Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Just wanted to share with everyone that Maisie graduated from Basic Obedience on Saturday. I didn't take the picture and it's blurry, but was the best one she was able to get. The others were a blond blur.

062808_Maisie_Grad.jpg

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  :clap: How wonderful, great picture, CONGRATS!

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi,
You must be a proud mum, well done to Maisie. bear_thumb  :photo:
Love Kayx. bear_wub  bear_wub

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Couldn't be any cuter.  What an adorable dog
Joanne

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

SOoo.....
How did she do in class? Was she a good student or a fool around  bear_tongue
karen

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Thank you all for commenting. She's really cute but very headstrong.

Karen, she was too interested in the other dogs and her attention span got shorter and shorter. The class was 5 weeks for 90 minutes. I got pretty tired, too. I think it was pretty much a "courtesy" graduation for Maisie. The other dogs really did very well.

The trainers suggested I use a Gentle Leader. It goes around her snout and snaps behind her head and the lead is from the head. It's supposed to keep her better controlled bear_whistle . She hated it, and it didn't look comfortable. After about the third class she was still pulling, rolling over, biting the leash, whining. One of the men asked why she had to wear that thing. I looked at him, then Maisie and said, "So she can't do this." bear_tongue

It's so hot here that we can't go for walks or train outside and we're limited to what we can do inside. I think we'll retake the class in the fall.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh what a sassy girl!  Our cairn, Bailey, wasn't exactly an A student in basic training either, but he also graduated.
I daresay Maisie will mellow as she gets older . . . maybe by the fall she'll be ready to settle in and be a good girl.
bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Maisie is her own self  bear_thumb
Let her be herself. My cat, Cally, came with me across country at 20 years old. Lots of my friends said she couldn't survive it; 8 days at motels every night, and days in the car. She LOVEd it. She loved looking out the windows, she loved Motel 8's every night bear_laugh She got to see Bison and Elk close-up bear_rolleyes  She has always been a headstrong character but I think that's what has gotten her through life. She just turned 21.
Karen

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Maisie is very cute  bear_wub  Congratulations!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Wow, Karen, Cally's 21. That's pretty old for cats, isn't it. Funny she enjoyed the trip across country. I don't know cats, but always heard they don't like to ride in the car. She just wanted to get out and see the world.

Headstrong is is just another word for Scotties. I think most terrier breeds are stong-willed. Very frustrating, but I think that's why I love 'em.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Well congratulations, Maisie.  Everybody can't be an "A" student, afterall.  She looks quite smart in her graduation attire anyway.

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

Maise is quite the cutie! i have been wondering about this topic myself..we have a harness on skye,,and i can see the signs already..she walks well until she wants something,,and then bounces and pulls like crazy! we thought about a gentle leader and wonder about the rolling and biting,,,,anyone else want to say what they use on their westies or scotties or Cairns? or isi t an age thing? how old is Maise?
i tell ya..i adore my springer but i love the westie breed!  debsm_skye.jpg

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Deb, Maisie will be 6 months on July 4th. Your Skye is a cutie, too. I would think, that is hope, that it's a puppy thing and she will, hopefully grow out of it. The weather is so hot here right now and will be through September, that we can't go for walks. We do try to take her with us to places like PetSmart and coffee on Saturday mornings to get her used to being around people.

As for the Gentle Leader, Maisie hated that part around her snout. She could still open her mouth because the strap was high on her nose. We were told that a harness with the lead right under her chin is better than one that puts the lead on the middle of her back. You're supposed to have more control. We did recently buy another harness, a Gentle something or other. It's a small harness that goes across her check and clips up on her back and the lead is under the chin. She's still able to do all the twisting, pulling, etc. We're going to practice as we can this summer and probably repeat the class in the fall.

I'm not surprised that you adore your Skye. There's just something about terriers and I just love them. Good luck with Skye.

Board footer