Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

I have been trying to make some child-safe bears lately and I honestly haven't used plastic eyes or joints in so long. Here is my problem...After using all those beautiful glass eyes it's hard for me to use plastic eyes. They seem to have no life. Are there any tricks to jazz them up so they look less plastic but would still be safe for kids? Thanks for any help!

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

hmmm.Im not sure..youre going to have to experiment..I'd try clear nail polish or varnish to see if the extra shine makes them look any better..or rub them with very fine sandpaper to make them look boot buttony..good luck!!
Kerrilyn

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

Try eyelids ???

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Kerrilyn- I was thinking clear nail polish too! Hmmm! I wonder if it will peel off in time though. Yuck!

Manuela- Yes, I was thinking about applying eyelids and maybe even adding whites under them. I am still so unsure!

Thanks to you both!

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I recently saw a bear with plastic safety eyes that I had to double check before I was sure they were plastic.  They were beautiful & very realistic.  But I don't know where you'd buy them, so I guess I'm not much help.  Maybe a google search would come up with them....?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Alexis,
I know how you feel about the plastic eyes...however,there are some really good plastic eyes out there that have quite a bit of detail. 

Nail polish would give a nice shine but it may also eat and corrode the plastic.

You could also try needle sculpting nice deep sockets and create eyelids.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Oh, one more thing....
What I think matters even more than the eye itself is the direction of the gaze.  Get that accurate and almost any eye will look nice. bear_flower

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Thanks Judi! I appreciate your comments! I think that is just what I am going to do! I am going to make some nice eyelids and get the eyes positioned properly! Thanks so much!

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

ive used sculpty air dry glaze before on plastic eyes...makes them real shiney, but im not sure how long it would last or if it might eat into the plastic over time so check first bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Good luck Alexis.   I hope you'll  share your pictures when you're done. bear_original  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

What I think matters even more than the eye itself is the direction of the gaze.  Get that accurate and almost any eye will look nice.

Oh, YES, Judi! I couldn't agree more! When using onyx beads or boot buttons, we haven't had to even think about that, but with pupils—even the slightest difference in angles that they're set at makes them look 'off'.
VERY noticeable, and one of those things that you 'can't quite put your finger on' but know that somethings' off....

Board footer