Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Doll1bweb.jpgI can't believe that:

A) I made a DOLL!!!! (I've NEVER liked dolls! Yeah, yeah, never say never I guess!)

B) That I'm actually showing you my very first attempt at making a cloth doll!

But here she is.... all 11.5 inches of her! She doesn't have a name.

Her mouth is too low, I've got to work on my stuffing techniques and I wish I'd weighted her bum so she'd sit without putting up a fuss!
The next one I make (I'm going to make MORE!!?????) will have a painted face. Just going to keep experimenting!

She's an adaptation of a pattern by Bowls -n- Annies.

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

i think she's georgous  bear_wub
Yes definitely make some more

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

She's fun Daphne!  I really like cloth dolls and yours has a heap of cute appeal.  Love that bubbly hairdo!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I don't usually go for dolls as I am a bear person but I do love the cloth dolls and I love your first attempt-she is lovely bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Laurie :hug:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Well I LOVE HER!!!   :dance:  :dance:  :dance:   She's soooo cute, can't wait to see some more - they're as addictive as bears once you start!!   bear_tongue   And for a first attempt she's amazing - good for you!!   bear_thumb  :hug:  :hug:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

She is really sweet - is she going in your Etsy Shop?

For some reason I did the same last week - made an elf from Jennifer Laing's book. He is now my sister's Good Housekeeping Fairy.

Marion

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow, you guys know how to boost the confidence level!!! Thank you!  :hug:

I can't wait to make more and play with ideas and mediums..... in between bear orders and show prep of course!  bear_happy

Marion - no, she won't be going in my Etsy shop... as the very first I think I'll keep her. But Etsy is exactly where I'll sell future dolls! bear_thumb

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

nandesign Posts: 361

Hi Daphne...how cute! Very sweet little face. Great job for your first little doll...the first of many! I know, perish the thought!!

Hugs, Nancy bear_flower

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Mwaaahahaaa!!!  Oh Daphne - you're on the slippery slope now!!!  Once that doll-making urge gets hold of you, there's no escaping.  And I'm trying not to hate you - that's your FIRST attempt????  Boy, I'm not sure the world is ready for when you really get into your stride then!!! bear_grin  bear_grin

Seriously, she's very sweet - and will look sooo cute nestled in the arms of one of your bears at your next show.  Just be prepared to have to take a gazillion orders off of her!!!
Hugs,
Chrisx

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Daphne, she's adorable. Like you, I've never been interested in making cloth dolls even though there used to be regular classes at my quilt shop...even classes by epb, too...but it just didn't interest me. But I've been thinking of trying this, too. It takes a while for somethings to sink in.

She's cute and fun and I think you did a wonderful job.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Chris - I've been reading up and sketching and planning and scheming for weeks on this doll thing. I've never made clothes of any sort before so was rather concerned about that. Now I'm designing clothes in my head too!!! Thanks for the compliments. Orders??? Good lord, NO!!! I don't even like BEAR orders!! LOL!!

Nancy - Thank you! I'm lookign so forward to having your dolls the show!!

Marlys - EPB's dolls wouldn't excite me... not my style... and I think that's what it was for me.... not seeing a style I liked until recently then I got inspired!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

What a darling, delightful doll Daphne!!! (couldn't resist the opportunity for alliteration bear_grin )
She is perfect---her low mouth has great folksy appeal!
And I agree with Clare and Christine--making dolls is as addictive as making bears!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL Daphne!!!  I TOLD you she was wonderful  bear_wub

nandesign Posts: 361

Thank-you Daphne...I am looking forward to being there through my dolls!

Hugs, Nancy

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Daphne, I love her.  bear_wub  I love her little face and I agree with Tami 

her low mouth has great folksy appeal!

I plan to make rag dolls again. I haven't made any for a lonnng time but I have bought the fabric and just need time to get going on them.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

She's very cute, Daphne! Good job stepping into another world. :clap:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Sorry Ellen! bear_tongue

I was a "tomboy" too growing up. I chopped my Barbie's hair into a nice bob...... and then lost all interest. The few dolls I had laid naked at the bottom of my toy box. I LOVED my stuffed animals!!!! In all the childhood pictures of me I'm ALWAYS holding a stuffie... usually a little dog named "Coco". Both of us were forever covered in dirt. I remember the first time Coco had a bath in the washer...... that was horrific!

I'll be careful about my thread titles in the future........ must start thinking very hard on the next one!  bear_grin

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

She is beautiful Daphne.  I think you have a natural talent for these dolls !  I look forward to seeing more.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I am glad that I wasn't the only one Daphne who thought that the only use for  Barbie dolls was to chop their hair off bear_grin
Laurie :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

She's darling!!  I love what you used for her hair.....very sassy!!  Bears and dolls go so well together too.   bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

What a sweetie! You have a flair for doll making too I think. I was never much into dolls as a child but I do remember having a Pippa doll to play with (smaller version of Barbie I think), I would love to have a try at making one of these however. Uh oh! Must resist.....

Can't wait to see what you make next.  bear_original

Regards

Lisa

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I think she is as cute as a button and will keep any self respecting bear in fine company. bear_thumb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Love your Doll Daphne  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Board footer