Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

I've seen on the web people mentioning that they use copic or prisma colour markers for shading.  I'm under the impression that if you don't airbrush, you can actually draw the shading on to your needle felting?  Does anyone actually do this?  Do you need to somehow blend the ink?  Does the finished product look like you've taken a marker to your work?

Any info would be very much appreciated.  bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Narelle, we have a library (located on the left just above your post) that has a whole section devoted to this issue.  Go there and click on "Airbrushing/Painting/Shading".  I use Prismacolor permanent markers to shade and use a blender marker to - well - blend the colors.

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

Thank you Sue Ann!!  I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.  bear_thumb

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I use the Copic pens for shading on needlefelting - just make sure you have the blender pen on hand.

Marion

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

Hi Marion  bear_original

I think i'm going to try the marker technique and after reading the library, the oil paint technique too.
I'll definitely invest in the blender.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

The blender pens will 'erase' every color (blending it from high intensity down to nothing) except black.
That just smudges to different shades of gray, depending on the brand & how many times you stroked over the fibers.

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

Thanks Bobbie!  bear_original   I've got some Prisma markers but I don't have a blender marker with them.  I think i'll just needle felt a ball of core wool and practice some of the techniques on that so I don't mess up work i've been working for hours on.

Board footer