Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

OK, so I finally finshed a few bears that I like - after many months of rejects.  Now - I bought a new airbrush a couple months ago............  a rather expensive one.  I spent over $250.00 on the airbrush and a new compressor and other stuff and just tried to use it yesterday.  It is an IWATA.  supposed to be top of the line.  Anyway, I run cleaning fluid through it to get out all the little particles from the manufacturing like it said to do in the instruction manual.  Then I load my black/brown paint and try testing it.  Plop plop plop.  Drips and paint spatters all over the paper I am testing on.  And as soft as I try to be on the trigger, the paint is coming out very fast and heavy.  I am just having no luck with airbrushes lately.  I read in the manual that drips can be caused if the paint is too thin.  I am using Dye-na-flow.  Anyone have any ideas?  And how do you make paint thicker if that is indeed the problem here?

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Hi Connie, I use the Dye Na Flow and I haven't had trouble with it even when I thinned it down.. is your compressor pumping out enough pressure? Not enough air pressure can also cause blobbing (very technical heh)
  Do you have a dual action airbrush?  Does it have a little knob on the end to adjust paint flow as well as the trigger?
   I am sure Judi will have some more and probably better ideas, my Airbrush education was quite a while ago so I don't have a lot of technical things I remember hehe.
   Once you master it, you will love it I promise!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Sorry to hear you've had problems Connie.  I used my airbrush pen for years until I dropped it and cracked the barrel (!) so I bought another pen on Ebay and had the same problems you are experiencing.  It was so frustrating because I needed the pen to have a finer control than the new pen seemed to offer ... so I hunted around on the internet and bought a replica of my original pen and now I'm back to being able to use it again.  I don't know anything much about it, but I do wonder if certain pens work better for certain jobs?  With luck Judi can enlighten us!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

if you look under the library link at the top of this page you can find all kinds of threads that talk about airburshing.  It was all that we talked about for about a month a couple of years ago, or at least it seamed that way to me.

Board footer