Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Sarah-  you WONT be devastated, because you know how much support for you is out there in the great big world of ours. 

Now, you might be  bear_angry but not devastated. You might be   bear_sad but not devastated, you might be  :twisted: but not devastated...because you will keep on working and you WONT let the mean spirited nastys win!  Just like Melissa wont or any of the rest of us here. 

We CAN do this, and we know this because we have such kind and wonderful ladies willing to show us the way.....

So hang on to that.....non of us need feel devastated.....we can do this because the Judis, and Shellis, and Sue Anns, and Neysas and Louises and Penneys and all the others who have regular sales are there for US!

Now imagine that!

bear_tongue

Athina Posts: 17

Melissa: I just wanted to let you know your bears are Beautiful and you should be very proud.

I don't post here often but, I wanted to let you know these are what teddy bears should look like.

Have a happy Halloween! job well Done

Dawn

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

now I'm embarrassed for being a whining cry baby  :redface:

thanks guys...I have given my bears a kiss and a cuddle...big game fisherman kiss every fish before they throw it back in the ocean - maybe that's the secret to sending my bears out in the world  bear_grin

Thanks for the advice...and I shall be sure to follow up on it!

Hugs,
Melissa

ps.  no Danni, it wasn't anyone from here who was negative...is that even possible? bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Melissa, If you want to do a project for Bear Creations or Dolls, Bears and Collectables, email me and I'll give you the phone numbers of the editors.

I find its good publicity and I sell a limited edition kit with the project to pay for my time and effort.  Sometimes they do a profile on you as well, and that can be helpful to get your name 'out there'.

As for the negative comments...while they're talking about you, they're leaving someone else alone ;)

Glenys

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
Dilu wrote:

Sarah-  you WONT be devastated, because you know how much support for you is out there in the great big world of ours. 

Now, you might be  bear_angry but not devastated. You might be   bear_sad but not devastated, you might be  :twisted: but not devastated...because you will keep on working and you WONT let the mean spirited nastys win!  Just like Melissa wont or any of the rest of us here. 

We CAN do this, and we know this because we have such kind and wonderful ladies willing to show us the way.....

So hang on to that.....non of us need feel devastated.....we can do this because the Judis, and Shellis, and Sue Anns, and Neysas and Louises and Penneys and all the others who have regular sales are there for US!

Now imagine that!

:P

You are a very wise lady Dilu.  Here is a flower for you  bear_flower  I wish the meanies and people with their heart in the wrong place would just get over it already!!
Hugs Sarah  bear_original

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
melissa wrote:

now I'm embarrassed for being a whining cry baby  :redface:

thanks guys...I have given my bears a kiss and a cuddle...big game fisherman kiss every fish before they throw it back in the ocean - maybe that's the secret to sending my bears out in the world  bear_grin

Thanks for the advice...and I shall be sure to follow up on it!

Hugs,
Melissa

ps.  no Danni, it wasn't anyone from here who was negative...is that even possible? bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Oh so glad you are feeling better bear_original And don't  feel embarrassed...we are all here for you and understand. You were going through those feelings at that time and needed to talk.  We've all been there and need the same encouragement at times.  Support is a wonderful thing in the bear community, and as long as you are true to yourself you will always come out a winner, no matter what happens.  Remeber that...You will still have your bears and your love of bears and your friends here no matter how many you sell or what meanies are out there telling you otherwise.  I'm remembering those words now as I'm fighting a lot of health troubles yet again with myself and also with my close family..It doesn't matter if I don't sell again all year..I still have my bears and friends.  :rose:

Take care kiddo bear_original  And is it Rex Hunt?  lol weird guy lol
Hugs Sarah  :hug:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Mel, You are NOT whinning!  You just discouaged.  Remember You have laods of support. :hug: :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

My dear Melissa,
It's easy to be down on yourself when your work is not selling.  Been there, done that.....several times actually.  I think everyone here has been down that road at least once.  As far as eBay is concerned, try to look at it as an advertising expense if you can.  That's the only way I can stand to list there anymore.  My last two listings have been royal stinkers.....and the one I have up now isn't doing so hot either.  Yet, after auction the bears are usually snapped up on my web site at the same reserve price.  Go figure.   bear_rolleyes  For me, the key is linking my web site to eBay.  When I list on eBay I also try to list a bear or two on my web site at the same time.  Cross marketing!!

Ebay is an odd bird these days.  There is so much going on behind the scenes.  I think the shill bidding that's going on is deplorable.  Word of caution about private auctions.......steer clear.  I realize that by saying this I'll get a bad name from other artists.  But hey, I'm fed up with watching innocent collectors paying more than they should by artists who know those collectors have deep pockets.  It saddens me deeply that there are some really unscrupulous artists out there.  The fact that they get away with it just sickens me.  So, when you see some of the high prices artists are getting out there and you're feeling down on your sales, remember things aren't always as they seem.    bear_ermm  Sorry for the soap box lecture.....I'll hop down now.

Melissa, chin up my dear.  Your bears are a delight!  So what if you have more on hand than you'd like......it makes for a merrier tea party!!

Silly smiles and warmest bear hugs,
Aleta

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hi Aleta. I absolutely love that beautiful bear in your avatar. I think your advice is very helpful and encouraging. I don't however know what shill bidding is? I am alittle dumb when it comes to ebay and not very successful myself with it. But like you they often come to the site after and buy the bear and that always amazes me!
Are you new her! A very huge welcome to the forum. Your bears are absolutely georgeous!

Many Hugs Louise

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

My dear Louise,
Yep!  I'm a newbie here.  Thank you for your kind words about my bears.   :hug:  You're a peach! 

Shill bidding is using another I.D. or someone else to bid up the price of an item.  Artists know that this is happening on eBay but they are afraid to say anything for fear of retribution.  I think it's high time somebody said something.....I'll take the heat.  Collectors, insist on open auctions and really watch the bidding.

Warmest bear hugs,   :)
Aleta

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I'm new to teddy making.  I just finished my first one.  I know how daunting it is.  Jenn

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

In the nursimg world we call this 'venting' and it is a healthly practice.  It gets it off your chest and helps youto deal with your feelings and move on.

I have been with ebay for alomst six years and it has been a rollercoaster ride.  Very good at times, even spectacular at times...and sometimes down right disappointing.  Just right now it is at an all time low.  Things tend to swing like a pendulum and I believe ebay will get better again.  Even though some of there rules and policies and regulations are frustrating.  Hang in there!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I agree,I am definetly at an all time low right now and feeling horrible about it.I guess it happens and there is not much you can do.

Aleta,I am a huge fan of your adorable bears ,I can never afford artists bears and had hoped that someday I would be able to buy all the bears from the artist that I adore with all my profit from my own bears sales but that time has not arrived yet. I just adore your sweet avatar bear. Big bear huggy welcome to you and thanks for your thoughts on the ebay situation.It's so wonderful that we are all here to love and support each other.You couldn't ask for a better group to be part of.  bear_original  :hug:

Celena Oxford

Melissa, your bears are lovely, don't give up. 

There are ups and downs in life.  And at the moment it is down so  the only way now is UP for you.  Don't be discourage. Hang in there.

Warm regards
CElena

Wow Celena
How big is the bear in your Avatar?  She looks like a really big girl and she is so cute!

And welcome to the board by the way- I am remiss.....or slow.......or just plain late......but gollygeewhiz we are happy to have you here.

And a great big welcome to another Oregon Girl , I think we have 4 now, Shantall, Winney and now Aleta!  Welcome to both of you ladies.

It is really easy to belong to this board.....now, did you get the rules when you joined?  Sometimes they forget to tell you the rules.

So just in case.....the really really really important rule here?

PICTURES  Yep!  We gotta have pictures....we live for pictures.....

well, and chocolate

but Pictures of everything you are doing....they mean so much to all of us....so be prepared to share! Hoooray....new gals on the board means more pictures!!! :dance:

bear_wub  :hug:  bear_wub

Dilu  bear_tongue

Celena Oxford

Hi Dilu

Thanks for the warm Welcome, really nice to meet you :rose:

My bear is only 16", sitting comfy now on my sister's CPU. I love your gollies....they are SO cute!!!  and cheeky!!

Have a lovely day!

Warm wishes
Celena

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thank you EVERYBODY for your kind thoughts and wishes.  I am well over my grumpy bad mood and decided that while crappy stuff happens - the good definitely outweighs it and you guys are truly "the good"   :)

Judi - you are so right about not compromising anything.  I am happy with my bears - and while I have ideas of the how I want to improve them - I do not want to change my style or look for anybody.  I'm not going to dwell on the whims and fads of ebay or even try and understand it - and I've started trying some new places with my bears too - thanks for the suggestions.

and that's that for this subject  bear_tongue

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Yayyy glad you changed your mind Melissa  :clap: bear_original

Its odd, but here's something for us all to think about when we do have those niggely self doubt self defeating thoughts;

Frequently it is not the bear at all that sells itself but our own enthusiasm.

If we love what we do it spills over into how we do it

If we love what we do it shows in how we speak or write about it

If we love what we do people become infected with our enthusiasm and that alone can make or break a sale

So even when you aren't feeling enthusiastic because nothing seems to be going quite right-fake it!

No, I AM serious....

Plaster on the smile and sell yourself and your bear through your own enthusiasm......

The Gollies told me this was true.....and they wouldn't lie now would they?

:hug:

bear_tongue

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Melissa your Bears are gorgeous and like all the others have said just ignore and keep on
making your lovely Bears.

Hugs
Carolyn

Board footer