Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hmmph!  After a bad day yesterday, it was very nice to wake up and read your positive comments about my bears.  With the last three of my auctions failing to attract any interest on ebay and a little bit of a negative response from someone, I was feeling very down and disheartened about my bears and was pretty much ready to throw the towel in!!   :redface:

However, a good night's sleep and a stern talking to myself made me realise that I feel I am doing the right thing and heading in the right direction with my bears.  And if I am happy with them, that's what counts isn't it??  So I promise, no more negative and grumpy Melissa!  :lol:

This morning, I have been trying to figure out ways and means to get my bears "out there".  I just put a bunch of my bears on bearpile...and am going to try and get some made to submit to the mags  (though they've ignored every photo I've sent so far).  I would really appreciate if someone could send me the submission guidelines/address bit from the UK mags as they no longer import them into New Zealand and I sold all my old ones a few months ago (d'oh!).  I must start up a sub for one or two of thembut sheesh, converting pounds into NZ$ is scary!!!

I'm sure my mood wasn't helped by the fact that we had a team building day at work on Thursday which involved running around town pretending to be special agents and accosting strangers in the street.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Glad you feel better Melissa. Ebay is a mad place. Without sounding like' sour grapes' I have seen many bears sell for good money and you think they are not as good as others that don't sell. Its hit and miss. I have just finished a 3" bear and am very pleased with it but who knows. I will get it put on ebay this Sunday. I think you have to earn your stripes so to speak with the collectors. As to your' team building' its a load of b#'l;'#s, just go along with it and remember you are not on your own , we are all here to help and support you. Team Teddy Talk! bear_wub

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

HA HA AHAAHAHHAH  bear_laugh  bear_grin bear_laugh bear_grin

Your team building day sounds MAD Melissa -  i would have told them where to get off, but that's probably why i don't work for a company!

Sorry that eBay is'nt panning out for you at the moment - it sometimes goes like that - chin up

Sorry i can't help with the mag info as i don't get any of the beary mags

Penny  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ditto Amanda.  Melissa, we've all had a turn in the "downer dumpers"  . . .  I've had several myself.  Please know that all of us can empathize with you and support your efforts to pull out of those doldrums!  Just continue to believe in yourself and your bears (they ARE glorious) and you will make your way through!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Mellisa, now you listen here Girly! Your baby bears are wonderful and you are truly a talented artist. I understand how you feel about interest with bears and ebay. I too have a rotten time of it with ebay. I try to tell myself that is due to the fact that we are new to ebay and that it is not the bears.

We have decided to give ebay a rest for awhile as it was just costing to much money and we were not having much success. You are not alone. Also, never GIVE YOUR BEARS AWAY! What I mean is set a price that you can live with and if you dont get it at least you still have that wonderful little creature. I would feel worse to tell you the truth if I sold the bear on ebay for less than I was comfortable letting it go for.

Ebay shmebay!!! bear_cool bear_cool bear_cool Is what I say!

Many Hugs Louise

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Smooth sailing does not a skilled sailor make....or something like that.  Hang in there Melissa..we are are in the same boat   ( And what fun we can have too!).

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

thanks guys.    :love:
you are more than nice   :P

off to sew up my new design -I think it's going to be just over 2" eek!!!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Melissa

Listen to Louise and the others, they are right, don't sell yourself short, I've done that before and it's gutting!!

In fact I'm in danger of doing it again on ebay, I have to get rid of the bears, in my small house I just haven't got room to store them!!  bear_sad   I saved them all for my first show, but it turned into a disaster - so I need to shift them!   I don't have another avenue at present so this is it!!    bear_sad

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I understand your frustration...I just finished a wee one today from a pattern I've done several times...complete disaster...her legs are too low...her head is funky from needlesculpting...she ended up with dimples in the back of her head by her neck joint...and they show...so I've tied a big ol' bow around her neck and now she sits in the cabinet with my other little bears wondering what she did wrong.

So...I'm off to a bigger bear...

This too shall pass...or so they say!!!   :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh for goodness sakes Mellissa, Darlin you simply can not let any one's negative take on your bears get yu down.  Poo on them!

If your bears tend to be like your avatar-(too cute for words) then they simply are ignorant or jealous.  Believe they are jealous....it will help your ego.

It is difficult....as we all know.....but you keep plugging away....if you love this field and this is where your heart is, then honey it will show in your work and eventually the buyers will come.

They will

I promise

There isn't a one of us here who hasn't tried to second guess the buying public and wondered if we were doing the right thing. 

Don't give up on yourself-and as hard as it is keep smiling, and we wont give up on you- and it will all come out in the end!

Even the really big names in bears have had down days.  it'll get better.

Even the really really really BIG names had to start somewhere.

Now, dear heart, go hug a bear and try to remember that.

bear_wub :hug: bear_wub :hug: bear_wub

bear_tongue

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

clare14 wrote:

- so I need to shithem!  :(

HUH???   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Melissa,

Oooh dear - chin up!!!!  I know how disheartening it can be when one of your bears don't sell on eBay.  It's horrible!!!!

Please, don't EVER doubt your beautiful creations - they are gorgeous.  I really really want one !!

As for someone making a negative comment - ah don't worry about it. I just hope it wasn't someone from here!! 

Can't wait to see more of your creations!
Danni

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh SueAnn I know, I was typing away late last night and noticed that -  :redface:  I meant 'shift them'!!!   It would all go pear shaped and come out as THAT word wouldn't it!!!  Sorry, didn't mean any offence anyone!!   :doh:

bear_wub

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

LOL Clare, your error made me laugh out loud and that's no mean feat this morning, so thanks! (I'm full of grumpy hormones... bear_angry :D).

Melissa, your bears are just adorable and whatever eBay does or whatever anyone says you have to remember that! Tastes and trends on eBay are something I can never fathom. I was going to suggest BearPile but you're already doing that...hmm....why not try for bear/artist of the month on the TBCI site? (http://www.planet-teddybear.com/) They also have a 'contact us' page where you could e-mail and ask about magazine submissions? Hope this helps!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Melissa i have been trying to sell something on ebay for a few months  and i haven't sold a thing yet  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin :lol:but keep trying Fran

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Don't give up Melissa, your work is great, and Ebay is disheartening sometimes it doesn't matter what you sell on there, so don't give up try somewhere else to sell. 

Have you got a local teddy bear store where you can get your work out there.   Have you tried  Australian Bear Creations, I hear they have a new crew on board there as well.

Hang in there girl.  :hug:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Melissa, ditto to everyone !  :hug:
  your work is great and please don't ever doubt about your fabulous bears. :pray:

Hug/Marie

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Melissa, I don't have the addresses handy (and am up to my eyeballs in dust and decorating right this minute!) but if you pop along to my website www.allbear.co.ukyou'll find links to all three UK mags on my links page.  Hope that helps!

Good for you too for working hard to get 'em out there!!!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Hey Melissa,
Ebay is always hit or miss kind of proposition. Do not feel bad about a bear not selling. Your bears are adorable, you should be very happy about them. You are very talented.
I always have to just cross my fingers when I list something on Ebay. Sometimes they sell sometimes they don't . Right now I seem to be in a selling slump. :twisted:
I just keep trying.
Love and Hugs,
Kathy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I have said this before...it's a quote from Bill Cosby.  I think it is worth repeating:
He says,  "  I don't know the key to happiness, but I do know the key to failure...trying to please everyone."

You'll never please everyone.  There are some mean spirited people out there...I have run into a few myself...and it hurts when you receive an unkind email.  Think of three reasons why you may have recieved such an email....
for example:

1.) this person may have just heard some bad news and  needs to take it out on someone else.

2.)they may have just stepped on the scale that morning and found they gained five pounds

3.) they just opened the cupard and found out they only had a can of Spam to eat.

or...email them back and tell them to blow it out thier #&*!?@#!!!!

Hugs! :hug:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I am definitely for the last option!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kathy

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh Melissa  :hug:
Ebay is so tough sometimes and I've found it doesn't reflect at all on the bear.  Its just who is on...who is on holiday or short of cash.  Sometimes if I wait a few weeks and list again it works out better.

I haven't been on for a few days again, but the mean letter sounds awful bear_angry I've never had one biut know I would be devestated...big hugs sent your way okay... pretend it came from backwards land and don't worry about it  :whistle:

Can you contact Bear Creations?  Do they sell that over your way?  YOu can submit a project or give a bear away..all great advertising.  also, do you know anyone who owns a shop?  my sister is a photographer and owns her own studio.  I will be putting some of my bears on display there..and best thing its free and all profits are yours if you know the person...and it doesn't have to be a bear shop.

Good luck and you have lots of support here and your bears are gorgeous bear_original :rose:
Hugs Sarah

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Melissa, You bears are darling.  Dont give up.  did you get my email? jenn

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Don't give up. It can be hard. Selling anything can be hard. It just all depends on soo many things.
Your work is great, just keep at it.

Heather

Deb Upstate New York

Oh Melissa ...  :hug:

What everybody else said ~ lots of good advice here.

Board footer