Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi everyone,
I am putting together a feature for Teddy Bear & Friends magazine on the subject of having children attend bear fairs, and I would welcome your input.

Whether you are an exhibitor or a collectors (and I know that many of us are both!) - how do you feel about children being allowed into the exhibition hall?
If you are a bear artist, do you allow children to pick up your bears?  Do you have 'pocket money' items on your table so that children can have something they can afford?

As an exhibitor - if you have children, do you bring them with you to shows?  how do you keep them amused?

As a collector - if you have children yourself, do you bring them to shows?  What do you think children get out of attending a bear fair?  What would you like to see made available for children?  (eg, a quiet space for them to go if bored, entertainment...).  What is the best experienece you have had when bringing your child to a show?

If you don't have children (or they are grown up) - do you mind children being at shows?
I really hope some of you will come up with some interesting answers - you can respond here, or e-mail me privately.  I am also looking for good quality pictures, particularly of anything creative you have done to keep children amused at shows!  Please note that, if you want to send me a picture of your child or children at a show that would be fantastic - but I will need your written consent to use the image.  Please can you get back to me in the next few days??

I look forward to hearing from as many of you as possible!!:))
Beary best wishes,
Christine

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I, for one, want children at shows. I have a table for Stuff Your Own Bear or Penquin, and if there are no children, there are no sales. Also, mostly what I make are baby-safe animals that are priced for children or parents/grandparents looking for something for young children.

Most of the time, I find that the children at shows are fairly well behaved. There are the ones that there is no controlling, but most of them are good. They do get bored, and I also have bear and penquin pictures kids can color. The ones that bother me the most are the kids that have had candy and come along with "candy" fingers and start picking up bears! But, most times, parents are right there and get a hold of them before too much damage can be done. There have only been a couple of times that I have had to ask children to stop touching.....especially when the ones they like the most are the "real' fur bears!

So......Bring on the kids to my table!!!!  bear_original  :dance:
pandamac

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

As a bear artist I took my daughter to all my shows from 3 weeks old to 4years. due to circumstances I haven't traded fro a while. She used to sleep on a yoga mat under my table if needed. Luckily for my my husband was always there and he used to take her for walks around the show and outside but if needed she would play with toys under my table. From the first she was taught NOT to play with the bears in my table or anyone elses.

As the editor of the magazine I often attend bear and doll shows on the weekends and LAra comes with me most times, she loves to look and rarely gets bored, she is now 7. Even if I have to stand and chat for a while. It is great if some traders have small items for sale that she can buy as I give her a small amount of money to spend. As my daughter she is well aware of good and bad bears and has a wonderful small collection of artist bears and beanie bears.

As a show organiser myself I have found the feedback form my traders is mixed many like children and most see them as collectors in training. I will also say that most who attend are children of collectors and artists and are usually well aware that they are NOT toys and cannot be handled

There is only one show where I have had my stock badly handled by children and the organiser had all the local schools do a colouring contest and then all these children were brought by parents to see there coloured picture on display. Both parents and children had no appreciation of the bears and dolls and nearly every trader had some damage in some form or other. Iy was a lesson well learnt for the organiser on a way NOT to entice people through the door!!

Hope this helps

Bearhugs

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi Christine, I like to attend ( as a collector) our local bear fair twice a year with Hannah my 10 year old daughter.  She has been bought up with my bears and knows the difference between toys and collectibles.  She always takes some pocket money with her and likes to buy small items like key rings and the occasional manufactured bear such as a Charlie Bear.  I know she would be very upset if she could not buy something there.  She loves talking to the exhibitors and has now made a few exhibitor friends who she goes straight to when we enter the hall.  When she gets bored that is the time we have a tea/lunch break, just enough to re-fuel to keep us going to see another few tables.  She knows to ask if she can touch the bears (I have always asked and she copies me!).  I also have a four year old and she always stays at home with dad - at that age they want to touch and buy everything and are two young to understand (she's in training  bear_grin ) - a nighmare for the exhibitors and the parents.  I missed the last Leeds fair because my hubby was at work and I was not prepared to drag a four year old around - its just not fair on anyone. So my answer is yes to kids of the right age/maturaty and if you have something to entertain them at the tables that would be great - how about a childrens craft table getting them to make felt finger puppets (bear shaped), they could add googly eyes, bow ties, sparkly bits etc you could use stick glue to keep it cleaner! How about a childrens best dressed bear competition? (You can tell I work in a playgroup can't you  bear_grin )

Pandmac what a great idea, stuff your own toy, Hannah would LOVE that! (So would I too :redface: )

It would be a shame if bear fairs became adult only places, after all, children are the collecters/artists of the future!

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

Personally i love to see the kids there and i dont mind them handling the bears respectfully, and most of them do. 99% of the parents that bring them are very good about watching them and talking to them about what they are looking at and why they have to be careful. i used to take some small items to give the kids that came thru the Amherst fair ( outdoors) like bubbles..and many friends make smaller  child safe bears they can buy for a min. amount..and they love to "collect" business cards..one kind dealer in NH last month gave them lovely postcards from her booth. My demo on decorating in NH had two very cute kids front and center watching me and the boy was quite  fascinated! Likewise with Teddy Grahms ( hope i spelled that right!) needle felting demo. i loved craft fairs as a kid,,the wonder on their faces
charms me now!  i say yes  deb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've always seen the older kids do very well at shows... older being maybe 9 or 10 and up. They are at an age where they can begin to understand and appreciate the artist bears and become interested in watching demonstrations, etc. And children of serious collectors and artists are of course brought up knowing the 'rules' at a show and do very well.

It's the parents who come to a bear show for the very first time out of curiosity and naturally think it'll be fun entertainment for their kids... they don't know what to expect therefor their kids haven't been prepared either. This can often spell trouble. At my shows we have handi-wipes at the admission table for sticky fingers and the people working the admission table will point out in the program where the things for kids are located. (Mainly Ellen's booth with her "stuff your own"... she's a life saver!)

Are they really our future collectors???? I sure would like to think so.  bear_thumb Do you all know of kids who, 20 years ago attended teddy bear shows, and now collect artist bears? I'm just curious. I began long before I knew about bear shows. And many artists and collectors out there never even had a teddy bear as a child and now they are happily addicted.

As a side note, I once polled the artists who do my shows asking what their feelings were on offering manufactured bears. Out of 30 only 2 were in favor so there would be something there for kids. As a result my shows are "99% manufactured-free" but I make a conscious effort to have artists there that offer inexpensive, child safe critters, still hand made. And one of the mohair reps comes to my shows bringing all kinds of fun keychains and bitty bears that are manufactured (theres the 1%) and the kids LOVE to go through the baskets and pick out a favorite.

Also, there are liability issues that accompany having a "kids corner" where they can do a project..... parents still have to stay with them but most think its actually free child care and go off to shop. If anything happened to a child while left in a show volutneer's care or left completely unattended ..... I don't want to even think of the legal mess.

Norfolk, UK
Website

This is great, you guys - I'd love to hear more opinions!
And I'll be coming after those of you who have already posted for photographs, so start sorting through your images now! bear_grin
Hugs,
Christine

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've only attended one bear show, but I create real fur bears and wanted to go at the show proactively.  Since real fur bears can really take a beating, and the main selling feature of real fur is the feel, what I did was take scraps from each coat that the bears were made from.  I took these big scrapbooking labels from Jo Annes and on each tag I wrote in enormous letters PLEASE TOUCH ME!!!!!  I also wrote what type of fur it was, and then attached them to the scrap with raffia.   

Talk about a huge hit!!!!  I placed the scraps in front of each of the bears, so they were the first thing within hand range.  I encouraged anyone and everyone to touch and play with the scraps.  It allowed kids and adults alike the ability to pick up and feel each and every type of fur.  They could see the pelts, and feel the difference between the furs....and if they wanted they could ask to actually handle the bears.  Those little fur scraps got wallered like you wouldn't believe, but they were a HUGE hit!  It made me happy knowing the public was getting an education, having fun, and my bears were kept safe, but still accessible for people who wanted to buy.   bear_flower

Norfolk, UK
Website

Hey Debbie,
What a brilliant idea!!  Thanks for sharing bear_original
Hugs,
Christine

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi Christine

In my experience as I said before and Daphne also emphasised the behaviour of children as shows is often influenced by the way the organiser promotes the show. If it is made clear that the bears are collector items and not toys and are "very" expensive (as most non-collectors think).  Then they do not bring children along thinking it is a nice thing to do. In fact they will stay away not wanting the tears and tantrums of child that has been told they can't have "the toy". Most children of collectors and artists have been brought up with the bears and aware how to act from the time they can toddle.

I do believe these children are future collectors as they have been brought up and taught to love these items. At 48 I'm pretty sure that bear shows weren't around when I was I kid but I do know of about 4, 20 somethings who were taken to shows when they started about 10 to 15 years ago with their Mum's who are now avid collectors themselves. Actutally now I think about it  I could name another 6 so make that ten collectors who attended show from about age 10 and one of them is a guy and the others girls.

bearhugs

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Hi Christine,
My daughter is now 12, and she has been coming to bear shows with me from the age of about 5.  She always knew what an "artist bear" is and how much time and effort goes into making each bear and so from a very young age she always treated them with respect.  She definitely knows the difference between her cuddle bears - which are manufactured bears and she can take them anywhere with her and play etc., and artist bears which are to be cuddled, but handled carefully as they are very special bears.

From the age of about 8 I have let her choose one artist bear at each show and have brought it for her and she now has a lovely little collection.  Sometimes she will save up before a show so that she can get two artist bears.  Sometimes the attitude of the artist is quite interesting.  I always ask if she may hold a bear she is interested in.  Mostly artists are very accommodating and I think that they have a "gut" instinct whether buyers are genuinely interested in artist bears.  I remember one year my daughter really was keen on a rather expensive bear by an Australian artist.  With the intention of seriously considering a purchase, I asked the lady if my daughter (about 10 at the time) could hold the bear as we were interested in it.  She looked at us and said "No".  Needless to say she didn't get the sale.

On the whole, I find that bear artists are very understanding with children, and are able to determine whether the child is really interested in learning about the bears, or are just there as an outing.  Once again, I think it extremely important to respect our collectors of the future.  My daughter is only 12, and her collection is very small, but she takes it very seriously, and often tells me, when I am a grown up and have a job Mum, I am going to buy lots and lots of bears at each show.  Perhaps at that time she might buy me one!!!!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I have had mostly good experiences with kids at shows and my own has come with me since he was a baby. He was taught very strictly to  "look with your eyes & not with your hands" at shows and when an artist handed him a bear to hold he just about fainted dead away from the stress. I just never wanted other artists to say " Oh no! HE'S here again!"
If a child would really like to see a bear, I will sometimes get down low and hold the bear for them so they can just stroke it a little - most of the time its all they want but each situation is different.
Cheryl bear_flower

Christine wrote:

Hey Debbie,
What a brilliant idea!!  Thanks for sharing bear_original
Hugs,
Christine

You're welcome.  I loved the idea, and it was such a hit, I thought it would be wonderful if more artists did this  bear_flower

As for the children, I've had a situation where the kids realized they shouldn't touch, but their father was the disrespectful one.  You should have seen those kids faces when he reached out with grubby hands (from bicycling) to hold one of my bears.  They were horrified!  bear_shocked   And it took me a bit of telling him off and telling him point blank that his hands were filthy before he relinquished hold of my bear. 

I agree with the others, so long as the promoter is clear from the get go that these are collectibles and artwork ~ not manufactured toys~ then it helps to set the tone, and the parents can plan accordingly.   bear_original   Or at least a little bit better...  bear_whistle

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
DebbieD wrote:

I agree with the others, so long as the promoter is clear from the get go that these are collectibles and artwork ~ not manufactured toys~ then it helps to set the tone, and the parents can plan accordingly.   bear_original   Or at least a little bit better...  :whistle:

Sadly, people don't read..... short of saying it's an ADULT show right in the ad (which doesn't seem appropriate to me), no matter what is said about it being an artist show of heirloom quality, collectible, soft-sculpture ART (or whatever other catch words one can come up with) all people see is TEDDY BEAR SHOW, grab the kids and off they go. So, we have to get 'em as they come in the door... educate them before they've even paid their admission fee!

I've thought about giving every child a little teddy when they first arrive so they already have something in their hands!!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I like to see kids enjoying the bears at shows.  They have a wide eyed wonderment which is so satisfying to see.  In all the years I have been exhibiting, I have very rarely come across an ill-mannered child at a show, most are respectful, polite and delighted by the bears.  I think children should be made welcome at shows, after all, they are the most likely bear collectors of the future!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I've been attending the Shows here in SanDiego for 20 years or so. Madison has now attended it once each year (she's 2) I come prepared for her to want to touch, I bring her non-messy snack and things to keep her busy. I also bring her teddy bear and if I find something I think she can handle, I buy it for her. One time it was a $20 primitive horse, very simple very durable. I do NOT let her out of her stroller or on me somehow. I think we need kids to be able to attend shows to learn what makes these bears special and teach them that there is a difference between bears at ToysRUs and at a Bear show. Parents need to be responsible and realistic when bringing kids to shows. For my child, she loved checking out the mohair display and once she had a bear in her arms she was happy to show it to the vendors. Would a play area be good for her? No, she'd want to be there and I wouldn't be able to shop. If the venue sold less expensive bears, cheapy toys or gave stickers (eh??) when you paid to enter, I might be all over that.

Pictures: 1st with Judi and her bear at the show, 2nd with Grandma's newest bear at home. :)

judikris.jpg
maddybear.jpg

Norfolk, UK
Website
Kirsten wrote:

I've been attending the Shows here in SanDiego for 20 years or so. Madison has now attended it once each year (she's 2)

Hi Kirsten,
In case you don't pick it up before dropping by here - I have sent you an e-mail regarding the adorable picture of your daughter with our own Judi bear_original
Bear hugs,
Christine

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

ditto!  what a CUTIE! beautiful eyes!  deb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Wow this is a great topic, would love to see the article.

My kids from a young age were taken to bear shows when I first started collecting and enter bear comps, and now attend at some shows with me as an exhibitor, I don't mind children being allowed in as long as they are aware of the importance of what they can and cannot touch without being constantly prompted by a adult or peer. I don't think your allowed to discriminate children from a public place as far as I know here in Australia.

I agree it is very annoying when children have not been given a lesson in what they can or cannot touch, and pick up your bears without permission. I do allow children of a certain age to pick up bears if they kindly ask with their parent supervising of course.   You can also tell genuine buyers as well when your are having a discussion with them.   

I do have pocket money items on my table especially for children as it also gives my own children an interest in minding my table if needed and keep them amused during a show. Pocket Money items are generally items such as bear accessories, jewellery, glasses, etc.

My daughter especially from the age of 5 to now nearly 9 loves attending shows with me, she loves to sell some of her own handmade jewellery made from beads, it gives her an interest.   She also likes to go around to the pocket money stalls and spend some money, she is polite and has been shown what to do and not to do.  She also brings along, books to read, Gameboy, etc to play with when things are quiet.

I think allowing collectors children to come along, gives them an opportunity to see things and also develops future collectors in what they would like to collect of their own

I would love to see something to amuse the kids during a show, whether that be a games room, or a do it room - perhaps  running a workshop for kids in making something crafty. 

The best experience I have had bringing my children along to shows is seeing them spend money on their own little collectables, watching their enjoyment if they sell something they have made and seeing their expression when one of their favorites bears has been sold to a collector.   Seeing the enjoyment if they win a door prize or raffle prize.   Getting involved in peoples choice awards by voting.

Looking forward to reading more on this thread and goodluck with the research for your article Christine. :hug:

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

I've done shows for close to 20 years.  When I would have a parent and child approach the table and I hear mom or dad say "now don't touch", I get a "feel" for the child...I approach the child and say, "let me look at your hands"  (mailing to check if they're clean) and then hand them a bear...the look on that child's face!  bear_wub  It is a picture I've seen time and time again and I KNOW that it made a life long impression!  And the delicate, safe way that the child would then hold the bear, well you just know you've created a collector!

Now if the child was very boisterous   :twisted: ( a nice way of saying being a brat lol )  I don't bother.  Also very important piece of info for artists....if the parent isn't paying attention to the child and he or she is "fondling" lots of stuff, don't worry about offending the parent...it's usually a sign they don't have collectibles in their home and won't be making any major purchases, more like nickle and dime stuff.

hugs,
Leeann Krikau
Busser Bears

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Since I began my Teddy Bear obsession as a young child I do feel that the children at shows can be future collectors (and makers perhaps) of Teddies.

When I am a vendor at a show I have taken my children with help from family so they don't have to spend the whole day there. As my husband helps with the table, it is usually the kids' grandparents or aunt who actually bring them to the showroom for a visit.

I have two particularly fond memories of my kids at bear shows. First, when I was a new mommy, I brought Alex, my four month old,  along. My sister in law came along too to watch him. She brought him to the showroom for a visit, and he of course enjoyed as much attention as the bears. A fellow vendor chuckled that after Alex's aunt had taken him back to the hotel room for a nap, it was really evident that I missed my baby. I was holding a bear in my arms and rocking him without realizing it!

A second lovely bear show experience was more recent. I was showing at a Bright Star Promotions show and my mom brought both of my boys to see me. The boys were thrilled that Valerie Rogers the show promoter presented them (and all the children who came that day) with a small teddy as soon as they walked in the showroom. My younger son Brendan, who was six at the time, had been saving his allowance for weeks in anticipation of the show--a serious undertaking for a child who usually spends money as soon as it touches his fingers. Even with the $35 he had saved, I wasn't sure he'd find something he could afford. We were both delighted when he found the Good Bears of the World booth. The booth contained donated bears in every price range, and the money spent would go to this worthy cause. To make things more exciting, Good Bears of the World President, Terry Stong told him that "bears were half-price for sons of Teddy Bear artists"! Brendan's eyes glistened as he surveyed the table. He made a few selections, and as he was paying for them, his brother Alex, who had been making the rounds with my mom, came and took his arm excitedly saying, "Brendan, come here! You have got to see this!" We followed wondering what great treasure Alex had found. He led us to an artist's table with beautiful hand-made, real fur bears. "Look!" he said directing our attention to the corner of the table with a small grouping of soft floppy pastel-colored manufatured bears. Alex knew his brother well. Brendan loved bears in non-traditional colors. Brendan quickly chose a blue one, and it was priced to fit easily into his budget even with the bears he'd already purchased. Brendan was postively glowing as he walked out to Grandma's car with his armfulof new friends. Future collector? Without a doubt!

I don't think he's a 'future' collector ~ I think he's a collector NOW  bear_happy

Daphne I hear ya about the 'selective reading'  bear_rolleyes   And it might be a good idea to get in some cheapo small bears to shove into the little ones' hands as they come through the door. 

The thing is, what would parents do with their children if they were viewing fine art on display?  Say nothing but paintings?  How different would that tone be?  This is what's hard to get across.  And think the main thing that I keep hearing over and over is how the parent interacts with the child.  If the parent is really being a parent, that can make the whole show enjoyable for everyone, but if the kid's being a brat and the parent is not correcting or removing that child, I agree, most times they really aren't a collector and will not show respect for your items as well. 

When I owned a shop that dealt with tropical fish, indoor plants and small birds, I actually had to ban children under the age of five!  And it was not because of the children, it was because the 'parents' were not parenting.  At all!  Some of the plants we had for sale were poisonous cacti with very large spines.  One 'mother' almost impaled the nine month old boy on her hip because she was raging at my husband over the sign saying she could not bring her baby in.  bear_shocked  The woman I was with was as concerned as I was as this young mother stood there, baby's head just inches away from a very large, dangerous spine.  When I calmly explained that that was the reason we had banned the children, she still refused to move.    bear_angry   How can you be so careless with your own child's safety like that?  bear_angry  And yet time and time again I saw parents that would let their children toddle towards the very busy highway, or wobble near the cacti.  I couldn't stand the stress. 

Bottom line is, it takes a parent to raise the child.....not someone adult in denial wanting to pretend they are still a teenager, ignoring their child.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Here is a thought:

The show I'm involved with that has a high number of children in attendance is in a tourist area. The kids that come are with their parents on vacation, for many it's the first time in the area, and they are looking for things to entertain their kids. So, I deal with a LOT of "not children of artists or collectors" who don't know how to behave and their parents don't know what they are walking in to. (This is where they don't read beyond "Teddy Bear Show" in ads they see.) We want them to have fun, enjoy the experience, seek out bear shows when they return home and hopefully leave with a special new bear. But it does take patience, a quick education at the admission table and sometimes a lot of tolerence on behalf of the artists and the other collectors.

I'm guessing that MOST of the time, at MOST shows, the kids in attendance are indeed children of artists and collectors. You have all shared how well behaved your kids are at shows and of course they are. You are all compassionate about the art and have taught your children well.
bear_flower

But there is another group that we won't hear from here.... the passers by who come to the show out of curiosity and for their children's entertainment. Those kids are different.... so are their parents. They require "special attention and care", aren't the perfect little angels that all of your children are... not in the setting of an artist teddy bear show any way. That's not to say that they are helliuns.... simply that extra steps are helpful to ensure their enjoyment along with everyone elses. A little teddy when they come through the door, stickers are a great idea too. Handi-wipes. Booths with special goodies just for kids. And a quick mention to parents that this show is for them too... that most of the bears are handmade collector pieces and they'll be amazed at the details and work that goes into them. (This usually gets the point across.)
bear_original

So I guess given the demographics for one of my shows and my experiences, I come at this from a different point of view. And mind you, I took that show over 3 years ago... it's been going on for 16 years. I didn't choose the location!
bear_laugh

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

This is such a great topic!
I am a newbie to TT so I hope you don't mind that I answer this one too. Also although I am a newbie here I am certainly not a newbie to craft shows or bear shows. My mother was a bear maker and we attended LOTS of bear shows together. Similar to many of the previous posters' kids, I would sit under the table and play quietly, I would help to package sold bears, I would eat snacks and wash my hands constantly. I would NEVER touch a bear unless I was told it was ok as per my mother's discipline. I always knew the difference between a toy store teddy and a real artist bear. I grew to LOVE bears and excelled past my mother in her bear making. She made them to make money; I make them because I love them!  bear_wub Honestly, I still go to bear shows with that same wild-eyed, in awe, and amazed look in my eye. It reminds me of all those times that I went as a kid and all of the beautiful art that I saw.

With that said, I agree with many of you that children should be allowed. I also agree that those parents that really aren't parenting and just letting their children run wild will probably not be a buyer and won't respect your work either. I had seen that many times with my mom's table. I think Debbie's idea of having the small bits of fur to touch is ingenious and I also love the idea of giving the children something (a small teddy, trinket, stickers) to have in their hand from the get go to reduce sticky fingers on the art bears.

Thanks everyone for a great discussion and I hope it was ok that I replied! It's nice to go above and beyond the normal baby talk here with my toddler and actually get a chance to use my brain!  bear_tongue  :crackup:

:hug:  Welcome to Teddy Talk Alexis!!  Its great to hear your views  bear_flower

I think it would be pretty cool if people would use their mohair scraps as well.   bear_original   I mean, when I first heard the word 'mohair' I thought 'what on earth??'  bear_wacko   But getting to pick up the fabric, and see how the hair is woven into the backing like that ~ it brings new respect for the work that goes into these teddies just as much as the bit of real fur would.  The collector could understand what the fabric looks like, and how the different weaves and textures affect the end results of the bears you create.   And everyone has scraps  bear_grin   It doesn't take much to place them out there with a label on it.  They make fantastic educational tools.

Pages:

Board footer