Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

The eyes, ears, nose question was great! 
Here's another I've been wondering about.  What do you attach first, the arms or the legs?
Maybe a really dumb question.  Sorry if it is.  Blame it on me being a newbie. bear_whistle

Laura bear_flower

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I attach legs, right then left, arms, right then left, and then the head.

It's always fun to hear how other people work.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I always attach the head first, then the arms and then the legs.  It will be interesting to hear what other girls do, I had never thought of going from bottom up!!!!  Perhaps it saves the bear the indignity of watching itself being "jointed".

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Legs... right then left.
Then arms... right then left.
(Just like Marlys!)
Head is already attached. I'd never get the arms in the right place otherwise as I don't mark the body/pattern for joint location... I eyeball it. bear_whistle

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

I always attach the head first, then the legs, then the arms.  I found early on that, because of my 'filling hole' placement on the back of the bear, if I do the arms first, the darned joints get in the way when trying to do the legs.  Hence, legs first!  ....and (I think) I do left leg, right leg, left arm, right arm always. Dunno why though!

Kimberly W.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

The head is totally completed first thing, then attached to the body.  Next is right leg, right arm, then left leg, and left arm is last.  Don't ask me why - guess it's a sort of ritual that I've fallen into and can't change.  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Head first then legs and arms.  It helps to put the head on first so that there is more room for your fingers.  I used to attached the arms first and then I would have problems fitting the neck joint in!

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

I attached the head first, than the arms and last the legs.
manuela

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Laura,
Always head first, then come the legs, lastly the arms. I've always done it this way, but do how you feel the best .
Love kayx.

wilma Posts: 51

I start with the head, then the legs and then the arms like I see a lot of you do. I put the filling hole rather high on the back or sometimes on the front on a 3 piece body so after I do the arms I won't be able to do the legs as there is not enough space left. I really don't know whether I start with the right or the left leg and arm... I'm gonna check next time I put a bear together...

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Head First, then eyeball the right arm, left arm, so I can finally eyeball the right leg and left leg......It's fun to watch bears expression as he sees himself being put together  :crackup:

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I'm like many of you: I put the completed head on the body first, then I attach the legs, then the arms. If I did the arms before the legs, the joint disks and hardware would get in the way while I try to attach the legs. I do mark the limb positions on my patterns; I can't imagine eyeballing it! bear_wacko

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Completed head first (except ears are pinned because sometimes the 'look' changes when the whole bear is together bear_whistle ), arms (placement measured after the heads on) and then legs a couple of days later...I hate doing foot pads so I put it off as long as possible!
Cheryl bear_flower

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Well, good grief, I've been doing it all wrong. I will have to try it your way with attaching the head first and see if I have an easier time.

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

I always eye ball mine too. But I do the legs first then arms.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I always attach the head first, then the legs and then the arms.  Then I stuff, and a lot of the time I have to unstuff and reposition arms or legs again to make them just right.
Joanne

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

The head first.
Then the legs and then arms
:hug:

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

head, arms then legs..jointing is probably my least favorite part of bear making..my joints are nearly always loose and end up slightly crooked or too far forward or back..but reading in here has made me anxious to try again and shave off the fur under the disk and see if that helps with being loose...and the rest of my problems i guess I just need to practise a lot more..thats one thing i love about doing minis..i can just string joint!!
Kerrilyn

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

I have always gone from the botton up, -- legs, arms, head. But after reading this I thought, hmm what if the head first is easier. Tried it last night, nope not for me. I actually found it a little more difficult to get the arm joints in with the head in the way.  Maybe I'm just used to my way.  And nose stitching is the last thing for me before aging the muzzle again.  I think I will try the nose before the eyes once just to see if it is any different.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I attach the head first.  Then I can measure for the placement of the arms.  Lastly, I attach the legs.  Sometimes I attach the arms and legs and finish stuffing after everything is attached.  But most of the time I attach the head, then the arms and stuff and sew them shut.  Then attach the legs and stuff and sew them shut.  Then I stuff the body.

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

That would be the next question. Do you stuff the legs and arms before attaching or after? I used to attach first and then stuff but have found it much easier to stuff and then attach. I guess it's just a matter of preference. Although my family does not like to see the bear limbs lined up on the table after I put the fray check around the cotter pin, they think it's creepy.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I always complete the head, then the body. I like to fully stuff the limbs before attaching them, usually the legs first and then the arms. I often don't even draw out the whole pattern, just the head cause if I don't like the head....

Marion

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Head first, then arms, followed by the legs, if I do the legs first there isn't enough space left to attach the head and arms without pulling and stretching :doh:   Funny about the joint marks, I eyeball too and thought I was the only one  bear_whistle

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I do head first, then legs, then arms.... sometimes I switch it around though, depending on the space I have to work in (mini's I'll often do the arms first).  Always the head first though.  I too eyeball the joint placement.  And I stuff the legs & arms partially, then joint, then finish stuffing. 

Neat to read the different preferences!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

This is so interesting to see how everyone does it!

I create the head and complete it first (most of the time... sometimes the ears must wait) 

I attach the head, then the arms - legs last.

I used to joint everything and then stuff, but I had a harder time closing the seams of the limbs.  So now I stuff first, joint last.

Board footer