topic "Shading on Wool Felt" as we discussed a lot of various shading/airbrushing techniques using various paints, etc. (it wasn't just about wool felt!) and the pros and cons of each. There's a lot of reading there but you'll get a lot from it I'm sure! Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy!

Yes, heat setting may work, using paints might too.... I've learned so much about airbrushing and shading with markers, pencils, etc.! But I have yet to actually try airbrushing! I'm new to dry brushing (I usually use markers - and heat set - or pencils) but I find the acrylic paints dry fast and don't smudge. The oils give a great finish but are slower to dry if you are impatinet (that's me!!)

Good luck and thanks for joining us!

Daphne

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

HI Picobaby!

Welcome!

I have been airbrushing for more than 20 years.  Airbrushing works fabulous on mohair and fur bears.  I have airbushed bears both in mohair and real fur,  and have done airbrushed paintings on board, and clothing.  I have even machine washed sweat shirts I have painted, many many times and the paint stays true to color, soft , and flexible. 

I use acrylic, which are water based, paints.  This kind of paint goes on very well and stays very soft and flexible.   Airbrushing should look and feel soft to the touch, so you never want to paint heavily.  The key to making it permanent is to heat set the paint.  You can do this with a hair dryer, or if you are painting a length of mohair using your clothes dryer will work.  NEVER put a finished bear in the dryer...I don't think any bear would like that very much...and of course it could damage him/or her.

Hope this helps...and I hope you have fun here!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Thank's Judi ...That answers a lot of questions for me about using acrylics on bears...Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Judi

what if you have one of those stationary shelves for the dryer- like for drying tennis shoes?  Would that be a safe way to heat set?

Wouldn't want the little fella bouncing around, however on the shelf....Hmmmm

Any thoughts?

Dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I bet that would work fine , Dilu, since the bear would not be boucning around.  Great idea!

thanks so much everyone. that's just what i needed to know!
bear_happy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Welcome, picobaby . . . it will be fun to get to know you.

clare14 Country Bears
England

I have been reading all the posts about shading over the last 2 days, and today went out to purchase some oil paints..........picked up the wrong box and ended up with a box of acrylics (typical me - doh!!)   I think I may be ok reading this thread though, I'll try anything after the 2 disasters I've just had with markers!!!   :mad::mad::o

At least I remebered the paint brushes!!!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Welcome Picobaby,
                                    Where does your name come from,or is it a secret never to be told. You have came to the nicest group that has ever been.These Guys are the Best.  Hope you enjoy your time with us all. We Laugh to-gether and we cry to-gether . But you'll soon forget your woes just reading all the posts.

Hugs from Scotland
  Rita xx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi picobaby ....welcome to teddy Talk! :)

Jane

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome  Picobaby! :D
Oh, let us see you bear ♪ 

Clare, good luck with your  acrylics !
IF you can't use them for your bears, you can still use acrylics for eyes and other thing !! bear_grin
Hugs/Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Welcome Picobaby! :D

I had the same problem, but with markers, until I heat-set them. Works a treat!

Eileen

Board footer