Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

A friend of mine has asked me to make a bear to be put in an exhibition.

This bear has to have animatronics.

One of the ideas he suggested was for a zombie themed bear, where the head spins around when someone walks past or makes a loud noise.

Does anyone have any experience with things like this?

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

no sorry i dont have any experience with this, but i have for some time been thinking about attempting somthing similar

one idea could be to buy somthing that allready does what you want it to do ie. some item with motion sensors that spins and use the parts from it but i dont know how that idea would go with copyright laws?? the other way would require some sort of electronic knolage..for a full robot bear( i am a bit too ambitious at times  bear_grin ) youd have to know how to program chips and setup motors and lots of other stuff im sure i dont even know about yet  bear_tongue 

have you done any reasearch on the net about this? maybe there are basic kits of some kind avalible?

interestic topic bear_thumb  i'll be keeping an eye on this - lets hope someone else has better ideas for you tho, as i dont think ive been of any help :crackup:

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

hmm..interesting idea..i would go to an electronics store and ask their guru for help..or if there isn't an electronics store, try the local high school or university..there are always kids who know about that sort of stuff and they may be able to help you out...hope that helps and good luck..can't wait to see what you end up with!!!
Kerrilyn

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep trying to research it.

Puzzle Outer Eastern Melbourne
Website

I hope you don't mindme throwing my 2 cents in, being a new member, but I also suggest hitting up model and hobby shops. When I had to make a phoenix puppet for high school, Dad and I raided the nearby model aircraft store and used a wing wiring system to create the head movement. Perhaps you could use a very, very small model motor attached to a motion sensor?

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi,
Awhile back we discussed a mouth that would open and close.  But we did not go the extra step to make it automated.  I am wondering if they already have something in the doll world that could be incorporated.  Intriguing project, please let us see what you come up with.
Donna

Puzzle Outer Eastern Melbourne
Website

http://www.christiebears.co.uk/acatalog … Joint.html
I found this will Google-ing suppliers. Would this help?

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

hmmm. . . well, if i had to do a project like this one, I'd probably buy one of the many animitronic toys I see on the shelf at the toy stores for children, strip the fur/fabric/stuffing and use the animitronics underneath for my critter.  here in the US, I saw all kinds of these on the shelves at xmass - birds, cats, dinosaurs. . .  I don't think you'd need to worry about copyright laws, esp if you weren't trying to market the piece, you are only using the mechanics underneath and it's a commisioned project.

Board footer