Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Pages:
Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

As for me, I have no kids (cept furry ones.. lol) but I don't mind kids at shows as long as they are not running wild or not being watched. I don't mind if older kids handle the bears, they can be collectors or future collectors too.. I remember my first show when I was around 14 years old and I doubt anyone expected someone my age to have hundreds of saved dollars to buy bears.. heehee.

Hugs!
Melanie

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I see the dilemma Daphne, I suppose you would need to stress and  highlight collectable bears in the entrance, it would be a shame to have to highlight on all stalls that bears are not to be handled without permission,  and the old saying if broken consider it sold. Maybe even a quick survey before they enter the show, or a quick preview on slideshow/ visual ad with sound,  before they enter may highlight the quest that collectable bears are handled far differently than a toy bear for general play.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Having had many children bear_laugh  I have taught mine to respect all my bear making things and bears and my 3 year old knows to be really careful if he holds one of my bears.I do feel a bit guilty taking the bear back from him when he says "I love him" and doesn't want to part with it.
I would take my children into a show if they wanted to go and they would know not to touch anything but as to taking children to the show when you are an exhibitor I wouldn't want to do that as especially having boys I know that they would not want to sit still for the whole length of a show and I wouldn't expect them to.
I took my 9 year old with me last year to the Norwich show but I knew that my daughter would take him into town for a while to keep him amused.
Laurie :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Karen, Great ideas! Along those lines I was thinking yesterday about setting up a display with a visual diagram (complete with mohair parts and real jointing materials) of all the components that go into a bear. A fact list on how many parts the average ARTIST bear has, what moahir is, etc., borrow Debbie's idea and have mohair and alpaca swatches out for folks to touch (might even include on the label what the current price per yard is!) and so on. I've found in the past that the men tend to like to see that sort of thing... the "how it's made" stuff. Kids will love seeing the diagram and all the parts and playing with the mohair swatches and parents will get the idea that this show does not feature your typical manufactured bear. Still working on the details of the display but I'm all for educating people while making it fun so we'll see how it goes!
bear_original

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

my good friend ( and talented artist!) Nancy Edmunds made us a real cute SEE THROUGH bear for the hugging bear classes..it was made just as you usually would but of clear platic ( a pain to sew she said) but you could see all his insides! joints stuffing etc! very neat!
deb

Pages:

Board footer