Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Puzzle Outer Eastern Melbourne
Website

I hope you all don't mind me asking for some help, but I think I might be biting off more than I can chew with this project. I'm planning to create a 21" (to the head, 16" to the shoulders) "realistic" style maned-wolf. I was thinking of using gusset joints for the carpals and just below the pastern, above the paws on the forelegs to make them bend, as well as at the hock on the hindlegs, to create as realistic movement as possible.
But I was wondering whether these joints would affect the stability of the "bear" when she is standing. I am worried that the joints might cause her to crumple. I'm not a fan of armatures - looking at my fantastic failures in the past -  which is why I was considering gusset joints. If I make them rather shallow and tight, would this work?

I can post some sketches if what I'm explaining is as clear as mud.

As for the rest of her, I was considering a really, really simple armature (blergh) in the tail running into the back to allow movement of the tail, wired ears and, maybe, and opening and closing mouth. Big maybe. Oh, and I want to experiment felting her muzzle too.

I'd love to here your recommendations, and I promise to post pictures when Cheeva's finished. She's a special project of mine so I want to get her right.

Website

Pfft...And I completely forgot to say that I'd love to add her pattern as a freebie here if it works. And if people can make sense of my crazy dollmaking technique  bear_whistle

theKeepMeCo. Posts: 185

I have seen maned wolves at the zoo and they are very beautiful. I would love to see one in soft sculpture form! Not too sure what gusset joints are, but they sound interesting. Good luck with Cheeva, keep us updated on your progress!  bear_thumb
-Lynnette

Website

Thank you :D
I found out about the joint style here: http://www.clothdollcreations.co.uk/Anatomy/joints.htm They call them gusset hinges. I guess if I make them very, very strong they should be alright?  bear_ermm

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Not much help to offer but do thank you for the terrific link. I'm getting more and more interested in cloth dolls!

Marion

puca bears puca bears

Hi
I've only ever made polar bears "on all fours" - and they have rather chunky legs...........with a biggies like you are planning, and considering that wolves and dogs have more slender legs, I would be worried about the stability.
If it was me, I would go for armatures/wiring...........I normally use plastic coated copper wire, which comes in lots of different thicknesses...........but I guess experimentation is the order of the day!
Whatever you decide to use - GOOD LUCK - it should be an amazing wolf!
huggies
Maria

Website

Thank you all. She's shaping out well,  :pray:

Puca Bear: That's what I was worried about too. I have, at the moment, cut her out as a gusset hinge plush but, if worse comes to worse, I can reinforce the joints with wire. I ended up buying too much fur again, so there's enughleft over to re-do the legs worse comes to worse.

Merbear: bear_laugh No problem! I was redesigning my doll patterns and the design helped to experiment with the joints.

I'll be MIA over the weekend, so hopefully I'll have pictures next weekend of her progress.

Board footer