Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Karon Posts: 751

Do any of you out there know what has happened to the pioneer of Teddy Bear Artistry and auther, Ted Menton.

I used to love reading his books and looking at photos of his wonderful bears.

Has he retired from bear making or is he not with us any more,

I would be interested in finding out.

Karon

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Karon: I wondered about him too. I only have one of his teddy bear making books and love it....

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

He sells on ebay under the Custom Chic store title . . . mostly dolls and doll accessories.  However, awhile back he was selling off part of his bear collection and I bought a couple.  Don't know if he continues to make bears regularly, or not, although it hasn't been too long ago that I saw one of his in a "My Friends and Me" advertisement in one of the bear mags.

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

According to the email I got today, he's house bound much of the time due to his health.  He told me he has recently started making bears again and putting them on ebay.   :clap:  So, if you are a Ted Menten fan like most of us, keep an eye out for them.  I told him that I missed seeing him at shows and he says he misses everyone in the bear world too.   bear_original

Thankyou ladies for your information.

Sue, please pass onto Ted the best wishes of his legions of fans.  His books used to really make me laugh.  He has such a sense of humanity.

His true story of a bear called Grumpy Ed has me switching between tears and laughter every time I read it!  He is also such a true artist.

One of my biggest regrets is that I never did a Ted Menton workshop - what an experience that must have been.

Bear Hugs

Karon

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I was fortunate to do a Ted Menten workshop in Dallas, circa 1997.  He is definitely an original!  A truly multi-talented human being.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I wonder if he will give another workshop? Does anybody know?

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I went to one lecture by Ted Menton and took one pattern design workshop - way back in the early days - and I just learned so much it was incredible. I also have several of his books, and that Grumpy Ed story is great, Karon!

Hi Edie, Sue Ann and Michelle,

My how I ENVY you going to Ted's workshop - I am sure it was FANTASTIC.

Ted came to the UK several times to do workshops - how I wish I had attended one.

Have either of you ever attended a workshop with Joan Woessner - she was another one of the early bear makers and a great artist.  She came to England in the late 90's together with Steve Schultte.  Fantastic workshop, great lady with a wealth of PATIENCE!

Michelle - ONE Ted Menton book is not enough - go on Amazon and get some of the others.

Edie - do you remember the story Ted tells of a bear called "Shrug" who's has one arm higher than the other - hilareous!

Karon

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

Oh, you should see Joan Woessner's mice!!!  They are adorable!  Her house is decorated with bears and antiques and it's wonderful!  I know she moved to a bigger house since I last visited her home.  I can imagine it's even better than the last one!  She still does shows here in California. 

Susie

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I've taken a class with Joan Woessner. She was a great teacher, and her hubby was a lot of fun too. bear_smile

theKeepMeCo. Posts: 185

I am glad to hear that Ted is getting back into bears but sorry to hear that his health keeps him home much of the time. I loved reading his books. My favorite bear that I own is a Ted Menten Hug bear produced by Applause. I am glad I saw this post, because I've often wondered if Ted was still active in the bear world.
-Lynnette

Krys SoCal

Joan and Mike Woessner have a fantastic house! They have literally decorated it from top to bottom! bear_thumb Bears, dolls, plates, lots of antiques (they used to own antique stores). If I find the pictures I'll post some. I've taken a class with Steve Schutt and his teaching background really shows. He was so patient with this reluctant newbie.

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Ted will be a guest speaker during the Christmas In July Online Teddy Bear Show and Conference.
The conference happens from July 24 -27 on North Country Teddy Bears and features workshops, doorprizes and awesome show, Bingo game, pin, ATC and supply swaps, Live Chat and more.

Ted will be a guest speaker in one of the forums on Friday, July 25th at 6:00pm EST.
You'll need to register for the forum, but it's easy and it's free.

Again...6:00 PM EST on Friday. 

He's got a wealth of knowledge to share and is a lot of fun to talk with!
If you were a Ted Menten fan like I was (he was my teddy bear making idol when I started out)  then you'll want to join in fur sur!

hugs,
nt

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

I, too, adore Ted Menten's bears, and his humor.  So glad to hear he's making some bears again, and of his participation in the upcoming on-line teddy bear show.
Sorry to hear he's in poor health.  I wish him well.
He is truly an inspiration.
Wish he'd join this forum.  Wouldn't that be neat!!!
Laura  bear_flower

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia
ArtHeart wrote:

Ted will be a guest speaker during the Christmas In July Online Teddy Bear Show and Conference.
The conference happens from July 24 -27 on North Country Teddy Bears and features workshops, doorprizes and awesome show, Bingo game, pin, ATC and supply swaps, Live Chat and more.

Ted will be a guest speaker in one of the forums on Friday, July 25th at 6:00pm EST.
You'll need to register for the forum, but it's easy and it's free.

Again...6:00 PM EST on Friday. 

He's got a wealth of knowledge to share and is a lot of fun to talk with!
If you were a Ted Menten fan like I was (he was my teddy bear making idol when I started out)  then you'll want to join in fur sur!

hugs,
nt

Like you Nancy I am a keen Ted Menten fan and would have so loved to be a part of this weekend. However, family committments have to be met and we will be up the bush celebrating my mother's birthday...NO COMPUTER AT HER HOUSE!  bear_sad

Good luck with the show, I'm sure it will be a great success!

Board footer