Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I'm off to the Disney Show tomorrow and I've just started to pack. Times change  bear_rolleyes  I suppose it's a combination of moving across country, CT-Seattle,WA, and a basic life change but I DON'T know what to wear anymore! I've always kept a basic group of "show clothes" but now, looking at them, I just have to laugh bear_tongue they're straight out of the 80's and funky even then! I have a lot of dark clothes that were oversized even back in the 80's. I really should have thought of this sooner. I guess I've been so busy in the last hmmm 10 years that I have totally ignored my wardrobe. OR maybe it's that other night when I caught a glimpse of the "What Not To Wear" Show  bear_shocked Any tips on show clothes/ Even though it's too late for me!
Karen

Princess4Paws Princess4Paws Designs by Marge Wiese
Apopka, FL
Website

Hi Karen,

I don't have any tips, except that comfortable shoes are a must!  Crocs work well.  We are going to be in the upper 80's to 90's here in central Florida this weekend, so dress light!  I look forward to seeing your wonderful creations when I visit the show on Saturday.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Marge,
Please come and see me! Yes, I will be dressing light. Took a while, but I put together some clothing. More importantly, I'll have some really new and different pieces on my table. I think this will be some of my best work for this year. I worked really hard on these Disney creations.
Karen
P.S. Your work is wonderful. Such great detail!

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I'm thinking something black, low cut and slinky, with a stole made of clasped white Persians and your hair up in chignon with a kitten climbing through it. . .

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_laugh Kelly Dean,
I'm in the 80's and you're back in the 1940's bear_happy  Wasn't that Audrey Hepburn? I'm very flattered but I don't think I could pull it off.
Karen

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

sorry. . .I know, I fogot you have short hair. . . you'll never get it up in a chignon. 

maybe a kitten tiara?  2 kittens argent clasping a TOBY?

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Thanks for keeping it light  bear_happy WE need to smile,
I happen to know that you dress VERY well at shows! At least the shows I have seen you at long ago!! Hopefully, you haven't fallen apart since way back when  :whistle:
Karen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Layers..... you never know if your table will be right under that AC vent in the ceiling or by a window where the hot sun is pouring in or....

A persian stole could come in quite handy! bear_grin

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Kelly said

I'm thinking something black, low cut and slinky, with a stole made of clasped white Persians and your hair up in chignon with a kitten climbing through it. . .

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
Now that I would love to see!

Like Daphne said, layers are a great way to go. You can peal off layers and comfortable shoes are a must, there's nothing worse than sore feet.

Have you show-cased any of your show pieces? I must go check.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=23875  maybe you should hire this puppy that Sue Ann posted hehe

love the layers thing though, knowing a bit about heat its so important to be able to cool off if need be...Good Luck at Disney Karen!!!!!!  And have FUN  :dance:

Narrowsburg, New York
Website
KJ Lyons wrote:

Hopefully, you haven't fallen apart since way back when  :whistle:
Karen

:redface: thanks. . . actaully, I'm about 50 pounds light than I was at my. . um. . .peak, 5 years ago, so it's a whole differerent wardrobe, but I still firmly believe in dressing well, whatever the occasion (my personal clothing philosophy is that you should always look presentible enough, that, if your car broke down and you had to hitch-hike, people would want to stop and help you)

(ditto traveling and airports.  I think you get a much better response from ticket agents, stews, doormen, bellhops, etc if you look like you might have enough power or money to cause trouble.  sweats & a t-shirt don't impress or intimidate no one and cashmere is just as comfortable  :dance:

and you should always carry one of your bears when you fly, the biggest one possible - and a stack of business cards (karen, you can carry a cat)  it's a great ice-breaker & starts many a conversation, esp when he rides through the scanner  ;-)

(ps: the pic under my avatar is me on the way to London. 2 31" suitcases that weigh about 100# each - I always have to pay extra - a rolling laptop case, a carryon and a 15# teddy bear. )

(personally, I find travel exhuasting  :crackup: )

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

... a decent lippy and flats.  Works for me! bear_tongue

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

Paula, I don't know what a 'lippy' is, but you always look fantastic. :clap:

Kent
Website

Kelly Dean, you ol' flatterer! :redface:  bear_flower   

For future reference and just in case you ever come to need this most important piece of feminine knowledge, 'lippy' is a girl's best friend ... lipstick! bear_tongue  bear_grin

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
All Bear wrote:

... a decent lippy and flats.  Works for me! :P

ROFL here just trying to imagine myself going to EXPO in just a decent lippy (I'm thinking that's lipstick) and flats.  It would be an EXPOSITION that's for sure!

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

l :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: Lisa, I was thinking the same thing myself. . . and here I thought Paula's booth was always so mobbed because her bears are so wonderful . .

DebbieD Posts: 3,540
kellydean wrote:

, but I still firmly believe in dressing well, whatever the occasion (my personal clothing philosophy is that you should always look presentible enough, that, if your car broke down and you had to hitch-hike, people would want to stop and help you)

(ditto traveling and airports.  I think you get a much better response from ticket agents, stews, doormen, bellhops, etc if you look like you might have enough power or money to cause trouble.  sweats & a t-shirt don't impress or intimidate no one and cashmere is just as comfortable  :dance:

:crackup:  :crackup:   Kelly this is my own hubby's personal philosophy!  We could be out hiking in the middle of nowhere and he'd still be brushing his hair and remaining pristine with his clothing  bear_whistle   Can't say I live up to that expectation, though.

Comfort remains the key.  Be sure whatever clothing you take along is clothing you trust and have worn before.  Nothing worse than having to wait it out with a pair of shoes that blister or clothing that suddenly becomes binding in the mid afternoon.   bear_tongue

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I just read thru these posts and had myself a good laugh this morning. REALLY just lipstick and flats, I would think Mohair would be appropriate!!! bear_tongue
You guys crack me up.
Karen you'll look great no matter what I am sure, but the lipstick is always right!!

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

maybe lipstick, flats and a really well-placed teddy?  (teddy bear, that is)

Kent
Website

Got it in one Mr Dean! :crackup:

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

with a stole made of clasped white Persians

And I immediately imaged the shot in Disney's Lady & The Tramp, when the 2 conniving Siamese locked tails behind Auntie's back as she carried them up the stairs, after getting Lady blamed for the damages done....

THAT would make SOME STOLE, worn front or back!!!

Kent
Website

I think we are on the verge of a breakthrough in bear artistry here ... an entire new show uniform is almost designed and ready to 'wear'! bear_grin

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

sigh. . . .I know, I know. . .Paula, I thought we were really onto something too. . . but a decent lippy & flats would never work for me . . .

no one would ever see the lippy under my mustache

and upon refelection, I see that I was totally wrong about Karens outfit.  I can't believe I made such a gaffe!

it's absolutely the wrong season to wear white Persian.  she's going to have to try Siamese or Abyssinian. 
(I think calico would be pretty, but calico seems a little. . . you know . .. casual.  I think I'd like to see calico with jeans or khaki's ;-)

personally, I'd love to dress like my bears, but I'd die of heatstroke at a show.  they wear so many layers of wool, cashmere silk and fur and I'd be tripping over those tails all the time. . .

dylan_small.jpg

I think I've got something slinky that might work for Paula, though. . .

white_babe_full_1.jpg

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I'm in jeans this morning ... it's casual Friday at my 'office' ... but I'm still a bit chilly. Knowing now that it's an appropriate outfit coordinate, I'm going to run up and grab my calico wrap so I'm more comfortable. Just one question, Kelly: the cats tend to squirm a bit, making it hard to type. Do you settle them down with sleeping pills in their milk or a bop to the head?

bear_original Mindy

PS: Shows are where we do business, just like an office, so I always wear business clothes for shows -- trousers or skirt, blouse, and nice shoes, with an optional jacket for those frigid ballrooms. I like to see artists dress professionally for shows -- to me, it shows respect for themselves and their collectors and helps portray their work as something serious. Right or wrong, people do judge based on clothing and appearances, and a nice outfit can sometimes tip the balance in your favor.

And to second Kelly's thought, nice-looking clothes don't have to be uncomfortable. If they fit well and you choose your shoes carefully, you'll be just as comfortable in trousers as you are in jeans. And look much nicer.

Of course, if having blue hair and wild clothes is part of your artistic persona, you should ignore all of the above, except the part about the calico wrap. Buy four of those, with a matching nose ring.

puca bears puca bears

MINDY
did you get to meet Barbara-Ann?????????
huggies
Maria
confirmed jeans wearer.........

Board footer